NFL number fonts

whitedawg22

The thread on the Jaguars' unis got me thinking...

When did teams in the NFL start experimenting with non-block numbers on their uniforms? I know the Bears have used their unique thin, rounded font forever, but other than that, I can't think of a team that had non-block numbers until the mid-'90s. I think Denver changed to their present number font in '96 or '97, and the Jaguars changed from block to their current font about the same time. I think the Ravens started using their font when they moved in 1996, and the Eagles started using theirs about the same time. If I remember correctly, the Steelers changed from block to rounded in the late '90s sometime, as did the Titans. And the Patriots used that italic font for a few years starting in 1994 or '95. The Bengals, Vikings, Falcons, Cardinals, and Rams have all started using their current fonts this decade. And that's all the non-block teams I can think of.

So... until the mid-'90s, were the Bears the only non-block-numbered team? Or am I missing some historical uniforms?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Teams like the Jets, Bills, Bengals, and Saints that wore Champion uniforms had rounded looking 2's and 7's as opposed to the hardcore block format.

The Packers also changed their numbering slightly from time to time. Check out these two photos from the mid-1940s:

hutson_lg.jpg

1943_nflroster_hutson.gif

A number of teams used dropshadow numbers in the 40s and/or 50s (ex., 49ers and, IIRC, Browns). However, those teams used block numbers with the dropshadows.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

There is a rounded number style called "Gothic" (later named "NCAA Gothic" and "Nike Gothic") that many teams used. I've seen it used from the late 1950s to the mid 60s, when teams ended up switching to standard block numbers. The Houston Oilers of the AFL wore this Gothic font, and there might have been a few other NFL teams who wore it as well. It's rounded and wider than the Bears numbers, and there was a resurgence in its use a few years ago when Nike brought it back for football and basketball uniforms. UNH uses it on its home football uniforms, Xavier had it on basketball uniforms, among others.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

There is a rounded number style called "Gothic" (later named "NCAA Gothic" and "Nike Gothic") that many teams used. I've seen it used from the late 1950s to the mid 60s, when teams ended up switching to standard block numbers. The Houston Oilers of the AFL wore this Gothic font, and there might have been a few other NFL teams who wore it as well. It's rounded and wider than the Bears numbers, and there was a resurgence in its use a few years ago when Nike brought it back for football and basketball uniforms. UNH uses it on its home football uniforms, Xavier had it on basketball uniforms, among others.

And, strangely enough, it was the font used on Bears replica jerseys in the '80s. That's what I'll always associate with that font. Also, it's currently used by Southern Illinois men's basketball.

As far as the intro of non-block numbers: After the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, only one team did not use block numbers (in one form or another,) the Bears. That continued until 1996, when the Ravens showed up. Also, I'm not sure, but that may have been the season the Eagles made the switch to midnight green and their unique font. From there on out, number fonts were up for grabs.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And, strangely enough, it was the font used on Bears replica jerseys in the '80s. That's what I'll always associate with that font.

That would explain this then...

I caught a rerun of "Roseanne" where Dan was wearing a Bears jersey, in the Gothic numbers. It looked very worn, but I could clearly see the numbers were different from the regular Bears numbers. I hadn't been able to find any proof of the Bears wearing a different rounded font, and your explanation seems to answer my question about it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Okay, here's what I know since the merger...

The Bears have used their current font since then, maybe a minor change here or there, but not enough to notice.

The Patriots used their italic-drop shadow font starting in 1994 or 95, can't remember which, which is also the current Carolina Hurricanes font.

The Ravens used a more bulky version of their current font minus the drop shadow back in 1996, much like the current D'Backs font. They changed to the drop shadow font in 1998.

The Eagles changed to their current font in 1996 when they had their uniforms re-designed.

The Broncos changed theirs in 1997 with their uniforms.

The Jaguars changed to their current font in 1997 after two years of using a block font.

The Steelers changed to the futura font in 1997 from their block font, along with adding the logo to the shoulder that year.

The Patriots changed theirs to a unique block font in 1999 when they switched to navy.

The Titans have used a unique font since changing to the Titans in 1999.

The Rams changed their font in 2001 after using the block font with the new gold uniforms for one year.

The Texans have used theirs since inaguration in 2002.

The Falcons changed theirs in 2003 with their uniforms.

The Bengals changed theirs in 2004 with their uniforms.

Both the Cardinals & Vikings still use a standard block font, just with uniquely rounded corners, both different from eachother.

With a few exceptions, non-block numbers just don't work for football. The Bears can pull it off, and that's about it. Football seems to demand big angular numbers. Whatever the Eagles use is too busy and fancy for a blue-collar town like Philadelphia. What's wrong with silver and white block numbers on green?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Bears have used their current font since then, maybe a minor change here or there, but not enough to notice.

[snip]

Except that the Bears did wear a block font on their road uniforms at some point in the late 60s and/or early 70s. I hated it.

Here's the best I could find on short notice - it's from '72 or thereabouts based on the Packer QB

Butkus.jpg

It's where I sit.

[snip]

Except that the Bears did wear a block font on their road uniforms at some point in the late 60s and/or early 70s. I hated it.

Here's the best I could find on short notice - it's from '72 or thereabouts based on the Packer QB

Butkus.jpg

I wondered about that. I have a navy 60s-70s #41 Bears jersey (Brian Piccolo) that has the block numbers.

The Raiders also used a rounded-number font in the early 1960's AFL days:

af_1_b.JPG

Those are some rather large numbers.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

This is a pretty sweet historical overview. I had no idea so many teams used rounded numbers of some type in the 1940s and 50s. I wonder why so many teams switched away from them when they are obviously more unique, and why we have come to regard block numbers as more "traditional" when obviously there used to be a mix between block and non-block, as there is now.

It seems like a backlash might be starting against non-block numbers, though. The Bills, Cardinals, Lions, Vikings, Giants, and Seahawks have all come out with new more or less block-numbered jerseys in the past few years. I'm guessing that, like everything else in sports uniform design, this will move in phases through the years.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived