Houston Fans

random_ax

I followed the expansion situation eagerly when LA's time limit expired and the NFL expansion franchise went to Houston. (And I swear I saw on the net that a fan poll was conducted and a majority of LA fans voted Condors as their choce for an LA football team name...either California Condors which is a real species or LA Condors).

Anyway, I am pretty sure that I heard that the team was going to be called the TOROS (which made sense since Houston has a large Hispanic population and the Texan logo could easily be used for Toros(Bulls) as well). Was there any mention of Toros as a name.???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes.

I was part of a focus group for the naming and Toros was pushed hard by the franchise. I believe they already had the Bull's head logo and it seemed that they really wanted to go with Toros over Texans.

At the time I was a big supporter of the Toros as the choice.

The only negative that fans came up with was the fact that it was a brand of lawnmowers which seemed pretty weak to me.

The Apollos was another one I liked.

To be honest I thought Texans would be a horrible choice, but once it became clear that was what the organization was going with I got over it.

Since then I'm glad they named them the Texans. I know most people, especially those outside of Texas, don't like it (insert the obligatory comment "it's like naming a team from Los Angeles the Californians!!" here) but I take alot of pride in it being an actual Texan...and I think that's the point.

Back in the 1960s and 70s there was a semi-pro football team in San Antonio called the Toros. The colors were black and red. My uncle played for them with the father of Ty and Koy Detmer. Their unis were pretty sharp, looked loke the CFL's Ottawa Rough Riders.

I wish they had been able to keep the name Oilers as well as the Columbia blue and red.

Archived