Baseball Managerial comings and goings

NJTank

Well the season is ending and the first offical Managerial CHange after a season of no firings will be in Washington as the Nationals announced Frank Robinson wont be back in 2007.

Story

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Fox Baseball pregame show the managers to be given the boot are most likely:

- Frank Robinson (Nats)

- Joe Girardi (Marlins)

- Dusty Baker (Cubbies)

- Felipe Alou (Giants)

They also said Lou Piniella could be an option for the Cubbies, but I see Girardi fitting in better there.

According to the Fox Baseball pregame show the managers to be given the boot are most likely:

- Frank Robinson (Nats)

- Joe Girardi (Marlins)

- Dusty Baker (Cubbies)

- Felipe Alou (Giants)

They also said Lou Piniella could be an option for the Cubbies, but I see Girardi fitting in better there.

Isn't Pinella the Torre replacement in waiting?

As an Orioles fan, I love Frank Robinson the player. May he never be given another managing job though. His greatness as a player has been diminished ever so slightly with the incredibly mediocre job he has done everywhere he has ever managed.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Well the season is ending and the first offical Managerial CHange after a season of no firings will be in Washington as the Nationals announced Frank Robinson wont be back in 2007.

Story

It's a shame because he did wonders with that team. From the 2002 run to last year where he had that team that many figured to lose 90 plus games in the thick of the division race for most of the year and finished with a .500 record. Unfortunatly because of his age he probably won't get another managerial job.

As an Orioles fan, I love Frank Robinson the player. May he never be given another managing job though. His greatness as a player has been diminished ever so slightly with the incredibly mediocre job he has done everywhere he has ever managed.

He did the best anyone could with a team that had no owner, no will to spend money, played two seasons with two 'home" ballparks, and with the reality that the team was pushed to the brink of contraction.

Age will be the only negative in Robinson's future managerial career.

Yes he did a very good job, but now the Nationals have a real ownership Group, and its time to move on with the people who the new owners want.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

As an Orioles fan, I love Frank Robinson the player.  May he never be given another managing job though.  His greatness as a player has been diminished ever so slightly with the incredibly mediocre job he has done everywhere he has ever managed.

He did the best anyone could with a team that had no owner, no will to spend money, played two seasons with two 'home" ballparks, and with the reality that the team was pushed to the brink of contraction.

Age will be the only negative in Robinson's future managerial career.

I'm talking about the overall book, not just a chapter.

semperfi.gif

Frank Robinson was not that bad of Manager though compare it to Ted Williams who was a disaster as a Manager, or Magic Johnson. Very rarely do great players even come close to the success Robinson had as a Manager.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Why should Robinson be penalized if his last managerial stint was a relative success?

That's like saying Joe Torre shouldn't be hired because he had a losing record as a manager before managing the Yankees.

Why should Robinson be penalized if his last managerial stint was a relative success?

That's like saying Joe Torre shouldn't be hired because he had a losing record as a manager before managing the Yankees.

I didn't say anything about him managing again. I said his mediocre, at best, managing career has some what diminished his playing career. You know the OVERALL picture of the man. If not for his name, he would have never had as many opportunities as he has.

semperfi.gif

Here's what I HOPE happens

Girardi to the Cubs.

Dusty Baker back in San Fran(hey he lead them to the World Series, and lost).

Joey Cora for the Marlins.

Frank Robinson to Cincinnati as a coach of some sort.

Lou Piniella to Baltimore.

Buck Martinez to Washington(YES! if he wants to)

Felipe Alou will go somewhere.

Reality, less than a third of these things will happen or have a chance to.

Charlie Manuel should be shown the door. Gillick inherited him from the previous regime. After watching him manage this season, Gillick should be actively pursuing a replacement. The Abreu trade changed the clubhouse culture, so no longer does this team need a feel-good guy to be their manager.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Charlie Manuel should be shown the door. Gillick inherited him from the previous regime. After watching him manage this season, Gillick should be actively pursuing a replacement. The Abreu trade changed the clubhouse culture, so no longer does this team need a feel-good guy to be their manager.

Word "on the street" (actually two very credible Phila. sports writers that I'm friends with and speak to Gillick regularly) is that it hasn't been 100% decided if Manual will be fired, but if he is (and he clearly should be) John Russel is the heir apparent. Gillick has a good personal relationship with Pinella, but ownership probably won't allow him to spend over $1m on a manager, so it looks like it will be Russel.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Joey Cora is a little young but then I thought that when my fave ChiSox hired his guy Ozzie. Guillen who I fear my the living example of the "better to burn out than to fade away" concept.

It happens in other sports heckin business but more so in base ball where guys get second and third manager jobs despite no real success at any stop along the way.

RobbyBox2.jpg

Here's what I HOPE happens

Girardi to the Cubs.

Dusty Baker back in San Fran(hey he lead them to the World Series, and lost).

Joey Cora for the Marlins.

Frank Robinson to Cincinnati as a coach of some sort.

Lou Piniella to Baltimore.

Buck Martinez to Washington(YES! if he wants to)

Felipe Alou will go somewhere.

Reality, less than a third of these things will happen or have a chance to.

Perlazzo is not going anywhere this year the O's management said he is staying for another year.

saBS.png

Archived