The long awaited Sabres jerseys

Sabrejeff

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing that picture in white, makes me wonder how 2008 friendly these things are.

They must be fairly close.

Thus the reason for the logo being smaller and on the upper part of the jersey. Next year, there will likely not be as much white on the "stomach" of the jersey, thanks to the redesign.

Also, is the chest number going to be league wide...as the redesign of the arms (thnk tighter) of the newly desgined league wide jersey will eliminate the number on the sleeve/shoulder.

Just random musings. I agree...nice colors, but the overall desgin was not pulled off properly IMO.

If the lines at the Sabres team shop was really stretching almost out of the building like someone said, it makes me wonder about a couple things. 1) Were they buying the new duds, or the classics? 2) If they were buying the new duds, do they actually have no taste in uniforms? :P

The outcry against the Buffalslug should have been enough to convince Sabres management that the direction of their rebranding was a mistake. However, said front-office types hid behind the promise that the new logo couldn't be fully appreciated without seeing it within the context of the new uniforms.

Well, I have to believe that the wailing and gnashing of teeth is only going to grow louder now that these incredibly busy monstosities have been unveiled. I'm usually quite open-minded with regard to the updating of logos and uniforms, but the only thing I find acceptable about the new Sabres unis is the addition of the player numbers on the right front shoulder. In short, the entire Sabres rebranding has been botched... and you can bet that Sabres fans are going to continue to let the team know about it.

My prediction? The backlash against these new uniforms will be of such epic proportions - and the support for the old-school alternates will be so great - that both the Buffaslug and the updated uniform template will be a "one and done" deal. These babies are bound for the scrap-heap of NHL history.

Dude, give them a chance -- check out the video on the Sabres site. They're really not that bad at all. They look really great on the ice and in action.

You know, it's ok to like both the classic and new styles.

There's new designs (see new Ducks jerseys) and then there's a mess. These are a mess.

There's new designs (see new Ducks jerseys) and then there's a mess. These are a mess.

Well, I'd count the Anaheim Wordmarks as a mess also.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

It appears they've messed up the retros...by using the new home blue pants (but retro everything else) with the stripes on the side.

Besides the color being different (pants are darker) the striping on the pants is completely looking out of place.

unveiling-9-16-06-13.jpg

Wow you're right. That does look really awful.

It seems most Sabres fan like the new uniforms however the logo snobs (no offense) hate it. I really doubt the Sabres management cares what the logo snobs have to say, especially since the line to the $abres $tore was almost out of the arena today.

I wonder how many of those people are buying the vintage alternate instead of the slug? Also remember the new uniforms are new and fans like to have the new stuff. That doesn't mean they like it. Jersey sales have almost nothing to do with the quality of the design, and that goes for all sports. I'm sure the Islanders had a line out the store when they unveiled their Fish stick uniforms.

Did they botch the redesign? Yes. The fact that they added the vintage as an alternate at pretty much the last minute pretty much says so. When the logo got leaked the backlash against was great. It reached the point to where there were news reports on the backlash. The Sabres had misread what their fans wanted. They thought all they wanted was blue and gold when really what the fans wanted was an update of the original. Once the Sabres finally realized this it was too late to fix the design and since they saw merchandise sales were going to go down the drain they added the vintage as an alternate. They hope the people who hate the slug will buy the vintage and the few people who like it will buy the new stuff. That leads me to my original question how many people in that line out the door bought the vintage merchandise?

I don't think these will last more than a year or 2 (It will depend on what the NHL allows, regarding exceptions to it's uniform rules). Once the Sabres go one the road and get mocked by opposing fans on top of the pressure from back home to drop them the Sabres will quickly try to get rid of them. The obvious comparison to these is the Islander fish stick uniforms and it was that set of occurrences the led the to be dropped after a year and a half.

The good thing that might be taken out of this is if the backlash is so great against these that the NHL and RBK will try to redesign the new uniforms to more of a traditional look in fear the new stuff won't sell as well as they would hope (they will sell because they are new).

Well, I'd count the Anaheim Wordmarks as a mess also.

The logo could use some work, but it's much better then the old Disney disastors, or the Buffaslug for that matter.

I give you this point to ponder:

These jerseys are only going to be worn for one season, then replaced by the form fitting look. Perhaps this is an indicator of the direction the new templetes will take. Don't blame the Sabres... this could be a sneak preview of a league-wide changeover from traditional to modern.

VmWIn6B.png

my biggest problem with the jersey is that almost all the stripping is on the sleves it look horrible. Just wait for sabre managment to announce that they have decided to wear the vintage jersey 20 games instead of 12. Congratilations buffalo you now have the worst jersey and logo in the nhl aswell as the nfl

Terrible.

These jerseys try too hard. The Sabres were presented the opportunity to return to their classic look, but this is the farthest thing from it. The goat head is closer to their tradition than these glorified pices of :censored:. In some of those pictures the blue on the pants doesn't even match the blue on the jerseys.

JP Dumont must be the happiest person in the world right now.

Was anyone on the boards there? If so, what was the general fan reaction? I hope there weren't a lot of oohs and aahs. I would have preferred more blechs and projectile vomiting.

I just got back. Most of the people cheered I think for the SABRES not the jerseys. But I think most people liked them.

I think the jersyes are manageable, but the logo is :censored:.

As for the Sabres Store. Most people were buying Slug merchandice. I saw 50+ people sporting the new jersyes. And many more with hats, t-shirts, pennants, flags, etc.......

saBS.png

I like the colours.

The jersey design is too much - the striping and the number on the front is original, but somewhat busy.

The logo, to me, is neither here nor there...there are certainly logos that are a lot worse than that in professional sports. The disappointment is more in that there was so much more that could have been done with it.

That being said, I can definitely see these unis growing on me.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Basically, I like the logo and the jersey....never had a problem with the logo in the first place.....and I was at the arena when it was unveiled and I love the jersey. Many people on here are saying they hate the logo and the jersey, but I don't think everyone feels the same way seeing how long the line was to the Sabres store. Quite frankly.....i'm pretty sure many people outside of the sabres fans like the jersey, we just have tons of wannabe critics on here...its sad and quite pathetic lol.

I think these are one of the best jerseys in the league now...and i'm not just saying that cause i'm a sabres fan. Its a sharp design...and for those who think these are done in a few years, you're smoking...it won't happen.

If the lines at the Sabres team shop was really stretching almost out of the building like someone said, it makes me wonder about a couple things. 1) Were they buying the new duds, or the classics? 2) If they were buying the new duds, do they actually have no taste in uniforms? :P

All they were selling today were a few blank blue jerseys. The didnt have any retros or white jerseys today. And everyone at the arena today liked them. Nobody booed.

It appears they've messed up the retros...by using the new home blue pants (but retro everything else) with the stripes on the side.

Besides the color being different (pants are darker) the striping on the pants is completely looking out of place.

unveiling-9-16-06-13.jpg

Wow you're right. That does look really awful.

The pants or Jeff Jillson's hair?

Archived