New hampshire minor league baseball

lucky

The results of the fan vote are in to replace the short-lived Primaries nickname. And the winner is.....

New Hampshire Fisher Cats

This might be the only baseball team to take up 1 hour of comedy material on a Jeff Foxworthy CD.  I love my home state!!

no logo or uniform yet, but it should be good for some yuks...

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

Talk about "out of the frying pan, into the fire".

As bad as folks thought New Hampshire Primaries was, I can't say that I find New Hampshire Fisher Cats to be any better. Now, minor-league baseball fans in New Hampshire can look forward to what will probably be the obligatory "cartoony" animal mascot with the crazed eyes, furrowed brow and tooth-bearing snarl. How original. Plus, does anybody else find New Hampshire Fisher Cats to be a mouthful? And how soon will the team's fans get sick of having to explain just what the hell a fisher cat is? Let's hope that the first souvenir item available for sale is a t-shirt with a zoological description of the mascot.

For those who care about such things, the vote breakdown was as follows:

New Hampshire Fisher Cats 1,574 votes 24.5%

Manchester Millers 1,552 votes 24.1%

Granite State Mountain Men 1,381 votes 21.5%

New Hampshire Granite 1,302 votes 20.2%

New Hampshire Primaries 627 votes 9.7%

Good thing I bought my "collectors' edition" New Hampshire Primaries t-shirt already. Well... any guesses as to when Manchester residents will announce a recall and install Manchester Millers as the team name? Frankly speaking, that name is the best of this bunch.

Brian in Boston

According to the New Hampshire Fisher Cats' website:

A "member of the weasel family" the fisher cat's "correct scientific name is fisher". The fisher cat "is a shy and mild-mannered animal with sharp claws and teeth that becomes fierce and aggressive when engaged in battle."

The website goes on to ask, "Could there be a more perfect name to instill fear in our opponents?" Well, I've got to be thinking... YES!!! What an awful name! It's HORRIBLE!!!

Brian in Boston

Well... while I can't say that I'm a fan of the name, I'll wait to pass "final judgement" on the identity package until after the logo(s) have been released. The graphic designer who is handling the project has an extensive portfolio, including numerous minor-league baseball clients... and the past two Super Bowl logos. You can check out Dan Simon's work at...

http://www.studiosimon.net

Brian in Boston

Primaries was nice, clever name and the logo was top-notch for Minor Leagues.. shame....

i dont get it...lol... after BIB's nice little intro the punchline didnt go..lmao... actually i thought primaries was well done as well wouldnt be the name i picked but it was clever with a pretty nice looking logo...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

As someone with family ties and fond memories of New Hampshire, I gotta say that I didn't like the Primaries name at all.  It was too clever for its own good...it sacrificed legitimacy and pride for the sake of a gimick.  Personally I like the Fisher Cats name...nature is filled with alot of great animals that would make wonderfull mascots...and I'm glad the fisher is being recognized.  That being said...if I had a choice from the list above...I'd definately go for Manchester Millers...THATS a classic name.

The only thing I disliked about the Primaries was that the logo had the elephant on the left and the donkey on the right. Besides that, it was great...

It could have been worse...like out in my neck of the woods and the Yuba-Sutter Gold Sox having some sort of gecko thing with yellow toes...

... if I may paraphrase Jerry Seinfeld "Who are the marketing geniuses..." sorry, did that bit already!  WOW! indeed, Fisher

Cats... Hate to say it, I'm  not JUST a semi-bitter Ravens & CT fan, BUT... I'm a' fearin' these Manchester EL owner folks just DO NOT get it... Maybe too early to drop the hammer on 'em... Hope they don't manage to screw up their new park.  I keep thinking of the film THE FISHER KING, but that wouldn't make a good team name either.  "New Hampshire" surname kind of implies NH doesn't/won't have any other minor league baseball or other teams.  I'm saddened    :(  to think we CC'ers coulda stuffed the ballot box & done the decent thing & send "Manchester Millers" over the top.  But we didn't... ???

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

I acutally had grown the like the Primaries name, and I was quite surprised to see how it faired in the poll.  I've always thought that a team name doesn't work too well when no one has ever heard of it before.  Yeah, something different and clever is nice, but when I first saw it I thought, "What the **** is a Fisher Cat?  Did they make this up?"  And would you really want to root or play for a team that has a shy weasel as a mascot?
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived