Boxing Fans: Food for Thought

Mac the Knife

Here's something to mull over, and something I'm actually surprised someone here didn't already point out: when Oleg Maskaev knocked out Hasim Rahman on August 13th, it made history in a sense beyond winning the WBC Heavyweight title.

How, you ask?

Well, August 14th marked the first day since June 20, 1960 - 46 years - that at least a share of the Heavyweight boxing title wasn't held by someone of African descent. Ingemar Johansson held the undisputed title before being beaten on that night by Floyd Patterson, and men of African descent (direct or indirect) had held a share of the title ever since.

There's no commentary I'm making here; just something I found interesting.

nav-logo.png

Here's something to mull over, and something I'm actually surprised someone here didn't already point out: when Oleg Maskaev knocked out Hasim Rahman on August 13th, it made history in a sense beyond winning the WBC Heavyweight title.

How, you ask?

Well, August 14th marked the first day since June 20, 1960 - 46 years - that at least a share of the Heavyweight boxing title wasn't held by someone of African descent. Ingemar Johansson held the undisputed title before being beaten on that night by Floyd Patterson, and men of African descent (direct or indirect) had held a share of the title ever since.

There's no commentary I'm making here; just something I found interesting.

I'm not so sure.

Didn't Gerry Coetzee hold part of the Heavyweight title in 1983/84?

He didn't say no whites had won a portion. He said this is the first time in forty years that a portion of the title wasn't held by an african american.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

There is stil boxing going on?

We need the brothers to get them back, we need an America balck or white to make us care again, we need a MIke Tyson to emerge, and not go crazy like the first Tyson did.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

He didn't say no whites had won a portion. He said this is the first time in forty years that a portion of the title wasn't held by an african american.

Yeah. C'mon guys. Grasp the concept a little before responding.

But Joe, note I didn't say 'African American.' I think Lennox Lewis doesn't qualify, nor would Frank Bruno. ^_^

nav-logo.png

Archived