TCF Bank Stadium Groundbreaking

bucskick20

Retro the Metro- I would think would be easier and cheaper than trying to build a brand new stadium.

If the Vikes are the only tennant in the Metrodome, couldn't they retofit it to suit a football only environment? They won't have to worry about dealling with baseball games or Gopher games.

Take the all baseball stuff out of it and put in permanate seating as a football only venue,. I wonder if it's possible to add more seats than they currently have. If not more seats then perhaps more profitable luxury boxes as that seems to be the thing that owners go for nowadays. They could also eliminate the obstruced seats as they would no longer need to adhere to baseball field standards.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

My only question about the new Gopher Football Stadium is where in the heck are you supposed to park? There's grain elevators to the one side and Hockey and Basketball arenas off to the other. There's really just no parking there now except for the lots they are going to lose when the football stadium is built. I hope they build a train line over that way at the same time.

Well, even though they are building the stadium on an existing parking lot, check out this "Stadium Construction" web-site, where it details that the present location will go from 3,008 parking spots (see "Existing Configuration") to 3,203 parking spots (see "Phase 3"). Still not enough for 50,000 spectators, but you have to figure some of those will walk from dorms, and some will park else-where on campus, and walk a short ways as well... At least they aren't decreasing parking in that area.

Moose

edit - Existing Configuration:

existing_lg.jpg

Phase 3:

const_area_lg.jpg

Retro the Metro- I would think would be easier and cheaper than trying to build a brand new stadium.

If the Vikes are the only tennant in the Metrodome, couldn't they retofit it to suit a football only environment? They won't have to worry about dealling with baseball games or Gopher games.

Take the all baseball stuff out of it and put in permanate seating as a football only venue,. I wonder if it's possible to add more seats than they currently have. If not more seats then perhaps more profitable luxury boxes as that seems to be the thing that owners go for nowadays. They could also eliminate the obstruced seats as they would no longer need to adhere to baseball field standards.

The thing about the metrodome is it is not just football a baseball. It hosts NCAA tournament games quite often. It also hosts Monster Trucks Rallys, Snow mobile races, Events in which many things are sold, such as bathrooms equiptment... ect. So it will never be a football only thing

256dy87.jpg

If that's how it ends up looking, that's very nice.

Illinois is doing a much needed renovation to Memorial Stadium that's gonna be a 2 or 3 year process, but when it's done, it's gonna look excellent, which means lots of nice looking BigTen stadiums.

How many times do I have to say this? It's going to end up looking nothing like that artist rendering!

Again, look at the date on this article (March 25, 2005 for those too lazy to click). Note that it contains the exact same rendering posted above. Also note that the University didn't hire HOK Sport until June 8, 2006, as noted on this site...

Who here thinks HOK's going to come in and take an existing pre-design and just build that? Why would the university even bother bringing in HOK if they already had the stadium designed? That rendering was done simply to sell a concept to the public and state legislature, nothing more.

How do you know HOK doesn't like the plans... And even if they don't, Why don't you show us something closer to what will be built and then we will talk about the stadium.

256dy87.jpg

Illinois is doing a much needed renovation to Memorial Stadium that's gonna be a 2 or 3 year process, but when it's done, it's gonna look excellent, which means lots of nice looking BigTen stadiums.

How many times do I have to say this? It's going to end up looking nothing like that artist rendering!

Again, look at the date on this article (March 25, 2005 for those too lazy to click). Note that it contains the exact same rendering posted above. Also note that the University didn't hire HOK Sport until June 8, 2006, as noted on this site...

Who here thinks HOK's going to come in and take an existing pre-design and just build that? Why would the university even bother bringing in HOK if they already had the stadium designed? That rendering was done simply to sell a concept to the public and state legislature, nothing more.

How do you know HOK doesn't like the plans... And even if they don't, Why don't you show us something closer to what will be built and then we will talk about the stadium.

Because HOK didn't come up with them! Okay, I'm on a committee here in Bemidji, MN where we are trying to get an Events Center built. Draw the parralels from the Bemidji Regional Events Center to the Gopher Football Stadium:

The City of Bemidji hired Schoen Associates a year ago to Pre-Design the Events Center. They came-up with conceptual drawings to take to the State Legislature to get preliminary funding for an architect and to stir-up interest in town for a referendum. Just this past Monday, the City hired Leo A. Daly as the Lead Architect for the project. It is a given that Leo A. Daly will come in and design their own building.

Now look at the Gophers. Again, a local Minneapolis firm was hired to do the Pre-Design to take renderings to the State Legislature, and to stir-up local interest in the project. Now that HOK has been brought in, there will be certain things about the project that stay the same, such as the stadium remaining a horshoe configuration, but everything I've read states that HOK will design their own building. That's just how it works.

Think of it this way - Why would HOK (the worlds leading sports stadium design company) come into a project that they had absolutly no creative controll over? Now, the University of Minnesota will have a say in what it wants (they won't be forced into the next Phoenix Cardinals Stadium if that's not what they want), but HOK has to have some say in the design as well...

Moose

edit - And as far as me showing you what the stadium will look like - I have no idea! Why is that? I don't work for HOK, or the University, nor HOK hasn't released any new renderings yet!

Because HOK didn't come up with them! Okay, I'm on a committee here in Bemidji, MN where we are trying to get an Events Center built. Draw the parralels from the Bemidji Regional Events Center to the Gopher Football Stadium:

The City of Bemidji hired Schoen Associates a year ago to Pre-Design the Events Center. They came-up with conceptual drawings to take to the State Legislature to get preliminary funding for an architect and to stir-up interest in town for a referendum. Just this past Monday, the City hired Leo A. Daly as the Lead Architect for the project. It is a given that Leo A. Daly will come in and design their own building.

Now look at the Gophers. Again, a local Minneapolis firm was hired to do the Pre-Design to take renderings to the State Legislature, and to stir-up local interest in the project. Now that HOK has been brought in, there will be certain things about the project that stay the same, such as the stadium remaining a horshoe configuration, but everything I've read states that HOK will design their own building. That's just how it works.

Think of it this way - Why would HOK (the worlds leading sports stadium design company) come into a project that they had absolutly no creative controll over? Now, the University of Minnesota will have a say in what it wants (they won't be forced into the next Phoenix Cardinals Stadium if that's not what they want), but HOK has to have some say in the design as well...

Moose

edit - And as far as me showing you what the stadium will look like - I have no idea! Why is that? I don't work for HOK, or the University, nor HOK hasn't released any new renderings yet!

Alright, well the Gophers might want something that resembles Metropolitan Stadium. If thats so, this is what they are looking for. But I don't know what they want. I posted the pictures the Gophers put with their arcticle, which was posted WITHIN THE LAST WEEK.

And its Arizona Cardinals

256dy87.jpg

Moose

Alright, well the Gophers might want something that resembles Metropolitan Stadium. If thats so, this is what they are looking for. But I don't know what they want. I posted the pictures the Gophers put with their arcticle, which was posted WITHIN THE LAST WEEK.

And its Arizona Cardinals

Whatever, stay in denial. But when the University releases new renderings, I'll be here with a "told ya so..."

Moose

And here's that told you so:

"Those eager to see what the 50,000-seat, open-air stadium will look like will have to wait until October, when HOK plans to release preliminary sketches of what will be called TCF Bank Stadium..."

Also, as to my origional statement that another firm did the Pre-Design, note this:

One firm that won't get the opportunity is Crawford Architects. The news came as a shock and disappointment to founding partner Stacey Jones, considering his firm did all the planning for the stadium up to this point - a job his firm won over HOK.

According to Jones, that planning included a design, a budget and the site.

"We invest heavily emotionally, professionally and financially in the winning of these projects, and we were very conscious that we were making that investment," Jones said. "So when you fail to prevail, then disappointment is an understatement."

Jones said his firm was told it was HOK's experience that made the difference in the decision.

Hmm, sounds like something I was talking about with the Bemidji Regional Events Center project, no? Schoen doing the Pre-Design, but not getting the Architects job? Now the Gophers preliniary sketches from HOK are being released in October... Interesting...

Moose

A question for Moose:

But isn't there an intent to go with the horseshoe look as an imitation, somewhat, of old Memorial Stadium?

Yes, and I said that somewhere if you go back and read that long origional post of mine:

Now that HOK has been brought in, there will be certain things about the project that stay the same, such as the stadium remaining a horshoe configuration, but everything I've read states that HOK will design their own building. That's just how it works.

All I've been saying is HOK is going to design their own building. The University of Minnesota is going to be involved in the process, and if they want a horseshoe look as a tribute to Memorial Stadium, that's what they'll get. However, Crawford Architects did the rendering that's been posted here, and what HOK comes up with is going to look different from that design...

Moose

Archived