Oilers redesigning their uniforms?

Delicate Genius

I can only hope they go back to the royal blue and orange look, which was eons ahead of the current extremely-dark-looks-black-on-ice blue with the gold and red.

THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK...

People need to let go of the past, end be opened to new design trends.

I hope they don't go back to the Gretzky era. It was great then, but it belongs in the museum.

And I am a huge fan of the colour Orange, I was in heaven watching Oilers' Islanders' games, two teams I loved, ... oh wait! we only had a Black & White TV set...

Point is, every time a pro franchise talks about changing (like the Sabres) the first words you hear are hope it looks like the old - - fill in the year --- shirts.

tradition is good, but no body here would ever aspire to have a job in design if all that teams did was to stick to the traditional old red, blue, green and black shades.

As a Leafs' I recognize the value of tradition, but I'd love to see a darker shade, or an accent of silver or red somewhere.

And for the records, I think the improvements done to the Oilers, darkening, addition of copper, were one of the best effort of updating while keeping a classig logo I've seen in Pro Sports.

Then maybe the Red Wings should change things up a bit? After all, it's been awhile since Gordie Howe played for them.

Blackhawks should make a drastic change because it's been ages since some guy named Hull played for them.

Or how about those pesky Rangers we keep hearing so much?

Montreal hasn't had a cup in awhile...why are they still wearing the same duds?

Seriously, who do the Maple Leafs think they are still wearing Blue and White harkening back to their heydays?

Boston? Come on. Black and yellow? Freshen it up!!!

I hate when teams stick to their past glories like they do.

I tell you!

The Oilers current uniforms look decent, but they are victims of the same thign as many teams; when they skate out on the ice the dark shade of the jersey turns completely black because of the high contrast. I understand that royal blue is out and navy and black are in, but I also like to turn on a game and know who's playing. The Oilers' blue is way too dark and desaturated.

And as for those of you who argue that teams need to freshen things up periodically for merchandising, why is it that the Blackhawks, Maple Leafs and other traditional teams are always at the top of the sales charts? How are sales of Predators and Blue Jackets jerseys doin? Besides, it's not like any pro leagues actually jersey sales; 20 years ago you couldn't even buy a jersey anywhere and if you did it was probably a cheap replica. Jersey sales have only become really popular within the last 10-15 years, probably largely due to the hip-hop culture. But I digress. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Archived