Frustration...taking over....

Chief.

just ignore the guy - it's a pain in the ass when people don't have a good sense of design - and then listen to the cheap rip-off artists like this. Really, high school does not matter. This guy's web design skills are marginal at best - and doing high school pages and work is not impressive when it's your own school. You're absolutely right too, if he can't produce original work, he will never survive in the design industry. Another good way to nail his ass is to get some work commissioned and then actually bought by some team or company or something - then wave it in his face without waving it in his face. Build your own website with your own portfolio, and then casually mention your own freelance work every now and then. Mention your growing list of clients- just make sure its true to back it up. The more he sees that you're getting real work and real respect will drive him nuts. Or he won't care, but you'll still be the better designer. High school is a pain in the ass - and for me, so is college - don't sweat it, it's really not worth it.

OD_Signature.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, once you start wearing the Hawaii shirts and caps, most of your classmates will probably say, "hey look, so-and-so's design is being used at Hawaii now, too." Or am I not giving high school students enough credit?

I guess what I'm saying is, wear the Property of Hawaii shirt, but be prepared to go out of your way to explain it.

And showing the school administration and maybe even a note to the university itself couldn't hurt. Maybe they'll send a cease and desist that will accomplish the peg-dropping you're looking for.

FWIW, my HS dropped a perfectly good, original logo and used a student "designer's" version of the UNLV rebel for my last couple of years. And there was a student-led effort at my college to dump their classic bee and adopt Georgia Tech's. Thankfully, that failed.

Wow, I just heard the University of Hawaii very recently sent something to him regarding this, but it's rumor right now.

And you know what? They should. The kid put this logo on every player's football picture, which we sold. I'll get back to you later when I hear more.

people are morons when it comes to logos. When it came time to draw a logo for our new high school, this is the one that was chosen. And the fact that most people like it is what boggles my mind. He's crying, and his eyes are closed.

2jerome.gif

so I know how you feel. I think wearing a shirt with the Hawaii logo right there on the front as big as you can find would work.

Dude, that guy had a collagen lip overload!

people are morons when it comes to logos. When it came time to draw a logo for our new high school, this is the one that was chosen. And the fact that most people like it is what boggles my mind. He's crying, and his eyes are closed.

2jerome.gif

so I know how you feel. I think wearing a shirt with the Hawaii logo right there on the front as big as you can find would work.

Dude, that guy had a collagen lip overload!

I do believe that's supposed to be a moustache.

Sadly, once you start wearing the Hawaii shirts and caps, most of your classmates will probably say, "hey look, so-and-so's design is being used at Hawaii now, too." Or am I not giving high school students enough credit?

I would think High School students are smarter than that, but I also thought there would be one person in the entire school that would recognize the logo as Hawaii's to begin with, so you could be right.

IUe6Hvh.png

This is very funny... maybe not for you, sorry.

But I had a classmate who was the exact same way when I went to college for design. His crap didn't stink and he stole just about every "Great" Idea (In his own mind) he ever "came up with". Don't worry if your situation is anything like mine then you'll have integrity and be proud of the original work you do and find a good position in the industry and he can go on in his own little fantasy world awaiting to be devstated by the TRUTH! And Stephen Colbert will probably deliver it!

Wow, I just heard the University of Hawaii very recently sent something to him regarding this, but it's rumor right now.

And you know what? They should. The kid put this logo on every player's football picture, which we sold. I'll get back to you later when I hear more.

If it is just a rumor, of course you could mail a couple of these, plus any other material anonymously to Hawaii. They are very proud of their mark and may do something. Seriously. And get a shirt or two.

This guy should have a little humbling. Sometimes these people have to change fields and bug another set of folks, but sometimes I've seen them get through and becomes managers, etc. They aren't good at it, they just exert their opinions until people back down. They get pretty wives and make money, but eventually end up with jerk friends who'll let them down. C'est la vie. Just be yourself.

Did somebody on the CCSLC email the school after seeing this thread? If they did, than thank you because you may have started the process of removing this logo from our site and everything that stems from that.

The rumor is looking very true right now. Before I got into the library for a senior meeting, a couple of my friends said some of this guy's buddies were talking s**t on me, saying that he didn't steal that logo and how they should keep using it. Funny, because all the guys (including the teacher) in my graphic design class say it SHOULD be removed. What an awesome freakin' day.

You're not in for much joy in life if you let other people's success (or failure) determine your own happiness. Plenty of people like this guy will always prosper in every segment of society while those who are always looking across the fence and over their shoulders don't have the time, energy, or emotional strength to do anything on their own.

Let's imagine this guy was one of the best and most original designers in the world. My advice in that situation would be to act in the same way as if he were the rip-off artist he appears to actually be: Just keep doing your own work if it's what interests you and don't worry about others' opinions or other artists' work, save for criticism that can help you improve.

You could probably bypass a lot of that confusion if you had something with a date on it that shows that Hawaii has been using the logo for some time. Something like an older media guide or magazine would probably suffice.

Well, first and formost let me say that I hate this kind of thing. I've known a person or two (not specifically in the graphic design field) that feel they can take someone else's work and just pass it off on thier own. Secondly I have to admit that when I first read this post I acted on impulse and visited the site, then found the Hawaii Warrior website. I didn't want to step forward because I didn't know if it was my place and was kind of questioning whether I should have sent an email or not, but again it was on impulse and I was kinda pissed by the whole thing....anyway here is a copy of the email I sent to both addresses on your highschool website...the first one i sent was actually returned for some reason...obviously the second got through....

"To whom it may concern,

I stumbled upon your website today and have come to the realization that your "logo" is nothing more than a recolored (and rather pixelated for that matter) version of the Hawaii Warriors logo. I do believe that is very much considered copyright infringement and could come with some legal consequence. I would suggest it not only be removed but instead of that little animated graphic you've got going on, you should issue an apology, specifically from whoever "created" that logo. I would also suggest it happen very swiftly. That is unless you have permission to use this logo and have that stated on your website...but I don't see that anywhere.

P.S. for further proof feel free to visit the Hawaii Warriors official website....

Hawaii Warriors

I didn't think it looked official nor did I try to pass it off as being from someone affiliated with the Hawaii Warriors but I'm assuming that's what they think. Anyway I'm hoping it works out for you. And the advise I can give is don't sit idle while someone does this because plain and simple they'll keep doing it until they get caught. If you work hard at your designs only to be seen in a different light simply because someone's stolen design is getting more praise then it can do a lot to your confidence with that work.

Again, I did it on impulse and sorry for not PM'ing you first and asking if it was ok but I figured you'd make this post and vent, get some advise from some of the guys here and then let it pass until something else he did comes up stolen and I didn't think that was fair. So, again I'm glad things seem to be working out!!

CIDesignSig.png

Is that "H" logo stolen? It's on the baseball team's hats...

Looks like just one of the random Old English fonts out there, aside from the goofy serif at the bottom left. Horrible quality though. Some of the stuff that's on the Web makes me want to smack people.

Well, first and formost let me say that I hate this kind of thing. I've known a person or two (not specifically in the graphic design field) that feel they can take someone else's work and just pass it off on thier own. Secondly I have to admit that when I first read this post I acted on impulse and visited the site, then found the Hawaii Warrior website. I didn't want to step forward because I didn't know if it was my place and was kind of questioning whether I should have sent an email or not, but again it was on impulse and I was kinda pissed by the whole thing....anyway here is a copy of the email I sent to both addresses on your highschool website...the first one i sent was actually returned for some reason...obviously the second got through....

"To whom it may concern,

I stumbled upon your website today and have come to the realization that your "logo" is nothing more than a recolored (and rather pixelated for that matter) version of the Hawaii Warriors logo. I do believe that is very much considered copyright infringement and could come with some legal consequence. I would suggest it not only be removed but instead of that little animated graphic you've got going on, you should issue an apology, specifically from whoever "created" that logo. I would also suggest it happen very swiftly. That is unless you have permission to use this logo and have that stated on your website...but I don't see that anywhere.

P.S. for further proof feel free to visit the Hawaii Warriors official website....

Hawaii Warriors

I didn't think it looked official nor did I try to pass it off as being from someone affiliated with the Hawaii Warriors but I'm assuming that's what they think. Anyway I'm hoping it works out for you. And the advise I can give is don't sit idle while someone does this because plain and simple they'll keep doing it until they get caught. If you work hard at your designs only to be seen in a different light simply because someone's stolen design is getting more praise then it can do a lot to your confidence with that work.

Again, I did it on impulse and sorry for not PM'ing you first and asking if it was ok but I figured you'd make this post and vent, get some advise from some of the guys here and then let it pass until something else he did comes up stolen and I didn't think that was fair. So, again I'm glad things seem to be working out!!

Thank you so much! You got the ball rolling because the school was talking about this email all day. I'm doing everything I can do get this logo off.

Oh, and apperently there is now a rumor (started by his friends) that all of MY work is stolen, and that I steal more than this kid. It made me laugh.

"To whom it may concern,

Hawaii Warriors

Thank you so much! You got the ball rolling because the school was talking about this email all day. I'm doing everything I can do get this logo off.

Oh, and apperently there is now a rumor (started by his friends) that all of MY work is stolen, and that I steal more than this kid. It made me laugh.

Stupid high school kids couldn't come up with a better rumor? :rolleyes:

What's funny is that everyone will believe it.

1997 | 2003

Archived