The long awaited Sabres jerseys

Sabrejeff

The outcry against the Buffalslug should have been enough to convince Sabres management that the direction of their rebranding was a mistake. However, said front-office types hid behind the promise that the new logo couldn't be fully appreciated without seeing it within the context of the new uniforms.

Well, I have to believe that the wailing and gnashing of teeth is only going to grow louder now that these incredibly busy monstosities have been unveiled. I'm usually quite open-minded with regard to the updating of logos and uniforms, but the only thing I find acceptable about the new Sabres unis is the addition of the player numbers on the right front shoulder. In short, the entire Sabres rebranding has been botched... and you can bet that Sabres fans are going to continue to let the team know about it.

My prediction? The backlash against these new uniforms will be of such epic proportions - and the support for the old-school alternates will be so great - that both the Buffaslug and the updated uniform template will be a "one and done" deal. These babies are bound for the scrap-heap of NHL history.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the worst NHL uniforms to date!

Two lies in this statement.

1) This is not an NHL uniform. It's got ECHL written all over it.

2) There were far worse unis in NHL history. Think Phoenix. Think Vancouver. Think Anaheim's alternates.

But, in the here in now, yes, this is the worst design in the league. Buffalo strikes again. Will we ever stop trying to be fashionable? We are Buffalo! We can't!

EDIT: But at least they have avoided the loathsome laces. I will give credit where credit is due.

Given today's technology, today's massive sea of talented designers (a bunch just on this site alone) and the ability to get instant reaction or "pre-action" as I call it when logos and uniforms are leaked, travesties like this should not happen. So because of all that, I agree with the "worst jerseys to date" statement. This just shows the mistakes that can be made when a franchise is incredibly stubborn and doesn't listen to their fans... who would want to support something that doesn't give a **** about what they think?

My prediction? The backlash against these new uniforms will be of such epic proportions - and the support for the old-school alternates will be so great - that both the Buffaslug and the updated uniform template will be a "one and done" deal. These babies are bound for the scrap-heap of NHL history.

That's too good a scenario to ever occur in Buffalo. If anything, they will probably scrap the retro alternates to replace them with something featuring Sabretooth in blue-yellow camouflage.

Shocking News: CCSLC denizens are outraged at a new jersey/logo. Film at 11. <_<

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Something I noticed about these (and no, I don't like them):

The sleeves and sides are incredibly busy, with all kinds of swooshing elements, none of which can really constitute a "stripe." Look at the bottom of the jerseys, though. There's no striping, no color change, no... nothing. This is clearly a jersey designed with Reebok's form-fitting uni plans for next year in mind. The empty lower half of the jersey strongly suggests that Reebok is still trying to aggressively push that their new jerseys be tucked into the pants next season. After all, what's the point of putting anything on the bottom if nobody's going to see it on the ice?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It seems most Sabres fan like the new uniforms however the logo snobs (no offense) hate it. I really doubt the Sabres management cares what the logo snobs have to say, especially since the line to the $abres $tore was almost out of the arena today.

were there regular John Q Public there or was it all media and team?? If so I would LOVED to have seen the public audience just boo the hell out of it!!! :D

There were probably 10,000 people there and no boo's to be heard.

I don't understand all the hate for the uniforms here.

The outcry against the Buffalslug should have been enough to convince Sabres management that the direction of their rebranding was a mistake. However, said front-office types hid behind the promise that the new logo couldn't be fully appreciated without seeing it within the context of the new uniforms.

Well, I have to believe that the wailing and gnashing of teeth is only going to grow louder now that these incredibly busy monstosities have been unveiled. I'm usually quite open-minded with regard to the updating of logos and uniforms, but the only thing I find acceptable about the new Sabres unis is the addition of the player numbers on the right front shoulder. In short, the entire Sabres rebranding has been botched... and you can bet that Sabres fans are going to continue to let the team know about it.

Dude, give them a chance -- check out the video on the Sabres site. They're really not that bad at all. They look really great on the ice and in action.

You know, it's ok to like both the classic and new styles.

You just don't see stripes anymore, do you. None of these new uniforms have stripes (like those retro Sabres jerseys).

We all know about the blah slug logo, that's been done to death. I was really hoping for some STRIPES on these jerseys.

You just don't see stripes anymore, do you. None of these new uniforms have stripes (like those retro Sabres jerseys).

We all know about the blah slug logo, that's been done to death. I was really hoping for some STRIPES on these jerseys.

See Phoenix.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The jerseys and pants are the same color. They just looked different in that picture because of the reflection on the materials. They match on the ice.

The navy jerseys look much better than the white, but overall, I like them. I'll be getting one this week.

unveiling-9-16-06-14.jpg

Oh no! Is Sabretooth that yellow color now, or did I get so used to seeing him red that I forgot what he looked like when he was orange?

I'll reserve judgement on the jerseys until I get a clear look at them, but for the love of god, make the other horn white!

Sabertooth needs to be taken for a Dip. He's got parasites. A Huge one right on his chest.

I have nothing to sell. Just a Sabres Fan.

Dude, give them a chance -- check out the video on the Sabres site. They're really not that bad at all. They look really great on the ice and in action.

You know, it's ok to like both the classic and new styles.

I'm well aware that "it's ok to like both the classic and new styles" of sports uniforms. Read my post that you quoted. More importantly, attempt to comprehend it. As I wrote, I'm normally quite open to the updating of sports uniforms and logos. In this case, I simply feel that Sabres management - and the design team they selected - botched the rebranding.

Compared to the new logo and uniforms that they officially unveiled today, I think that the team would have been better off simply sticking with their most recent logo and uniform designs (which were "new styles" themselves) and simply switching from Black/Red/Silver/White to the newly unveiled Dark Blue/Dark Gold/Silver/White palette.

Bottom line? You think the Sabres' new logo and uniforms are "really not that bad at all". On the other hand, I believe that the Sabres' new logo and uniforms are monstrosities. Hey... to each their own.

Call me a freak, but I actually like the whole package. There's just something about it that I really like.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived