Alaska-Anchorage Football

sc49erfan15

For those that remember (maybe you're still here, I dunno...) I've been doing concepts for schools without football teams for about a year now. In that time, I've racked up...

Winthrop, Vermont, Creighton, Marquette, Gonzaga, Charlotte, Seton Hall, Wichita State, George Mason, Bradley, UNC-Wilmington, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, South Alabama, Pacific, Bradley, Xavier, Loyola Marymount, St. Joseph's, DePaul, St. John's, Pepperdine, and Providence.

Whew, now that we're past all that, let's get to the newest team I've done, Alaska-Anchorage:

UAAFootball1.png

-Yeah, so I borrowed from the older-style Packers jerseys. A lot. I don't know, I just rolled with it and liked the way it turned out. There are definitely worse styles out there that a team could try to replicate.

-UAA doesn't have much in the way of logos other than the main Seawolf logo, except for a wordmark on a few hockey jerseys that I couldn't find a big enough picture of to vectorize, so I took the liberty of fabricating a secondary logo and wordmark.

-The Seawolves and Nanooks both use simply "Alaska" on the front of their uniforms (I can't think of any other university system that does this?) and I just like the look of "Alaska" on the front of a football jersey, so I displayed it Texas-style. Bet it looks funny when Anchorage plays Fairbanks...Alaska vs. Alaska.

-Yellow (gold, whatever) alternate, because UAA has a yellow hockey jersey, and they've worn yellow basketball jerseys in their past. I, for one, wonder why there aren't more yellow jerseys, but whatever.

Anyway, that's enough rambling on my part...let me know what you think about the concept. C&C is welcomed and encouraged...thanks in advance!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

the big dipper logo doesn't show up that well on the whites, and at teh core these are merely teh pre-97 Packers unis with white pants and a gold jersey added, and ALASKA over the number. all that said, though, you've done better but it doesn't suck. it is workable, i could see anchorage in something like these, but at the same time these are lacking somehow, I can't put my finger on it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I dunno Shane, it's a good design, but it's almost too similar to the Packers for my tastes. If it were me designing the uniforms, I'd simplify the sleeve striping a bit and find a way to add black as a very minor trim element. I think this is one of those instances where black may actually help your design a bit. They've used it in the past on their hockey jerseys, and it looks good with the color scheme when used correctly.

QPR%20Sig.png

Call me crazy, but somehow drefting a uniform style from a team that plays on a so-called "forzen tundra" just seems to [ for a team that probably plays on a real frozen tundra. And those white pants really seem like they'd "glow" from the glare of the sun's reflection off the snow, or ice. (I have no clue whether Alaska's teams play indoors or outdoors, but, still...)

And I also like how that constellation--which is Alaska's state flag, by the way--got incorporated into the wordmark on front of the jerseys. And as far as all that striping, yeah, it could be overdoing it--until I look real close at that promary logo and see five lines in the rear of the head region. Precedence for striping? There's your answer. (Or at least that's one of the references I use if I get stuck on how to incorporate striping on my concepts, if no one has picked up on that yet.)

I likes.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like these a lot, I must say. I didn't notice the dipper logo until 'scrim pointed it out in his comment. It may be just as strong without it there. To differ from the Packers, I'm almost thinking to ditch yellow pants altogether, and use green and white pants. Also, a green helmet seems like it might be in order. I like the yellow pants/helmet, don't get me wrong, but I just think changing for the sake of uniqueness might make a difference in what others are thinking.

I tried to do an Alaska-Anchorage football set a while back and failed miserably. I'm glad someone else picked up my slack.

The dipper kind of looks like someone spilled something on the jersey...

Maybe reduce the sleeve stripes to just elastic trim (that way they can stay consistent three-stripes like the helmet and pants) and move the dipper to the sleeve? Outline the stars in white on the green, and green on the white.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

-The Seawolves and Nanooks both use simply "Alaska" on the front of their uniforms (I can't think of any other university system that does this?) and I just like the look of "Alaska" on the front of a football jersey, so I displayed it Texas-style. Bet it looks funny when Anchorage plays Fairbanks...Alaska vs. Alaska.

That will likely be changing to some extent this year. The University of Alaska Fairbanks (the flagship) has announced that it's athletic teams will be known simply as the Alaska Nanooks starting this year. The school isn't changing it's name (much like the University of Texas-Austin, or the University of Minnesota Twin Cities)... Alaska-Anchorage will still be Alaska-Anchorage. A more apropriate name above the numbers might be just UAA...

Moose

Very Nice.

I would go with a sleeve pattern that mimicked the seawolf head pattern. Also you might want to drop the yellow circle (Midnight Sun?) on the helmet, and just go with the seawolf. While the big dipper image is very cool, I agree with the others in that it looks like some one spilled something on the jersey. Another idea might be to make it bigger and use it on the sleeve instead of the stripes. Either way it is a very good job as it is. Just offering a few ideas.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Thanks a lot for the comments, guys.

Bucco B, you were right on with the "frozen tundra"/frozen tundra thing...with that and the teams sharing the same colors, I tried to play off that. After I had read the first two comments, I considered changing the striping...but now that you mention it, the striping does resemble the logo a lot...and I'll keep it.

I took Shumway's suggestion and eliminated the yellow pants completely to make it a little less like a clone of the Packers, and more like a Packers-inspired design...which is what I was going for.

As far as the dipper goes...I considered putting the state flag there, but it just looked out of place...so I went with the constellation again, but with an outline so you can see it on the white jersey.

Anyway...

UAAFootball2.png

Improvement? No? Any more suggestions will definitely be entertained. And another big thanks to everyone who has already commented!

I think it looks better.

I still think a green helmet might look better, but the yellow still looks good to me. On your yellow jersey, the collar is white on the front view, and yellow on the back, just to let you know....green might actually look good there. Although they do look like the Packers still, I really like what you have.

Improvement? No? Any more suggestions will definitely be entertained. And another big thanks to everyone who has already commented!

Overall, I realy like them. However, my one big complaint still remains:

I'd still rather see simply either UAA, or nothing above the numbers rather than simply "Alaska." I know you refered in your origional post to both teams having "Alaska" on their hockey sweaters, but that hasn't been the case for several years, as the team has worn the following for at least 5-6 seasons:

59F25.jpg

DeCaro_2673.jpg

Rosett_3977.jpg

That, combined with the recent decision by UAF to have their sports teams go simply by the name "Alaska Nanooks." Just my 2 cents...

Moose

I'd still rather see simply either UAA, or nothing above the numbers rather than simply "Alaska." I know you refered in your origional post to both teams having "Alaska" on their hockey sweaters, but that hasn't been the case for several years, as the team has worn the following for at least 5-6 seasons:

That, combined with the recent decision by UAF to have their sports teams go simply by the name "Alaska Nanooks." Just my 2 cents...

Moose

Actually, I was referring more to both basketball teams' use of "Alaska" on their jerseys.

Fairbanks

Anchorage

I just thought it would be more...I dunno...Alaskan to have "Alaska" on the front instead of "UAA", "Seawolves" or nothing. If the basketball teams had abbreviations, the team nickname, or even "Fairbanks" or "Anchorage" under the number (North Carolina-style) then I'd be less inclined to have just "Alaska" on the football jerseys. It's just how I interpreted it.

Moose

Actually, I was referring more to both basketball teams' use of "Alaska" on their jerseys.

Fairbanks

Anchorage

I just thought it would be more...I dunno...Alaskan to have "Alaska" on the front instead of "UAA", "Seawolves" or nothing. If the basketball teams had abbreviations, the team nickname, or even "Fairbanks" or "Anchorage" under the number (North Carolina-style) then I'd be less inclined to have just "Alaska" on the football jerseys. It's just how I interpreted it.

Fair enough - just to prove your initial point of "looking funny" (both teams with "Alaska" on their jerseys), here's a photo from an UAA/UAF basketball game from last year:

0AABB.jpg

Plus, after all, it's your concept, not mine. I'm not trying to force anything on you...

Moose

Archived