Michigan State to wear throwback helmet

deliver2david

Michigan State will wear throwback (Spartan) decals on its helmet to replicate the look of the team's 1966 helmet. In addition to changing the side decals, a single white stripe will be added down the center of the helmet. The player's jersey number will appear on the back of the helmet, with the white stripe dividing the double-digit numbers.

Both teams (Notre Dame and MSU) will wear 1966 "Game of the Century" commemorative patches on the front of the game jerseys.

Source: MSUspartans.com

Helmet:

633112.jpeg

Patch:

633030.jpeg

Perhaps the Trojan was inspired by the Spartan? I don't know. The Helmet Project has that particular MSU Spartan logo predating the well-known USC Trojan by about 7 years.

Yep. For many years, including the O.J. simpson years, USC didn't have a logo on the helmets.

I was wondering the other day how Coach Smith felt because he left Louisville to be at Michigan State, and Louisville has been nationally ranked almost every week since his departure. Also, Louisville was ranked 12th in the nation and killed Miami 31-7 to move up to 8th.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Cool idea by the Spartans. I love the center white stripe. I hate the stripeless version.

When John L. Smith gets fired, the new coach will switch back to the block S helmet and put the names back on the jerseys, as it should be.

I can't stand the block S. There are too many colleges that use it as a logo and it's just boring. I do agree that they do need some sort of stripe though. I love the Cedric Irvin Triple Stripe days (but make the green darker to match their current color scheme)

northwestern.jpg

Troy (in Turkey) was conquered by a coalition of various greek city-states in the Trojan War. Sparta was a principal player in this because its king's daughter was taken to Troy and that started the war.... I think that's right.... The war may be a myth anyway.

The interesting ramification of this MSU logo around this time (actually a few years earlier) comes from one of the higher-up administrators at Marquette University. He told me that in the 1950s, when Marquette was looking to change its nickname from Hilltoppers to Warriors, that they initially considered a "spartan" mascot. I have no reason to doubt his word.

At the time, Michigan State had a home-and-home football (yes, I know) series with Marquette. MSU essentially said that the use of a greek warrior by Marquette would lead to the cancellation of their series with the struggling MU football program (MU cancelled football in 1960). State's thinking was it was too close to their logo, and the schools' proximity (both in the midwest) would infringe on MSU's nickname.

As a result, Marquette instead opted to go with a Native American "Warrior" symbol and the rest is history.

Cool idea by the Spartans. I love the center white stripe. I hate the stripeless version.

When John L. Smith gets fired, the new coach will switch back to the block S helmet and put the names back on the jerseys, as it should be.

Totally disagree. The Sedrick Irvin days, with stripes all over the helmet, the pants, and San Diego numbers were too much. The uniform set they have now is the best they've had in years. You can only do so much with 2 colors, and recently the Spartans have tried to get way too complicated for their own good.

2002065034.jpg

Simple and beautiful, without being boring.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Yep. I also love MSU's current unis. The right colour, the right helmet logo -- the works. My only minor nitpick is the "Michigan State" font. I wish it was in block letters to match the numbers. But again, that's barely worth mentioning...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Yep. I also love MSU's current unis. The right colour, the right helmet logo -- the works. My only minor nitpick is the "Michigan State" font. I wish it was in block letters to match the numbers. But again, that's barely worth mentioning...

I was just thinking the same thing. Can't think of a serif, football font that has worked.

are they going to plant a 'throwback' flag into the 50 yard line too?

I doubt they would disrespect themselves as much as they did Notre Dame, and state will lose anyways. I kinda wish Notre Dame would do it back, and see how state likes it, But they have more class than that.

MegatronSig2.jpg

are they going to plant a 'throwback' flag into the 50 yard line too?

I doubt they would disrespect themselves as much as they did Notre Dame, and state will lose anyways. I kinda wish Notre Dame would do it back, and see how state likes it, But they have more class than that.

The State upperclassmen pretty much said it was classless thing to do and the players responsible were reprimanded.

Archived