Brown's and Steeler's jerseys

oldschoolvikings

First let me say this... if NFL jerseys were still cut today like they were twenty (30?) years ago, I would say that these were two of the best designed jerseys out there. But the reality is, that just isn't the case. There are a number of people on this board who would adjocate that the NFL mandate a certain sleeve length making larger sleeve stripes possible again, but really... do you honestly believe that's going to happen? No way.

So now we have these designs that should be great (on paper), but on the field, I hate to say it, they look like garbage. Yesterday, I saw some of the Cleveland / Baltimore game, and the Browns just look dumb. Instead of sleeve stripes, the lineman look like they're wearing patches on the shoulders depicting the flag of some obscure third world nation. And most of the steeler's player are wearing a partial stripe that cuts off about half way.

So... why bother? Just for tradition? If tiny sleeves are the new standard (and face it, they absolutely are) shouldn't these teams (as well as, to a lesser extent, Detroit, Chicago, Green Bay, SF) redesign to fit the new reality? I think this is why we have so many teams throwing on the ugly side-panels, shoulder blocks, etc... because there isn't any other place to put a design the differenciates you from another team.

So, if you were in charge of these teams, and you have to accept that jersey sleeve are what they are now, what do you do? Seriously, I'm asking. What would you do? Because I think what they are doing now looks horrible.

I think they use their sleeves like that so players don't grab them and slow them up / pull them down. So really it's more function over a fashion statement. Which means you're gonna have to live with it.

I think they use their sleeves like that so players don't grab them and slow them up / pull them down. So really it's more function over a fashion statement. Which means you're gonna have to live with it.

He's not advocating that the sleeves be lengthened, but rather these teams give up on having stripes on their "sleeves". The new design of jerseys just is no longer compatible with stripes, do ditch them and do what teams like the Vikings have done.

I'm a traditionalist as much as anyone, but I agree with the original post that the Steelers and Browns and some others (Colts) just look plain stupid trying to include their traditional stripes on these jerseys. It's trying to fit the 1970s square peg in to the 2000s round hole.

Thanks for the post, oldschoolvikings. I had been thinking the same thing!!

You would think they would be able to move the stripe up a little bit!. I mean, its probably because the reebok logo and then tv numbers are in the way. but if you move the stripes up a little bit, just have them not wrap around all the way, then you still have the striping, just not how it used to be.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Which Brown and which Steeler are you talking about?

Your title refers to the jerseys on two specific players, so I just wonder if there is somethng specifically about them.

5-0! Language police sighting!

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

The biggest disgrace is definitely that even with the shrinking of the sleeves and the crowding of the stripes, they still insist on putting a big ugly reebok logo on there. Stick it on the front or somewhere that there's room if they insist on it - or better yet be like the NBA and get those manufacturer logos off the uniform

Steelers and Browns and some others (Colts)

Why would this apply to the Colts? They have traditional stripes, but they're on the shoulders, not sleeves. The stripes are completely out of the way and the numbers are high enough that it's difficult to tuck them under one's pads.

dwight_freeney.jpg

Not to mention that fans who purchase jerseys have no pads to tuck them under, so the sleeve designs are in full-force no matter the team.

He's not advocating that the sleeves be lengthened, but rather these teams give up on having stripes on their "sleeves". The new design of jerseys just is no longer compatible with stripes, do ditch them and do what teams like the Vikings have done.

I'm a traditionalist as much as anyone, but I agree with the original post that the Steelers and Browns and some others (Colts) just look plain stupid trying to include their traditional stripes on these jerseys. It's trying to fit the 1970s square peg in to the 2000s round hole.

Removing the Steelers stripes would be bad. It would be a plain black jersey with white numbers that are italicized. Wow. Imagine all the people complaining then.

Removing the Steelers stripes would be bad. It would be a plain black jersey with white numbers that are italicized. Wow. Imagine all the people complaining then.

I think he's advocating teams like the Browns and Steelers switch to a more Cincinnati/Buffalo/Arizona/Atlanta/Minnesota/Denver-like designs to comply to the new style of wearing sleaves (or not at all) in the NFL.

That is one way to go, for sure, and it may be the practical thing to do if the current NFL sleave trend continues.

Still, I'm in favour of the leauge mandating sleave size.

oldschoolvikings, you say it's unlikely to happen. I disagree. This is the same leauge that fines players for wearing their socks the wrong way. All we need are a few more players like Chris Hovan (TB Buccs) and the leauge will step in.

While I agree that some sleeves look ridiculous, I don't think changing classic jerseys is the answer. I love the Steelers stripes, they've been there since at least the 60's. I do think that the league setting a standard would be great. But let's not go nuclear and adopt a Minnesota/Arizona type design.

I think he's advocating teams like the Browns and Steelers switch to a more Cincinnati/Buffalo/Arizona/Atlanta/Minnesota/Denver-like designs to comply to the new style of wearing sleaves (or not at all) in the NFL.

Well, no I'm not saying everybody should just go to the modern style... c'mon, these are supposedly great design minds in action. Isn't there some other solution? All I'm saying is, pretending you can just stay wirth the old design obviously isn't working. And I think it's really stupid when the jersey they sell to fans looks nothing like the ones on the field.

And if you don't think the shrinking sleeves has affected the Colts jersy, compair a picture of Manning to one of Unitis.

The NFL needs to mandate a sleeve length rule. I am getting tired of lookisng at player's arm pits.

I just don't think its gonna happen. The other uniform things the NFL has rules over (no untucked jerseys, no droopy sox) have more to do with "neatness" than design. Yes, it is possible they would mandate against Hovan's armpits (PLEASE!), but that's not exactly the same as sleeve length.

Still, nobody has given me a solution. OK, you don't like the new style designs. But the old style sleeve stripes look like crap, and the sleeves are not gonna suddenly grow. SO... one more time...

Is there a solution?

I like the new style designs, but they don't work for the teams mentioned.

The teams mentinoed should probably just shrink the striping pattern. For instance, the Steelers could reduce the height of their big yellow middle stripe, and the Browns could maybe do something like the Packers did and eliminate a few of the stripes.

I'm not sure off hand where the numbers go, but pretty much in todays NFL, all numbers belong on the shoulders.

The Colts need to addopt a jersey cut similar to the Rams. The Rams manage to allow their shoulder stripes to go a lot lower than the Colts. They don't wrap around, but they are better. That said, the Rams shoulder stripe has gotten a little thinner over the last few years (I think), so the Colts might have to make their stripes a bit thinner too.

It doesn't bother me but I was a linemen so I understand the desire of the players to have the short/tight sleeves.

But, the Bears have similar stripes on the sholders, but I don't hear much complaints about them. Is it because they pull it off, or because people just are forgetting to mention the bears.

One the with the bears is a few of the players have elastic on the arms. The bottom stripe of the 3 stripe design is that elastic. So perhaps this is a way to solve the problem?

Yes, it is possible they would mandate against Hovan's armpits (PLEASE!), but that's not exactly the same as sleeve length.

2tg6.jpg

0iu0.gif

Wow, which team is that? I haven't seen that uni this year. :P Is that the team that always wears white and loses? :D

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Archived