NY Rangers will wear Puerto Rico Flag on sholder

DEAD!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Florida? Seems kind of weird that the "home" team might not.

And is singing "O Canada" when a Canadian team comes to play in America a "shameless marketing ploy?" Puerto Rico has never seen hockey before, let them feel welcome to it.

EDIT: Ok, I must have misread something, New York is the home team.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

how can I say this without sounding "anti" Hispanic? :oops:

Just a senseless move to attract a different crowd to the game.

Uh what, they're playing in Puerto Rica to reach out to new fans. Duh, it's not a shameless plug, it called expanding your fanbase.

MLB plays in Japan

NFL has played in Mexico and England and Germany.

Isn't a business supposed to try to find more people interested in their product?

Lets not forget about the NHL in Japan to open the 1997-98 and 1998-99 seasons. Also I believe that the NBA goes to Japan on oocation. The NFL has also gone to Australia as well. It also is the same with not so traditional North American sports. The AFL's (Aussie Rules Football) Sydney Swans and another team go to UCLA and play a game there every year.

Lets not forget about the NHL in Japan to open the 1997-98 and 1998-99 seasons. Also I believe that the NBA goes to Japan on oocation. The NFL has also gone to Australia as well. It also is the same with not so traditional North American sports. The AFL's (Aussie Rules Football) Sydney Swans and another team go to UCLA and play a game there every year.

As far as I know, the Swans don't play in LA every year, just this year. However, the AFL has had after-season exhibition games at the Oval in London, England the last few years.

I saw, I came, I left.

now this, is awesome.

expand your fanbase, no matter where it might be. It makes sense for the Rangers and Panthers to market to fans in Puerto Rico, seeing as how they both play in markets with a large Puerto Rican population.

and contrary to what certain closed minded shallow individuals might think, there are latino hockey fans out there. Not just in New York and Miami either, but in Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, and I know this for a fact, SAN JOSE.

Its time to accept it, hockey is for everyone, no matter what ethnicity you are or the climate where you live.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to pull thier head out of thier ass and wipe the :censored: off thier upper lip.

heck if I were Puerto Rican I'd be an Islanders fan..lol..Puerto Rico Island? long island, lsland? get it? get it? hehehehehe..that was dumb..lol

Well, they actually have a soccer team called the Puerto Rico Islanders that play in the USL Division I. :)

I saw, I came, I left.

Why the hell would they want to play a hockey game in Puerto Rico? I could see a game played in Japan, but Puerto Rico?

Why don't they play a game in Mexico while they're at it. They might as well wear shoes on surfboards.

its really no different than putting baseball teams in Quebec now, is it? :rolleyes:

Why the hell would they want to play a hockey game in Puerto Rico? I could see a game played in Japan, but Puerto Rico?

Why don't they play a game in Mexico while they're at it. They might as well wear shoes on surfboards.

...makes you wonder, eh? ^_^

Quebec_Rafales.gif

I saw, I came, I left.

Sounds like a good idea to me! These guys may be interested if you're game...

http://www.iihf.com/iihf/member/member_l.htm#m

Mexico (MEX)

President: Alfonso Gomez Haro

General Secretary: Alejandro Saenz Flores

Federacion Deportiva de Mexico de Hockey sobre Hielo A.C.

Ave. Lomas Verdes 77

Col. Santa Cruz Acatlan

Naucalpan, Estado de Mexico 53150

Mexico

Phone: +52 - 55 - 5363 4507 and 5363 4586

Fax: +52 - 55 - 5363 4344

e-mail: hockeymex@prodigy.net.mx

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

now this, is awesome.

expand your fanbase, no matter where it might be. It makes sense for the Rangers and Panthers to market to fans in Puerto Rico, seeing as how they both play in markets with a large Puerto Rican population.

and contrary to what certain closed minded shallow individuals might think, there are latino hockey fans out there. Not just in New York and Miami either, but in Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, and I know this for a fact, SAN JOSE.

Its time to accept it, hockey is for everyone, no matter what ethnicity you are or the climate where you live.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to pull thier head out of thier ass and wipe the :censored: off thier upper lip.

Here, here!! I agree with every bit of that except the last sentence, that was a little crass. And it's not just Latinos.

People are all over Bettman for "over-expansion" but I thought it was perfect. Obviously it's going to have to take some time but it is working. People have to understand that. Same with the "new rules" leading to increased powerplays.

heck if I were Puerto Rican I'd be an Islanders fan..lol..Puerto Rico Island? long island, lsland? get it? get it? hehehehehe..that was dumb..lol

Yeah but who would wanted to be stranded on an Island with a team with a mediocre goalie for 15 years. :D

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived