Bcs b.s.

Ez Street

From all I can gather based upon the BCS formulas as I understand them (which is a very limiting subjective standard) because Alabama lost to Hawaii, LSU's standing in the BCS dropped enough to put the Trojans in the Sugar if both USC and LSU win this weekend.  The big question is whether OU is guaranteed a Sugar Bowl bid even if they lose this weekend?  If OU, USC and LSU all wind up at 11-1,and let's just presume OU loses a close game to a surging KSU squad, does OU still get to play for the title even though they didn't win their conference?  I think the BCS folks are saying their prayers that OU wins and that either USC or LSU (but not both) wins in a huge rout.

That's a fair question.  My analysis of the BCS seems to say that OU would likely still go to the Sugar Bowl should they lose this week - their lead in the BCS standings seems somewhat insurmountable at this point.

For those not familiar with it, there's a fantastic resource on how the BCS is determined - collegebcs.com.  It not only gives the who's-where in the standings, but also a comprehensive (if not exhaustive) breakdown of how the calculations are determined.  I can follow it up to the strength of schedule piece where "opponents opponents" are factored in; after that its a little too muddled for me.  But nonetheless, its a great resource.

nav-logo.png

the BCS sucks, if 1-AA can do a playoff, then why cant 1-A? and dont give me that crap about the non-BCS bowls, they can still exist, they'd just get to pick from the non playoff teams.

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

the BCS sucks, if 1-AA can do a playoff, then why cant 1-A? and dont give me that crap about the non-BCS bowls, they can still exist, they'd just get to pick from the non playoff teams.

Don't forget Division 1-AAA.  I saw this really touching story about this guy on ESPN.  He is in the Army Reserves and he signed to go do at like age 18.  He was a really good athlete.  He is waiting for a call to go to Iraq.  He is now like 30 and playing for a Division 1-AAA school.  Anybody else see this?

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Don't forget Division 1-AAA.  I saw this really touching story about this guy on ESPN.  He is in the Army Reserves and he signed to go do at like age 18.  He was a really good athlete.  He is waiting for a call to go to Iraq.  He is now like 30 and playing for a Division 1-AAA school.  Anybody else see this?

point made :)

The Danimal said:

I don't like college sports. Maybe in two years I will when I go to college but not right now. But a big reason why I don't like college sports (especially football) is the way they are judge. Now I relize it's tough because there are so many and they don't play each other.

My problem with the BCS is not the formula, it's the polls. They are to biased. A loss late in the season is worth more than a loss at the begining. I know it's human nature to forget about the begining as the season moves along. Therefor they should be eliminated. Have a playoff of the major conference champs to determine the national. But provide a way for the schools in the mid-major to move up if they become can become good enough.

First things first... Southern Cal deserves to play against Oklahoma because they are the better team.  LSU dug themselves a hole when they shceduled Louisiana Monroe, Arizona, Western Illinois, and Lousiana Tech for non-conference games.  Sure, the SEC was far better than the Pac-10... but the non-conference schedule KILLED the Tigers.

Now, secondly.  Everyone who said that Oklahoma will KILL anyone they play... can i assume that you're the same people that said Ohio State had no chance last year?  Oklahoma is just like Miami was last year... and to be honest... they haven't played a team of the caliber of USC (Texas doesn't count cuz' they can't win big games).

USC has a defensive line that is far superior to any teams that Oklahoma has played to this point and they are more than solid on both sides of the football.  Mike Williams will be tough to stop, even for Oklahoma, and Matt Leinart has put up better numbers than last years Heisman Winner, Carson Palmer.  They had one complete fluke loss and it was Leinart's first conference game.

but LSU's non confrence schedule was more than likely decided before this season, so i dont think it should be held against them, and no matter how you slice it, they have one loss. they should be in the BCS title game. they're getting penalized for winning, and that is SO not right.This is coming from a California-Berkley fan, BTW. it's like the buccaneers being eliminated from the playoffs because of their schedule last year(work with me here). only in NCAA division 1-a.....

The Danimal said:

Don't forget Division 1-AAA. I saw this really touching story about this guy on ESPN. He is in the Army Reserves and he signed to go do at like age 18. He was a really good athlete. He is waiting for a call to go to Iraq. He is now like 30 and playing for a Division 1-AAA school. Anybody else see this?

I saw that. Good story.

Doesn't the BCS expire after this year?

i don't buy the B.S. that a playoff wouldn't produce the same amount of revenue. Furthermore, i don't care about tradition when it get's in the way of FAIRNESS! Look, how can College Football continue to act like a legitimate sport when they have an out-of-wack championship system. Too many chefs in the kitchen, spoil the pot. Have a commissioner or something, just don't let the TOP conferences make it so their teams are in the best positions.

College football is great.. until it comes to Bowl time.....

They need a playoff, utilizing the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, and Orange bowls (preferably with the Rose Bowl being the perrenial Home of the National Championship), so that all the big bowls get their big games, and the people get a true national champion. Anyone who doesn't make the 8 or so team field can go to any one of the numerous other bowls...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived