Habs deal Ribiero

Brass

TSN.ca

MONTREAL - The Montreal Canadiens have acquired defenceman Janne Niinimaa and a fifth-round pick in 2007 from the Dallas Stars, in return for forward Mike Ribeiro and a sixth-round pick in 2008.

''In judging by our team needs, what we really need and where we are vulnerable, it responds with an experienced player,'' Canadiens GM Bob Gainey said. ''He can be a good, strong participant in that group and he can give us some added experience and added weight to our defence, as well as depth.''

Ribeiro said he was shocked by the move.

''I'm disappointed and sad at the same time,'' the Montreal native said. ''I didn't expect this now.

''There were rumours last year that I'd be traded, but I didn't think about it this year. I just concentrated on getting ready for the season. I guess Montreal wanted defence and Dallas wanted a centre. It's a great city for me. No winter. No snow. So I'll be happy.''

Ribeiro, 26, is coming off a disappointing 2005-2006 season, during which he scored 51 points and posted a minus-6 rating, down from the 65 points and plus-15 rating he had produced in 2003-2004.

The 6-foot, 177-pound centre was a second-round pick of the Canadiens in 1998 and has scored 153 points in 276 career games.

''Dallas has great players, a great team, and they'll be playing for the Stanley Cup,'' said Ribeiro. ''I always dreamed of winning a Stanley Cup here (in Montreal), the 25th, but I guess it won't happen.''

Niinimaa, 31, struggled last season, putting up 16 points and a minus-12 rating combined with the New York Islanders and Dallas Stars. Acquired in January for John Erskine, Niinimaa ended up being a healthy scratch at times late in the year.

''I know he had an ankle injury, but he had it fixed this summer,'' said Gainey, who was not concerned with Niinimaa's ice time.

Niinimaa will earn $2.508 million on the final year of his contract this season while Ribeiro is on a one-year deal worth $1.9 million.

The 6-foot-1, 220-pound Finnish blueliner has recorded 356 points and a plus-56 rating over a 10-year career with Philadelphia, Edmonton, the New York Islanders and Dallas.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

no but it does help dallas though, they are stacked with defensemen and one of them needed to go. With Zubov, Sydor, Boucher, Modry, Klemm, Daley, and Robidas as your top 7, they were not carrying 8 d-men along. niinimaa isn't worth the roster spot, and Ribiero gives them a fairly younger player to add to the line up. however they seem a bit stacked on centers with Modano, Lindros, Barnes, Ribiero, Halpern, Stefan, Tjarnqvist.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Getting rid of Ribeiro was a good move, but they probably could have got more him. Ribeiro's a whiner, and a big distraction, but didn't Ninnima quit the Islanders and/or Team Finland? Is that really the kind of player that they want?

Ha... You guys don't understand why Ribeiro was dealt. With Bouillon out until mid-november, and with Souray still not 100%, the Habs needed to get a defenseman that would be able to replace them.

We have plenty of centers that are currently playing as wings (Plekanec, Bégin, Bonk), so there has to be an easy way to compensate for Ribeiro. I think that Plekanec will play with Kovalev and Samsonov for a very interesting line. Now, it's only a matter of time before they call Kostitsyn back with Montreal.

I think this trade will be profitable for both teams.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Didn't Robiero once fake an injury?

You may remember it was almost a nightly occurence in the NHL until the starting calling the diving more.

Or are you talking about a significant injury, missing games because of it?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Didn't Robiero once fake an injury?

You may remember it was almost a nightly occurence in the NHL until the starting calling the diving more.

Or are you talking about a significant injury, missing games because of it?

He's talking about the :censored:-like actions that take place in the following clip:

I don't know a single Habs fan who liked Ribiero. He was very much a "me first" type player. So, for them, it's a good move.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Except for 15 year old girls, I have to agree with you.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I don't know a single Habs fan who liked Ribiero.  He was very much a "me first" type player.  So, for them, it's a good move.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Except for 15 year old girls, I have to agree with you.

The 'Gino' factor? :P

Archived