Florida Rays?

Survival79

If the D-Rays are to change their name (which I'd rather they not), a name with history in this area like Tarpons could fly more than you can think, since it was a minor league team in the area for so long.

I'm sorry, I'm never gonna see that name and NOT think Tampons.

Oh, BTW, meetthemets, last year called, they want their joke back.

:P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this has been brought up before, and people in the area (or who know about marine life) know this: DEVIL RAY IS THE NAME OF THE CREATURE. I know--I've actually played with the things before. They're docile as hell, and plentiful in the Tampa Bay area, as well as most of the FL Gulf Coast.

The big blow-up over all this is the "Devil" in "Devil Ray". Many people associate "devil" with evil, and let's face it: what is that particular part of Florida littered with? A bunch of snowbirds, retirees, and right-wing cloudheads (read:OLD FOLKS) who want no part of the devil in their community. At the root of all this name-change stuff is really a bunch of political b.s. It ain't that hard to filter through the horsedung and see that. Sure, you may want to get away from losing tradition and all that, and maybe a new identity package could do that--hell, it worked for the Buccaneers. BUT THEY KEPT THEIR NAME TOO! AND they started winning. And NOW they have new convert fans all over the place since the re-branding and subsequent reinvigoration. (Of course, that also came with a change in ownership, front office, and coaching staff.)

What I'm getting at here is this: get someone in there who actually knows how to run a baseball team, if you want to rebrand the team do so, but keep the name--it's relative to the area. There's been some decent young talent drafted by them in recent years (although some of it also went away in trades and what-not)...and let it develop.

Easier said than done, but...

this is just one man's opinion. My two rusted Lincolns.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I know this has been brought up before, and people in the area (or who know about marine life) know this: DEVIL RAY IS THE NAME OF THE CREATURE. I know--I've actually played with the things before. They're docile as hell, and plentiful in the Tampa Bay area, as well as most of the FL Gulf Coast.

I believe they are more commonly referred to as Manta Rays...a name that they officially intitally considered, but did not use. For whatever reason. I personally think it sounds better as Manta Rays.

I'm a Christian, but I'm certainly not offended by the use of "Devil" Rays...I just don't think it's a very good name. I guess the original owners thought it sounded tougher or meaner or something...

I guess the original owners thought it sounded tougher or meaner or something...

I heard that someone already owned the name "Tampa Bay Manta Rays".

This should explain it...

It's official: Devil Rays

By Marc Topkin

Published April 3, 1995

Devil Rays stays.

Managing general partner Vince Naimoli said Sunday night that the Tampa Bay baseball expansion team will continue to be known as the Devil Rays.

There initially was strong public reaction against the name and Naimoli said he would consider changing it to Manta Rays. He established a telephone poll and 50,000 calls were virtually even between the names. But Naimoli said that after the first few days, the overwhelming majority of the calls favored Devil Rays.

"I am very pleased to say that fans reacted in exactly the way we thought that they would," Naimoli said. "When they had the time to take a look at the complete package with the colors and logo as it appears on team merchandise, they were as enthusiastic about it as we hoped that they would be."

The sale of team merchandise has been strong in the Tampa Bay area and nationally, Naimoli said.

"Everywhere I went the past two weeks people told me that they loved the logo and colors and that the name Devil Rays grows on you and they didn't want the name to be changed," Naimoli said.

Team vice president John Higgins said: "I didn't see any overwhelming support to justify changing the name."

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

I guess the original owners thought it sounded tougher or meaner or something...

I heard that someone already owned the name "Tampa Bay Manta Rays".

This should explain it...

It's official: Devil Rays

By Marc Topkin

Published April 3, 1995

Devil Rays stays.

Managing general partner Vince Naimoli said Sunday night that the Tampa Bay baseball expansion team will continue to be known as the Devil Rays.

There initially was strong public reaction against the name and Naimoli said he would consider changing it to Manta Rays. He established a telephone poll and 50,000 calls were virtually even between the names. But Naimoli said that after the first few days, the overwhelming majority of the calls favored Devil Rays.

"I am very pleased to say that fans reacted in exactly the way we thought that they would," Naimoli said. "When they had the time to take a look at the complete package with the colors and logo as it appears on team merchandise, they were as enthusiastic about it as we hoped that they would be."

The sale of team merchandise has been strong in the Tampa Bay area and nationally, Naimoli said.

"Everywhere I went the past two weeks people told me that they loved the logo and colors and that the name Devil Rays grows on you and they didn't want the name to be changed," Naimoli said.

Team vice president John Higgins said: "I didn't see any overwhelming support to justify changing the name."

At what point do you just flex your ownership muscles and say 'F' everyone else and call the team whatever you want? Why does EVERY team need to hold some poll or contest? Just freakin' name the team and move on with it!!!

...and 1995 was the that time that could be said. :P

Re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Tampa Bay baseball is nothing less than an unmitigated disaster - not even self-decribed baseball fans in the area follow the Devil Rays.

No big deal - not all expansion markets work out. Time to cut losses and move on - the last uniform changes didn't fix the many problems, and this one won't either.

Re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Tampa Bay baseball is nothing less than an unmitigated disaster - not even self-decribed baseball fans in the area follow the Devil Rays.

No big deal - not all expansion markets work out. Time to cut losses and move on - the last uniform changes didn't fix the many problems, and this one won't either.

The team made solid attendance gains this year, and ownership has also made solid gains with the fans on the PR front.

Put a winning team on the turf and people will come. Sans the bigger markets, I don't think anyone can name a season in which a very bad team drew big crowds.

Moving a team to a San Antonio or a Portland would only move a bad team. In a few years when the new team/stadium smell so to speak wear off, you'll be stuck in the same situation again.

1997 | 2003

The team made solid attendance gains this year, and ownership has also made solid gains with the fans on the PR front.

Put a winning team on the turf and people will come. Sans the bigger markets, I don't think anyone can name a season in which a very bad team drew big crowds.

Moving a team to a San Antonio or a Portland would only move a bad team. In a few years when the new team/stadium smell so to speak wear off, you'll be stuck in the same situation again.

That's true but all that should be noted that it is because the Rays got new ownership prioir to this season. The previous owner pretty much gave an F you attitude to the fans that was part of the reason why it was so bad. IT has improved and my guess it will continue to improve.

Honestly, all I think they need to do is drop "Devil". I actually think they have one of the better uniforms in MLB. Not THE best, but one of the better ones. I think they use the right shade of green well, with properly accented blue (not too much and consistently used in the right places), and now black is relegated to just the Ray (and the helmets, 'til they finally get new ones to match the hats. What's up with that, anyway?). All in all, a fine combination.

And I kinda caught myself off guard with this, cuz I love when there's a potential uniform, and especially name change. And they seem like the perfect candidates. Not been around long (next season is their 10th), always last place team ('cept for 2004, 4th place, not much difference), and they play in a crappy dome. By all means, I'd be extatic at the thought of seeing some cool new changes. But I truely like what they have now. And I know I'll catch some flack for it, but I really hope they stay with this for a long time to come. However, I don't like, on the road script, how they combine the M and P in Tampa. I WOULD change that. Peace. B)

The new ownership group has VASTLY improved every area of the organization, except the major league ballclub, which will come THIS offseason.

Going out and spending 50 million on players on the major league ballclub WITHOUT adding minor league depth, improving coaching and scouting on all levels in the minors, adding major scouting influence in the dominican and venezualan areas(the rays had ZERO presence in those countries before '06), and completely doing a 180 on fan relations and stadium improvements, would make no sense.

The Rays tried that in 2000 when they raised their payroll to the $60 million range, picking up 2 top hitting and 1 top pitching free agents - at the time - and all of them tanked it or got hurt. At that point, the old ownership basically said "EFF IT, we're gonna be cheap and pocket the profits."

E-V-E-R-Y player the Rays have traded for this year has put up numbers, and their number 1 draft pick in june(Evan Longoria) is already in AA. The top pitching prospect(Jeff Niemann) is FINALLY healthy and will be here in '07, so help is on the way.

If you dont know what you're talking about, dont just spew B.S. The new ownership group WILL turn the team around. You cant polish a terd. You have to flush it and start with a fresh bowl of water.

SigReflect.png

I don't care much about the name. I hope they change the logo and wordmarks.

But please, PLEASE don't change the color scheme--the green and blue is one of the best and most unique combos in sports. If anything, I'd like to see more balance between the two--emphasize the blue and green equally.

If you dont know what you're talking about, dont just spew B.S. The new ownership group WILL turn the team around. You cant polish a terd. You have to flush it and start with a fresh bowl of water.

I don't think that will be enough - the bowl itself is contaminated.

In this day and age, when an expansion franchise can only sell out one game in its first season, you're in serious trouble.

The burden is strictly on Tampa Bay fans. They have not done anything whatsoever to prove that they deserve or could support a team, and they've given much evidence to the contrary.

I think "Florida Rays" is a good name. They could tie in the sea creature that they have always used in their logo with the fact that Florida is the "Sunshine State," meaning "Rays" of sunlight. The only drawback is they play in a dome and will never sea actual sunlight during day games... If they could get out of that killer lease and get a new ballpark built, "Florida Rays" might make a lot of sense.

I think "Florida Rays" is a good name. They could tie in the sea creature that they have always used in their logo with the fact that Florida is the "Sunshine State," meaning "Rays" of sunlight. The only drawback is they play in a dome and will never sea actual sunlight during day games... If they could get out of that killer lease and get a new ballpark built, "Florida Rays" might make a lot of sense.

Rocco Baldelli is just a little ray of sunshine!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Honestly, all I think they need to do is drop "Devil".

They already tried that. It didn't work.

When? They've always been the Devil Rays. They just don't use Devil anywhere. They've even said all they may do in 2008 is officially drop Devil and just be the Tampa Bay Rays and even keep the uniform set they have now. Heck, even if they switched to Manta Rays, they really wouldn't need to change anything. But they've never OFFICIALLY dropped Devil from the name.

Honestly, all I think they need to do is drop "Devil".

They already tried that. It didn't work.

When? They've always been the Devil Rays. They just don't use Devil anywhere. They've even said all they may do in 2008 is officially drop Devil and just be the Tampa Bay Rays and even keep the uniform set they have now. Heck, even if they switched to Manta Rays, they really wouldn't need to change anything. But they've never OFFICIALLY dropped Devil from the name.

They might as well have.

They announced that they were removing "Devil" from the uniforms because they believed that the word was turning off fans.

As if they had legions of fans who would otherwise come to the ballpark, if only they weren't giving money to Satan by doing so....

Archived