reward decals in football.....

kreg13

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember we had a guy on our high school team had to put stickers on top of other stickers because he ran out of room. We had little white footballs, but know we have a new coach and we haven't done them this year yet.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

IMO, I have always like FSU & Ohio States. It's been a tradition. Some schools late picked up on it. I always remember watching OSU's helmets get covered as the season progress and to see the Michigan-OSU game was a big deal.

Personally as a coach, I don't believe in them. My kids have asked about them, I am a believer in that the Team Comes First, and all that individual crap means not if the team doesn't do well. Today too many kids worry about their individual stats, instead of going out and doing their job for the whole team. I believe more on what's in your Heart rather than what's on your helmet. We've never had a problem with my kids believing that on the teams I coach.

Again, that's just me.

As far as College football, I like it. Pro Football - NO!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I remember we had a guy on our high school team had to put stickers on top of other stickers because he ran out of room. We had little white footballs, but know we have a new coach and we haven't done them this year yet.

In 1981, Jim McMahon had to remove the oval Y logo from his helmet so he could fit some more stickers on. Here's a picture of him from the Holiday Bowl of that year:

game1981.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

In 1981, Jim McMahon had to remove the oval Y logo from his helmet so he could fit some more stickers on. Here's a picture of him from the Holiday Bowl of that year:

game1981.jpg

Was that the year they beat Missouri? If so I remember playing that game on the NCAA games that had the pontiac greatest games.

I personally think pride stickers are good for a team, because it will make players try to do their best. They're kinda like getting new uniforms, they give a team that extra umph. That why you see teams come out in new uni's in big games. EX: Wasshington St. last week, and the first time Notre Dame wore green jerseys against USC back in the Dan Devine era. Notre Dame crushed the trojans I believe.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Buckeyes and the Tomahawks are my favs.

They are not always about individual awards (at least at my HS)

Each group (Offensive Line, D Line, O-backs, D backs, each special teams, Offense, Defense) had certain goals for a game. For example, if we got over 200 yards rushing, each of the offensive linemen got a sticker. If we shut out a team, the entire defense got a sticker. Each group also had a player of the week. The best running back would get a sticker for O-backs. I can't recall if you got them for sacks or interceptions, or touchdowns. Special teams player of the week got a sticker and his meal paid for for the thursday film session. It was almost always an underclassman so they'd only have one or two stickers on their helmets while the starters had 20 or 30. But those were always the best ones to get as the special teams player. During a big win, most players got 4 or 5 stickers a week as a starter.

So it wasn't all individual.

We had little white footballs. Then there was one special sticker for the stick of the week. It was a skull and cross bones. One guy had 3 of them my senior year, but usually they were spread out.

I personally loved it. I built camaraderie on the team, as we had our weekly film watching session and friendly arguments over stick of the week and some of the other awards. It wasn't ment to pump up players or keep players down. It was all about team with ours.

In 1981, Jim McMahon had to remove the oval Y logo from his helmet so he could fit some more stickers on.  Here's a picture of him from the Holiday Bowl of that year:

game1981.jpg

Was that the year they beat Missouri? If so I remember playing that game on the NCAA games that had the pontiac greatest games.

To answer your question, 1981 was the year BYU beat Washington State. If you look in the background, #8 on the sideline is Steve Young. Steve Young led BYU over Missouri in 1983, but the most memorable BYU Holiday Bowl game was probably 1980 when Jim McMahon led BYU to 3 TDs in the final 4 minutes to beat SMU's Pony Express 46-45.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Special teams player of the week got a sticker and his meal paid for for the thursday film session.

You should hear from the NCAA in the next week or so. Expect to forfeit any victories recorded during said season.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Does anyone know what Northwestern's three (as of 2005) different pride stickers are for? They had a white star, wildcat head, and a third decal.

I was just going to post about NU using 3 different merit stickers. The third sticker was a bone. There's a pretty good pic of all 3 here: http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/s...aaa.html?pic=13

This season it looks like they're only using the stars, which makes the helmet look a lot "cleaner."

One of the Uniwatches from last year had someone from NU saying the formula for determining who gets the stickers was so complicated that it would be pointless to describe it. I've never heard what each of the 3 stickers represented either.

I like merit stickers a lot. Just another thing that's unique to college football, with a few exceptions (Stargel stars, etc.). I think Florida State's are the best.

I think it's a great thing in ammature football. IT probably get's it's roots fromt he Kill Stickers of fighter pilots. The team lining up across the line looks upo and sees a guy with a ton of kills and it has to at least hint at ferocity and skill. Love it.

What are they, 1st graders? "You did a real good job, buddy! You get a sticker!"

I would have to agree.

I don't much care for them.

While we're at it, in 1969 Wisconsin had a variation on this: they awarded a black helmet to the "most aggressive player" in each game. At the end of the season, half the team took the field in black helmets....

http://www.helmethut.com/College/Wisconsin...onsinblack.html

Archived