The long awaited Sabres jerseys

Sabrejeff

Watch what will happen.... They'll sell a lot of these to a good percentage of their fans, they'll sell a lot of throwbacks to a lot of the rest of their fans (especially with the "return" to the colors and by playing 15 games this year in them), and a couple years from now they'll introduce a slick-looking uniform in navy, silver and yellow featuring a modernized version of their old-school logo, as a third. They'll sell the most of these. Then they'll announce that they've made a white version of that and this will be their full-time set, and a few years after that, they'll bring out a gold third and make even more money.

You get more money by getting it wrong sometimes.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to perpetuate the obvious, but holy :censored: these unis are HORRIBLE!!!!

what kills me is that I think the entire thing could be saved if it weren't for the god damned logo! Kill the slug for god sakes and move on with it.

Not a big hockey fan but this thread drew me in as I just had to see what everyone was talking about. All I have to say is agreed, HORRIBLE!

Watch what will happen.... They'll sell a lot of these to a good percentage of their fans, they'll sell a lot of throwbacks to a lot of the rest of their fans (especially with the "return" to the colors and by playing 15 games this year in them), and a couple years from now they'll introduce a slick-looking uniform in navy, silver and yellow featuring a modernized version of their old-school logo, as a third. They'll sell the most of these. Then they'll announce that they've made a white version of that and this will be their full-time set, and a few years after that, they'll bring out a gold third and make even more money.

That wouldn't surprise me.

You mean they're pulling a "New Coke" thing? For those of you who aren't familiar, many believe that the whole "New Coke" fiasco was actually part of one of the best marketing schemes we've ever seen. Give the people what they don't want and then when they get the original back, they love it more than ever.

You mean they're pulling a "New Coke" thing? For those of you who aren't familiar, many believe that the whole "New Coke" fiasco was actually part of one of the best marketing schemes we've ever seen. Give the people what they don't want and then when they get the original back, they love it more than ever.

You never know. I don't know if I like the idea of any team changing uniforms a season before there's supposed to be some radical overhaul to everyone's uniforms.

I'd really like to see this number font on a good jersey. It looks quite nice. Clean and modern, with those slanted tweaks to make it stand out.

And powersurge, I've gotta disagree with you on this one. I think the slug is the least of this uniform's issues. When ownership said the logo would be better appreciated in the context of the uniform, I don't think they meant "You might think the logo is ugly, but wait'll you see the uni we're slapping it on." The sleeves are in need of a complete overhaul, the neck just looks goofy and speaks of unnecessary innovation, and the sides are, good Lord, I don't know what they are. I don't want to look at them long enough to find out. The worst part of this jersey for me, though, is that completely blank bottom. It completely throws off any sense of balance this jersey would have had, and as I mentioned earlier, is an ominous reminder of Reebok's desire to have hockey players tuck in their shirts next season. (BTW, I think I got quoted in Uni Watch Blog for that. If I did, I've just punched my ticket to Uniform Dork Heaven.)

The slug looks tame and reserved in comparison to this sweater. Makes me treasure my yellow Flying V.

Oh, and then there's the issues of modern shells with vintage jerseys... Yeah, donning those old threads for 15 home games wasn't a rush job at all, was it boys?

Now that I take a more detailed look at the unis, I do see what you're saying. The sleeves really do look overdone and very intentional...or as we used to say in my design classes "pretentious". I admire simplicity when it comes to design, especially uniforms. Look at the Phoenix Coyotes for example, I thought their old uniform set was so busy and ugly. Now look at their current ones. They are simple, subtle, and classic. Too bad the Sabres didn't take THAT route.

yeah but why not get it right the first time and by pass the time and money spent on correcting an intentional mistake in the first place. I understand the marketing strategy, but it seems from a economical stand point that it would be better just to take the time and effort and get it right with out having to go through all that.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Go back to the Gil Perrault era-jerseys already. This whole identity just sucks and no amount of ridicule will change that fact.

Go with the old navy blue, white and add a yellow alternate (like Team Sweden) and you will have brand success the likes of which you've never imagined up in Buffalo.

Let's close this thread already.I'm bored with the Slug.

Death to the Slug.

The only reason anyone thinks their old logo is any good is because of tradition.

Why go back to it, as the logo and the unis were horrible.

i think the unis were horrible, because they were inconsistent with using white...

i think every dark jersey needs white, because otherwise it won't be the same color scheme as the white jersey. (sweden excluded, since they don't have a white jersey, so there's no problem)

if the blue unis had more white (other than the logo and the outline on the numbers), they'd be decent...

i was not a fan of the original sabres sweaters... at least not by today's standards. they were fine for their time.

but the logo is great. it's simple, it's iconic, and it says the team name without using words.

yeah but why not get it right the first time and by pass the time and money spent on correcting an intentional mistake in the first place. I understand the marketing strategy, but it seems from a economical stand point that it would be better just to take the time and effort and get it right with out having to go through all that.

because only certain demographics find will find this new look so offensive. I bet most people would say they think it's much better than the original gold, and possibly better than the red and black. People with as much interest in logo design as those who frequent this board tend to have radically different tastes than the majority of the population, and are more tied to the past and simplicity.

And sure, the retros are popular in Buffalo (probably particularly with older fans, but I'm just guessing), but retros -- no matter how ugly -- are popular all over the continent. A bunch of people in Vancouver think that stupid rink and "C" logo is amazing. People in Milwaukee want their ball and glove. And on and on. Nostalgia doesn't work for everyone and usually, it only works in small doses or when it's brought forward with the times and current fashions.

It's not like the Sabres ever won anything in the blue and gold, anyway. They probably had their best era on the ice in the black sweaters.

Archived