Atlantic Schooners

NickNickNick

I know all about the Atlantic Schooners, and I've seen proposed logos before, but this one is new to me: it's from the wikipedia article on the team.

Schooners.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Schooners

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I know all about the Atlantic Schooners, and I've seen proposed logos before, but this one is new to me: it's from the wikipedia article on the team.

Schooners.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Schooners

I think it's the more recent logo from the propsed CFL expansion to the Maritimes that the league discussed during Touchdown Atlantic.

The logo dates back to the 80's, actually. The CFL had considered a Halifax expansion team to be called the Atlantic Schooners. Nothing ever came of it, sadly.

1984 be to precise. The team folded only a few weeks after it was granted due to the fact that nobody wanted to bulid a stadium in Halifax.

That's when the name is from.

There is no way that logo is from 1984, though.

I seem to recall seeing something else then.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

You'd be wrong. The logo is indeed from 1984. In fact, a cursory examination of the CIPO database reveals that both it and the name Atlantic Schooners were originally filed with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office in November of 1982 and abandoned in January of 1984.

Further, I remember seeing this logo in a number of newspaper and magazine articles announcing the awarding of a provisional franchise to the Maritimes. I distinctly remember calling home from college to ask a friend if he's seen the logo... and I was in college from September of 1982 through May of 1986.

It's always amazed me, too, that the Schooners' logo does indeed hail from the 80s. It just looks so... currrent. I think it's the font that really throws me, since it's become so prevalent in this decade.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's always amazed me, too, that the Schooners' logo does indeed hail from the 80s. It just looks so... currrent. I think it's the font that really throws me, since it's become so prevalent in this decade.

Agreed. It does have a very contemporary, minimalist feel to it.

I wasn't crazy about the team name encircling the primary mark. It always seemed a bit awkward to me. That said, I loved the stylized "A", schooner and waves.

I'm always rather surprised when I read - or see - sources that indicate the teams colors would have been Black/Silver/Gold or Navy/Silver/Gold. I would have thought that Navy/Silver/Green would have been a logical color scheme, as it would have been unique in the CFL and lent itself to a maritime/nautical theme.

You'd be wrong. The logo is indeed from 1984. In fact, a cursory examination of the CIPO database reveals that both it and the name Atlantic Schooners were originally filed with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office in November of 1982 and abandoned in January of 1984.

Further, I remember seeing this logo in a number of newspaper and magazine articles announcing the awarding of a provisional franchise to the Maritimes. I distinctly remember calling home from college to ask a friend if he's seen the logo... and I was in college from September of 1982 through May of 1986.

I remember seeing it at that time as well--it may not have been the official logo if the team had come to pass, but it was the one used at the time.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

This is all very interesting.

I'd have bet my house that logo is not from the 1980s...and I'd have bet I've definitely seen a different logo that was more 80sish...I'm still searching.

Spoiler

Archived