Arsenal - Sheffield United

officeglenn

A few things I saw while watching this morning's Arsenal-Sheffield United match:

- Sheffield defender Alan Wright took a bit of a kick to the head early in the first half and started to bleed. He went to get patched up and had to change his shirt as well. When he came back, he was sporting a jersey with no number on it. By the second half, he still had the bandage on his head, but was back with No. 25 on his shirt.

- Later in the first half, Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas also started bleeding and had to change his shirt as well. When he came back into the match, he was wearing what the commentators called a "rather natty looking No. 49." He was back to his regular No. 4 in the second half.

- I also noticed that on Arsenal's jersey, the small cannon on the back of the shirt is just underneath the collar. In another game earlier this season, I could have sworn it up on the white part of the collar.

Not sure about the gunner icon but the shirts is due to the fact that you are not allowed to wear a shirt with blood on. Most teams take 2 shirts per player a long and short sleeve, then have a blood shirt with a random number on and then a couple of blank ones just in case.

logo.png

Not sure about the gunner icon but the shirts is due to the fact that you are not allowed to wear a shirt with blood on. Most teams take 2 shirts per player a long and short sleeve, then have a blood shirt with a random number on and then a couple of blank ones just in case.

Hmm. That seems like an awful lot to keep track of for the equipment manager.

The Gunner logo has always been on the bottom of the collar in the red. If it wasn't then it was a fake shirt. The blood thing is the reason some teams don't like to wear white or light colored jerseys.

I too could have sworn that i saw the gold cannon on the back of the white collar rather than just below on the red jersey...

I noticed another interesting thing in this game.

During the second half, a young fan (about 12 or so, I think it was a girl) could be seen in the front row along the far touchline wearing an Arsenal jersey -- with an LA Angels cap! The colours matched perfectly -- the fan was clearly coordinating these items, using the Angels cap as some kind of makeshift Arsenal cap!

(If I remember correctly, for anyone who recorded the game, I think it was in the second half, some time between the 65th-70th minute or so. I saw it as an Arsenal player (perhaps Gallas) was about to do a throw-in. If I have not recorded over the game on my tape, I will doublecheck this.)

The only other instance that came to mind of an intentional use of a "makeshift" hat was in fiction: in M*A*S*H, Klinger wore a hat that was intended to be a Toledo Mud Hens had, but was actually an original (and then-current) Texas Rangers hat.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I would imagine it was just something the English chick thought looked cute - a lot of Ali G-alikes apparently buy Portland Blazers stuff in England for the obvious references *sigh*. Or she could be from L.A. Either way, that *would* match up rather well.

I think the early mock-ups of the shirt had the cannon on the collar, but Nike moved it down for the final production version.

Blood shirts sound about right too, and I can imgaine they'd have random blank ones in soccer - I know they have extras of the numbers in rugby, it's a bit more of a common occurrance.

harperdc.gif

The Gunner logo has always been on the bottom of the collar in the red. If it wasn't then it was a fake shirt. The blood thing is the reason some teams don't like to wear white or light colored jerseys.

I too could have sworn that i saw the gold cannon on the back of the white collar rather than just below on the red jersey...

harperdc is right - the leaked mockups had the gold cannon on the white collar, but the production shirts moved the cannon down to the red body.

I noticed another interesting thing in this game.

During the second half, a young fan (about 12 or so, I think it was a girl) could be seen in the front row along the far touchline wearing an Arsenal jersey -- with an LA Angels cap!Β  The colours matched perfectly -- the fan was clearly coordinating these items, using the Angels cap as some kind of makeshift Arsenal cap!

(If I remember correctly, for anyone who recorded the game, I think it was in the second half, some time between the 65th-70th minute or so.Β  I saw it as an Arsenal player (perhaps Gallas) was about to do a throw-in.Β  If I have not recorded over the game on my tape, I will doublecheck this.)

The only other instance that came to mind of an intentional use of a "makeshift" hat was in fiction: in M*A*S*H, Klinger wore a hat that was intended to be a Toledo Mud Hens had, but was actually an original (and then-current) Texas Rangers hat.

I noticed that too-I thought, well, at least it's a red 'A.'

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

• 1 month later...

harperdc is right - the leaked mockups had the gold cannon on the white collar, but the production shirts moved the cannon down to the red body.

I'm watching the Arsenal CSKA Moscow game, and the gold cannon is on the white part of the collar, it must just be a champions league thing. Very interesting.

Not nessicarily true. I've seen it in both places, on and under the collar, on players.

thetable1gh.png

GO ARSENAL!

GO RED SOX!

In Aussie Rules the teams have 2 sets of sleeveless jumpers and 2 sets of long sleeve jumpers for the same reason. The blood rule.

If a player is bleeding, he has to go off, and the game is stopped until he is replaced.

He has to change his jumper, and if he gets blood on his second jumper, then he is allowed to wear an un-used number. It can't be a number of a listed player. But then, there's only 40 players on a list, and 22 in a team. So they have numbers 46 and above for this situation.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I've always wanted to know why when a soccer player in Europe has to change his shirt, there aren't extra jerseys available with his name number. Are they that expensive? If he is a popular player, they could get a shirt right off the souvenir stand. I haven't heard of this happening in recent years in North America - where a player has to change their shirt and wear a different number.

I've always wanted to know why when a soccer player in Europe has to change his shirt, there aren't extra jerseys available with his name number. Are they that expensive? If he is a popular player, they could get a shirt right off the souvenir stand. I haven't heard of this happening in recent years in North America - where a player has to change their shirt and wear a different number.

yeah, generally when a guy has to wear one of the extra jerseys, he's either a scrub who just joined the team that day, or the jersey was misplaced/stolen. notably, Eric Davis wore a numberless jersey in his major league debut with the Reds, James Worthy had to wear 50 (or 00, I forget which) once cus his jersey was late coming from the cleaners, Jordan wore #12 in Orlando one time after somebody stole his jersey, and when they were both Philadelphia Wings, one of the Gait brothers (I think it was Paul) couldn't find his jersey, so he had to borrow a fan's replica :hockeysmiley:

one of hte more interesting happenings like this occured in Cubs spring training a couple years ago, during a game at Hohokam, the Cubs sent in a minor league reliever, but I forget who he was...I just remember he was the guy with no number :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🀬

Archived