The long awaited Sabres jerseys

Sabrejeff

It appears they've messed up the retros...by using the new home blue pants (but retro everything else) with the stripes on the side.

Besides the color being different (pants are darker) the striping on the pants is completely looking out of place.

unveiling-9-16-06-13.jpg

Wow you're right. That does look really awful.

The pants or Jeff Jillson's hair?

lmao. both? ;)

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The new uniforms make the retros look like crap.

So then they match?

Cuz I agree. The retros are overrated. They don't balance the yellow and white well, and using just yellow doesn't look that good. Besides that, the old logo really isn't very good. It's a great concept but it needs to be executed much more like JS* designs to be an actual good logo.

But these new jerseys are completely awful. Bad. The logo is bad. There's no sabres.

The Buffalo is yellow when simple tradition asks it be white. It has no legs, and in this case, it needs them. It's a bad, bad logo.

The jerseys are pitiful. The striping. It's every where and in no order. It doesn't look good. It's just bad. And the logos and numbers just float on the jersey. It's gross.

I don't care what jersey the Sabres wear this year, I'm pretty sure they'll be the worst dressed team in the league in every game.

It seems most Sabres fan like the new uniforms however the logo snobs (no offense) hate it. I really doubt the Sabres management cares what the logo snobs have to say, especially since the line to the $abres $tore was almost out of the arena today.

Please don't use the term "snobs" and then somehow act like you're trying to do it with out offending people. It doesn't work.

Feel free to call the people on this board a lot of other things. Maybe people who care more about the jerseys than the Sabres (not in all cases though). But, I'm pretty sure we're not snobs (not most of us anyways).

It's pretty simple. If we see a team trot out an ugly uniform and an ugly logo, we're gonna call them out that. If we see the fans flock to it and buy it like crazy...we're gonna call them on flocking to an ugly design.

Ugly is ugly. We have the right to call it that. And the Sabres new stuff is ugly.

I' not a snob.

The new uniforms make the retros look like crap.

So then they match?

Cuz I agree. The retros are overrated. They don't balance the yellow and white well, and using just yellow doesn't look that good. Besides that, the old logo really isn't very good. It's a great concept but it needs to be executed much more like JS* designs to be an actual good logo.

But these new jerseys are completely awful. Bad. The logo is bad. There's no sabres.

The Buffalo is yellow when simple tradition asks it be white. It has no legs, and in this case, it needs them. It's a bad, bad logo.

The jerseys are pitiful. The striping. It's every where and in no order. It doesn't look good. It's just bad. And the logos and numbers just float on the jersey. It's gross.

I don't care what jersey the Sabres wear this year, I'm pretty sure they'll be the worst dressed team in the league in every game.

It seems most Sabres fan like the new uniforms however the logo snobs (no offense) hate it. I really doubt the Sabres management cares what the logo snobs have to say, especially since the line to the $abres $tore was almost out of the arena today.

Please don't use the term "snobs" and then somehow act like you're trying to do it with out offending people. It doesn't work.

Feel free to call the people on this board a lot of other things. Maybe people who care more about the jerseys than the Sabres (not in all cases though). But, I'm pretty sure we're not snobs (not most of us anyways).

It's pretty simple. If we see a team trot out an ugly uniform and an ugly logo, we're gonna call them out that. If we see the fans flock to it and buy it like crazy...we're gonna call them on flocking to an ugly design.

Ugly is ugly. We have the right to call it that. And the Sabres new stuff is ugly.

I' not a snob.

well well said with all points

Of course you'd say that, especially since this forum has an awful tendancy to become quite Mutual Admiration Society-esque in their views on logos. Seems to me that there's more reaction in the vein of "That's not Buffalo Sabres!" than "Gee, that's ugly!" in places outside of, well, everywhere but here. Coincidence? You make the call.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

someone made these and posted them on the message boards at sabresreport.com

this shows us a glimpse of what COULD have been... using this version or one of the newer humanot designs would have been a total 100% improvement and I think all fans would have settled for it, even if they wanted these weirdly designed jerseys

again, I did not make these and am not claiming I did... I think the logo is one of many humanot's 2003 designs

post-34-1158430331.jpg

post-34-1158430339.jpg

Of course you'd say that, especially since this forum has an awful tendancy to become quite Mutual Admiration Society-esque in their views on logos. Seems to me that there's more reaction in the vein of "That's not Buffalo Sabres!" than "Gee, that's ugly!" in places outside of, well, everywhere but here. Coincidence? You make the call.

I'm really not sure what you just said.

But yes. We call more things ugly than other groups.

We think about design issues and analyze designs more than others groups. It's because we're designers and people who are at least interested in the field.

So, we look at this design...on ALL it's merits...color, striping, consistancy, flow, tradition, logic...and we make a decision. And the majority of us agree that this designs fails on most of those issues.

We see that it's not the Sabres and it's ugly.

Other people just see it's not the Sabres.

Look, there's tons of people you could impress by putting out a website that have links that get bigger and change color when you roll over even though they push all the other text somewhere else. They'd be impressed if you had gradients all over the background. If there were lots of animated gifs. And if the logo had 6 or 7 gradiants and used the font Comic Sans.

But we see all the design principals that breaks and it looks gawdy and ugly to us. We're not wrong for thinking that. We're not lieing that it looks ugly to us. It really does.

The question is whether or not our opinion should mean anything if the general public is fascinated by the look.

I don't know the answer to that. But that's the issue here, not some ganging up of people who hate everything.

For my money, our opinion matters. Because we could apply those design principals, make those of us with a design interest happy, AND impress the general public EVEN MORE.

But, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm right.

We think about design issues and analyze designs more than others groups. It's because we're designers and people who are at least interested in the field.

So, we look at this design...on ALL it's merits...color, striping, consistancy, flow, tradition, logic...and we make a decision. And the majority of us agree that this designs fails on most of those issues.

What's this "we?" Are we talking like a Tyranid Hive Mind? Or something different, like a bunch of bandwagon jumpers who trash 90% of logos that come on this forum through posts that read as though they all have the same talking points?

Dead on target there.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

this shows us a glimpse of what COULD have been... using this version or one of the newer humanot designs would have been a total 100% improvement and I think all fans would have settled for it, even if they wanted these weirdly designed jerseys

again, I did not make these and am not claiming I did... I think the logo is one of many humanot's 2003 designs

post-34-1158430331.jpg

post-34-1158430339.jpg

What could have been :cry:

saBS.png

The outcry against the Buffalslug should have been enough to convince Sabres management that the direction of their rebranding was a mistake. However, said front-office types hid behind the promise that the new logo couldn't be fully appreciated without seeing it within the context of the new uniforms.

Well, I have to believe that the wailing and gnashing of teeth is only going to grow louder now that these incredibly busy monstosities have been unveiled. I'm usually quite open-minded with regard to the updating of logos and uniforms, but the only thing I find acceptable about the new Sabres unis is the addition of the player numbers on the right front shoulder. In short, the entire Sabres rebranding has been botched... and you can bet that Sabres fans are going to continue to let the team know about it.

My prediction? The backlash against these new uniforms will be of such epic proportions - and the support for the old-school alternates will be so great - that both the Buffaslug and the updated uniform template will be a "one and done" deal. These babies are bound for the scrap-heap of NHL history.

Dude, give them a chance -- check out the video on the Sabres site. They're really not that bad at all. They look really great on the ice and in action.

You know, it's ok to like both the classic and new styles.

There's new designs (see new Ducks jerseys) and then there's a mess. These are a mess.

I beg to differ, I think the Ducks new jerseys and logo are uninspired and boring.

I smell lots of ugly tyranny on this board. It bothers me.

post-34-1158430331.jpg

post-34-1158430339.jpg

Even with the better logo, they still look like garbage.

What's this "we?" Are we talking like a Tyranid Hive Mind? Or something different, like a bunch of bandwagon jumpers who trash 90% of logos that come on this forum through posts that read as though they all have the same talking points?

Dead on target there.

What are you hoping to accomplish with this "disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing" attitude you seem to have lately?

I'm afraid to share my true opinions on anything because I know you'll just chop everything up about it and put a label on it.

STL's post was spot-on, if you're uncomfortable with such a setting then, well, you know where to go.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Basically, I like the logo and the jersey....never had a problem with the logo in the first place.....and I was at the arena when it was unveiled and I love the jersey. Many people on here are saying they hate the logo and the jersey, but I don't think everyone feels the same way seeing how long the line was to the Sabres store. Quite frankly.....i'm pretty sure many people outside of the sabres fans like the jersey, we just have tons of wannabe critics on here...its sad and quite pathetic lol.

I think these are one of the best jerseys in the league now...and i'm not just saying that cause i'm a sabres fan. Its a sharp design...and for those who think these are done in a few years, you're smoking...it won't happen.

Then leave.

First thing, I agree AND disagree with all OF YOUSE! The chop here of the last logo with the old gold/blue colors and the new uni style is what the Sabes' new unis should be. Buffaslug should be a 3rd/alternate IF ya have to go all NFL Nouveau and who sez you have to? I will say this, I'm guessing Buffaslug will look good in motion, the motion dynamic the designers are trying might work in game play.

I'm also guessing this being newer than the new Ducks unis that this sleek shape/numbers on front pseudo ROLERBALL (the original) graphic style is what the new Reebok unis are gonna look like. Which is fine, as long as Der NHL don't go to template design, like, uh, MLS, we're looking in YOUR direction . . .

SaberFans, all I can tell you is that THESE will be the unis YOUR Buffaslug Sabers SHALL wear when they hoist that 1ST OF MANY Coupes de Stanley!! Let's just hope the Sabes are wearing the retros WHEN the Cup final is won!

"Everyone is entitled to my own opinion."

Vive la Trance!

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Archived