NFL number fonts

whitedawg22

Okay, here's what I know since the merger...

The Bears have used their current font since then, maybe a minor change here or there, but not enough to notice.

[snip]

Except that the Bears did wear a block font on their road uniforms at some point in the late 60s and/or early 70s. I hated it.

Here's the best I could find on short notice - it's from '72 or thereabouts based on the Packer QB

Butkus.jpg

I wondered about that. I have a navy 60s-70s #41 Bears jersey (Brian Piccolo) that has the block numbers.

The Raiders also used a rounded-number font in the early 1960's AFL days:

af_1_b.JPG

Those are some rather large numbers.

Does my screen need recalibrating or does that look like Navy and Orange? IOW, the Chicago Bears and not the Raiders. Was that guy traded from the year before or something? That looks like a Bears font if I'm not mistaken.

Does my screen need recalibrating or does that look like Navy and Orange? IOW, the Chicago Bears and not the Raiders. Was that guy traded from the year before or something? That looks like a Bears font if I'm not mistaken.

Some more early Raiders:

51_1_b.JPG1f_1_b.JPG97_1_b.JPGb4_1_b.JPG

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Okay, here's what I know since the merger...

The Bears have used their current font since then, maybe a minor change here or there, but not enough to notice.

[snip]

Except that the Bears did wear a block font on their road uniforms at some point in the late 60s and/or early 70s. I hated it.

Here's the best I could find on short notice - it's from '72 or thereabouts based on the Packer QB

Butkus.jpg

I wondered about that. I have a navy 60s-70s #41 Bears jersey (Brian Piccolo) that has the block numbers.

The Raiders also used a rounded-number font in the early 1960's AFL days:

af_1_b.JPG

Those are some rather large numbers.

Those jerseys are reflected in the uniform database, but I always thought the card companies airbrushed these. Am I dead wrong on this? The 1960 Raiders looked a lot like Da Bears ....

Those jerseys are reflected in the uniform database, but I always thought the card companies airbrushed these. Am I dead wrong on this? The 1960 Raiders looked a lot like Da Bears ....

Given the same scoreboard in the background on at least three of those cards, I'd say they were all posed at the same time/place, making it unlikely that they did THAT much airbrushing (i.e., all of the uniforms).

It's where I sit.

Archived