L.a. relocation nfl possible?

Grish

I think you might be mistaking the Cleveland-LA connection with the Rams, who started in St. Louis as the Gunners but then sold the franchise back to the NFL who then gave the franchise to investors in Cleveland who called the team the Rams and then moved them to LA where of course they eventually became the St. Louis Rams.

You're right, man. I was mistaken. Thanks for your time explaining me all the stuff of the moves.

Not exactly accurate.

The St. Louis Gunners came into the NFL after the Cincinnati Reds were turned back to the league. The Reds played the entire 1933 season and lasted 8 games (0-8) into the 1934 season before folding. The Gunners were an independent team who played against a number of NFL teams in 1933, and took over the Reds schedule and played their final three games of 1934, going 1-2. The Gunners folded in the off-season.

The Cleveland Rams, meanwhile, got their start in the American Football League in 1936. (That AFL was the second of four different rival leagues to bear that name. This one lasted two seasons, 1936 and 1937.) After the Rams finished second in the six-team AFL in '36, they jumped to the NFL the following year. They were replaced in the AFL by the expansion Los Angeles Bulldogs, who went undefeated in the leagues second and final season.

Of course, the Rams continued on in the NFL, eventually moving to Los Angeles and then to St. Louis.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question For Yhollander:

On your last post on this thread, completely off-topic, the Continental League logo on the bottom of your post, is that the late 50's abortive Branch Rickey 3rd baseball league logo?

Was there/is it the actual logo?  For me, there's precious little actual Continental League "history" out there.  I'd deem the whole matter thread-worthy and apologize to those like me geeked up by the whole LA NFL relocation issue.  I sincerely hope that YOUR team isn't relocated but I tell ya, getting back into the League is brutal once you're out!  Hoping for your CL 411, Yhollander & thanks!  :)

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Fab:

The best history on the Continental League I've seen is in a relatively new book outlining the history of the Houston Colt .45's.  I bought a copy but right now can't recall the exact title or author's name, but I think it was "Six Gun Salute" or some such thing.

And I'm pretty sure MJR is right about the Rams origins.

nav-logo.png

Question For Yhollander:

On your last post on this thread, completely off-topic, the Continental League logo on the bottom of your post, is that the late 50's abortive Branch Rickey 3rd baseball league logo?

Was there/is it the actual logo? For me, there's precious little actual Continental League "history" out there. I'd deem the whole matter thread-worthy and apologize to those like me geeked up by the whole LA NFL relocation issue. I sincerely hope that YOUR team isn't relocated but I tell ya, getting back into the League is brutal once you're out! Hoping for your CL 411, Yhollander & thanks! :)

that's actually our new fantasy baseball league logo made by jkrdevil.

Mrfab: The logo in my signature is actually the work of jkrdevil, the commish of the Continental League fantasy baseball league that is starting up next spring.  My team is the St. Louis Browns (using the logo of the AL team that's now the Baltimore Orioles).  You would have to check with jkrdevil regarding what he used as inspiration to come up with the league logo.

And I defer to mjr and the subsequent ratification by Mad Mac regarding the Rams' lineage.  I can only go off of what was disseminated in the St. Louis media during the frenzy that accompanied the Rams' arrival in St. Louis in 1995.  Their sources appear a bit more solid than mine.

*holding his breath that some team chooses Toronto as a place to move to one day*

as much as i enjoy watching the nfl (go bills!) i dont whant a nfl team in canada. one team would kill the cfl. the cfl is a canadian institution and need to be pretected. besides the cfis older then the nfl.

:D THANX CCR logonauts for Continental League 411!  I've seen the Colt 45's history online, bet it has the 411.  It's Sunday, let's have a look-see... hmm... STILL no NFL in LA...

The few of us here who care only hope & pray the CHOKEland

Traitors do NOT have the temerity to try to move BACK here...

Once bitten & all that... Toronto NFL, I'd love to see it & think the CFL would survive, if not their TO franchise.  Is the SkyDome a modern 21st century stadium?  SO many 80's arenas & stadia just didn't age well w/out sufficient luxo boxes, premium seats, bells, whistles etc.  The whole subject is incredibly moot as NFL expansion in this decade is unlikely &

relocation is a "stadium game" component vital to the league.

Which is why there's presently a League LA Stadium Committee.  But you all know that!  Me, I gotta go mock New

Hampshire Eastern League, NOT their fans, just the managers!

T'is the season!  :laugh:

First of all, Washington DC IS a baseball town, don't let MLB's bungling of the Expos relocation fool you.  LA's hard to pin down as a sports town.  With the Lakers' success it's as much a basketball town as a football town.  Still a lot of baseball's played here.  Try to imagine the Lakers' "Showtime",

their flash, their titles, as an NFL team.  That's the dream,

the kind of NFL team that would succeed.  Can you imagine how many NFL free agents would opt for LA?  The League's

TV renegotiations ahead mandate their current LA stadium interest.  Say, wasn't there a past LA NFL logo design thread

somewhere here a few months ago?  :cool:

I certainly hope that Indy can keep the Colts. I think that's been a really good market for the NFL. Granted, they need a serious upgrade to their playing facility, but other than that, they've had great fan support and for those who have never been, Indy is a great city and should be considered an "NFL caliber" market. As for the Chargers, why should the ninth largest city in America lose their team because the second largest city doesn't have one? Are the Chargers having serious attendance problems? Perhaps the Chargers can be part of the solution to the "LA problem" by playing one or two home games in LA, just like Green Bay used to do in Milwaukee? Or perhaps the team should be renamed the Southern California Chargers and they could split 4 and 4?

Isn't Indy one of the lowest teams in the NFL in terms of average attendance?

Pathetic, considering the quality team they have in place.

I've never been sold on Indianapolis being an NFL caliber city.  Jacksonville, either, but that's for a different thread.

First of all, Washington DC IS a baseball town, don't let MLB's bungling of the Expos relocation fool you. LA's hard to pin down as a sports town. With the Lakers' success it's as much a basketball town as a football town. Still a lot of baseball's played here. Try to imagine the Lakers' "Showtime",

their flash, their titles, as an NFL team. That's the dream,

the kind of NFL team that would succeed. Can you imagine how many NFL free agents would opt for LA? The League's

TV renegotiations ahead mandate their current LA stadium interest. Say, wasn't there a past LA NFL logo design thread

somewhere here a few months ago? :cool:

Aren't most Washingtonians Oriole fans anyway?

They've already had two incarnations of the Senators.  Why risk a third, especially when a new ballpark is nothing but a pipedream in some politico's overeager imagination.

I certainly hope that Indy can keep the Colts. I think that's been a really good market for the NFL. Granted, they need a serious upgrade to their playing facility, but other than that, they've had great fan support and for those who have never been, Indy is a great city and should be considered an "NFL caliber" market. As for the Chargers, why should the ninth largest city in America lose their team because the second largest city doesn't have one? Are the Chargers having serious attendance problems? Perhaps the Chargers can be part of the solution to the "LA problem" by playing one or two home games in LA, just like Green Bay used to do in Milwaukee? Or perhaps the team should be renamed the Southern California Chargers and they could split 4 and 4?

Isn't Indy one of the lowest teams in the NFL in terms of average attendance?

Pathetic, considering the quality team they have in place.

I've never been sold on Indianapolis being an NFL caliber city. Jacksonville, either, but that's for a different thread.

Indianapolis has low attendance because the RCA Dome is the smallest venue in the NFL.  I don't think it even holds 60,000.  However, they do well percentagewise.

YAR Astonvillian!

Most DC area baseball fan folks I know are adamantly NOT Orioles fans & rather resentful they're expected to be.  The Metro DC area, apart from the Baltimore area, is a HUGE demographic & in general a great sports town.  Heck, they support their WNBA team big time.  As it stands, there's a $125 million shortfall between MLB, DC, & the potential ownership group in funding a new stadium.  Which is why the

Expos remain impoverished baseball vagabonds.  Can the DC/Baltimore area support 2 teams?  This is the BIG question;

I'd have to assume the Orioles are entitled to a territorial infringement indemnity from any DC team.   ???   This is all WAY off topic anyway, but there ya go!  And keep the Colts in Indy but make them give the Colts name back to Baltimore.

To which, what would be a good new name, Indy NFL fans? :D

Archived