Falcons: Playing THEIR game, or Vick must pass mo'

paynomind

OK, here is the question:

Are the Falcons enjoying success because they are playing the game that best suits their skills and their talent, or, are they a failure and a paper tiger until Vick figures out how to pass for 300 yards a game?

My thoughts:

Everyone seems to think that Vick CAN'T throw. He has one of the biggest arms in football. You can read and read articles about how far and how hard he can throw.

A top ten offense in 2005 averaged 225 yards a game passing. A top ten rushing performance was 122 ypg. So, your top ten offense netted 347 yards. Right now, Atlanta is averaging 252 rushing against two highly touted defenses. They had 104 passing. That?s a total of 359, right in our top ten wheel house.

The question is:

What determines what a QB must do?

I think you guys are mistaken in believing that a QB MUST throw for 250 yards a game to be successful. You seem to think that Vick should throw for 250, and run for 50. I?m sorry, but that?s what Steve Young did. Vick is not Steve Young.

It is my belief that a QB must lead his team to a win. But I wont stop there. What must he do to net his team a win? He must lead an offensive attack that nets the team something in the 350-total yards realm.

Who says that must be 250-100. or 225-125. Why not 200-150. Or 175-175. Maybe, even? 100-250.

I don?t pretend that the Falcons can rush for 250 yards every game. But if they do, Vick does not need to pass for more than 100. If the team is on pace for rushing for 150, he?d better step up and pass for 200.

I think Vick is doing a fine job this season. His passing yards have been opportune. His threat to run opened up many of the passing options. Eventually, teams will begin to load the box, or run 5 man lines against them to shut down that run, and then Vick will need to pass.

I think the Falcons finally have 3 solid, if not flashy, receivers, and Vick will most likely get his chance to hit them.

But if not, and the Falcons run for 250 every game, I?ll be happy with his passing for 100.

And if that happens, I?ll enjoy my favorite team?s Super Bowl victory.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Let Vick play his game. If you try and make him throw the ball more, he goes from being an elite player to being an average player.

edit: It could happen. Falcons in the Super Bowl, that is. It's a confident football team. Warrick Dunn said that there's so many holes it's like practice when he's running, and that's against one of the leagues better defenses. I just saw how they're running a spread option, kind of. Can't believe nobody thought of trying that with Vick and Dunn earlier.

IUe6Hvh.png

I've been mentioning "Falcons" and "Super Bowl" the day they traded for John Abraham. Then when they added help in the secondary, I added "Victory" to that statement.

Looks like you changed your tune a bit, Payno. You were really pushing for a vertical passing game a couple months ago.....

Well, despite what Gregg Easterbrook thinks, I think an option-first offence would work for a team in the NFL if you had the right personnel... like the Atlanta Falcons. They have enough passing threats to keep teams from putting 8 men in the box, but have the speed in the backfield to run it. Heck, they've shown they could do it the first two weeks this season, so why not make the plunge and hire Tom Osborne as an advisor and get Tommy Frazier as Vick's backup? :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I saw it in Chicago last year is all. No the bears weren't the best team rushing the football, but they managed the game, let their very good running game control the tempo, and the second best defense win the game.

But when the playoffs came, they got blown out of the water by a much better passing team.

I'm not saying they can't do it.(I hope they don't cause they'd have to be there instead of chicago:)) I love the running game. I love defense. I've only played football in option offenses and I love it. But I was a believer in the rush/defense could win a NFL championship until the second round of the playoffs last year.

Trust me, I'm not hating. I was making the same argument you are right now 12 months ago.

Well, despite what Gregg Easterbrook thinks, I think an option-first offence would work for a team in the NFL if you had the right personnel... like the Atlanta Falcons. They have enough passing threats to keep teams from putting 8 men in the box, but have the speed in the backfield to run it. Heck, they've shown they could do it the first two weeks this season, so why not make the plunge and hire Tom Osborne as an advisor and get Tommy Frazier as Vick's backup? :P

They're calling it the "spread option" here in Atlanta. The problem with Vick is yes, he can throw. But in baseball they say there's a difference between throwing and pitching. Same in the NFL, there's a huge difference between throwing and passing. Good decisions and accuracy are the keys, and Vick needs to work on both.

As for their offensive scheme, it'll work until the inevitable happens - Vick gets drilled and is injured...again. It's too bad for the Falcons, but as Vick goes so do they. When he's been hurt before, the team just folded their tent.

I just hope my Saints can slow them down enough to be competitive Monday night.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

If it was any quarterback not named Mike Vick this wouldn't even be a question. Mike is somehow supposed to completely change the type of player he has always been just to fit into what a bunch of meatheads who have 6 fantasy football teams want to see. Is anyone gonna clamor for Reggie Bush to change his style? No, the Saints are going to use his strengths to bolster their offense/special teams. The Falcons need to use Vick's strengths, not try to smother him and make him a "pocket passer" or whatever term is PC for "we need to stop this black quarterback from running around all the damn time." And don't give me this "he's a thrower, not a passer" or "he's a running back playing quarterback" bull :censored: either. Dude wins 2/3 of his starts. Everything else is just details. What good is putting up 300 yard games if you lose? Though Herman Edwards is a horrible coach, he totally nailed it when he said, "You...play...to...win...the...game!" Give me the guy that wins ugly over the guy that makes losing look good any day.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Glad you're not bitter. B)

I didn't say he should change his style, in fact it's exciting to watch. I said he's not an accurate passer and that he's going to get hurt running. Both of those statements hold up. His completion percentage is rarely over 50% and he's been hurt several times. Rant away, it doesn't change the facts.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

"Whah, ah say, suh, ah do declare it is the very nature of the Negro to run with the football rather than pass it to a membah of his team."

That's the best Philadelphia accent I've heard in my entire life!

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I saw it in Chicago last year is all. No the bears weren't the best team rushing the football, but they managed the game, let their very good running game control the tempo, and the second best defense win the game.

But when the playoffs came, they got blown out of the water by a much better passing team.

I'm not saying they can't do it.(I hope they don't cause they'd have to be there instead of chicago:)) I love the running game. I love defense. I've only played football in option offenses and I love it. But I was a believer in the rush/defense could win a NFL championship until the second round of the playoffs last year.

Trust me, I'm not hating. I was making the same argument you are right now 12 months ago.

passing team, or better D?

remember it all here: http://www.playbyplaydiagrams.com/2005NFL/...v20car@chi.html

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

If it was any quarterback not named Mike Vick this wouldn't even be a question. Mike is somehow supposed to completely change the type of player he has always been just to fit into what a bunch of meatheads who have 6 fantasy football teams want to see. Is anyone gonna clamor for Reggie Bush to change his style? No, the Saints are going to use his strengths to bolster their offense/special teams. The Falcons need to use Vick's strengths, not try to smother him and make him a "pocket passer" or whatever term is PC for "we need to stop this black quarterback from running around all the damn time." And don't give me this "he's a thrower, not a passer" or "he's a running back playing quarterback" bull :censored: either. Dude wins 2/3 of his starts. Everything else is just details. What good is putting up 300 yard games if you lose? Though Herman Edwards is a horrible coach, he totally nailed it when he said, "You...play...to...win...the...game!" Give me the guy that wins ugly over the guy that makes losing look good any day.

I could be wrong about everyone else, but to me it has nothing to do with him being black.

Rex Grossman could have 3 eyes and be purple and I wouldn't care. If his 3 eyes and purple skin are running all over the place, winning regular season ball games I'm going to be happy. However if he doesn't throw the ball well, I'm personally going to be concerned about the Bears playoff chances.

Same goes the other way. Right now, the Bears are moving the ball well. But their running game isn't doing too well. If the bears have a home playoff game, and can't run the ball all year, I'm very concerned.

Anyway...I love football. 2 weeks in and we're already heated. :D

"Whah, ah say, suh, ah do declare it is the very nature of the Negro to run with the football rather than pass it to a membah of his team."

Huh?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No one is asking Vick to be Peyton Manning. However in order to win consistently in the NFL a team needs to have a balanced passing and running attack. You can't have no running game what so ever and you can't be a team that doesn't have an effective passing attack either. So far this season the Falcons defense has carried them. The Falcons haven't been lighting up the scoreboard. My question is what do they do if the defense has a bad game and allows some points is Vick going to be able to lead them back without having a good passing attack.

Again I'm not asking Vick to be Peyton Manning and stand in the pocket and throw for 400 yards a game and not run. However Vick should not have double the number of rushing yards than passing yards. If he can throw for over 200 yards consistently and then run for 60-70 then that is good for the Falcons and will help them win more consistently. His running abilities should aid his passing game. Help keep the defense more honest, which will open up receivers. And that will be using his abilities to the best of his abilities. As of now team will just key on him and Dunn to run and the Falcons will struggle in the long run.

I was going for Fritz Hollings :(

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Huh?

What?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

His running abilities should aid his passing game.

Why can't it be the opposite?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

:notworthy:

You sir, know what's up.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived