All time referee blunders

whitedawg22

The mention of the Orlando Brown incident in the Haynesworth thread got me to thinking of all time referee blunders. I'm not talking about bad calls during play, because any fan could bitch on and on about those, and given the speed of professional sports, they're somewhat unavoidable.

I'm thinking more of blunders that make you stop and wonder what the official in question was thinking. Since I follow football more than any other sport, the first three examples that come to mind are:

1) Phil Luckett calls the OT coin toss wrong between the Steelers and Lions, Thanksgiving 1998. Lions win on their opening possession.

2) Phil Luckett trips a wide open Joe Horn on a deep pass against the Panthers, 2001.

3) Colorado's 5th down against Missouri, 1990.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Not really a blunder, but a great moment, from former NFL ref Ben Dreith (who was wont to call penalties against the Baltimore Colts in Indianapolis and Oakland Raiders in L.A.):

(after a roughing the passer penalty): Personal Foul, unnecessary roughness, he had the quarterback down and was givin' him business (with gesture of punch coming from above)...15 yards, first down."

I miss Ben Dreith.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Not really a blunder, but a great moment, from former NFL ref Ben Dreith (who was wont to call penalties against the Baltimore Colts in Indianapolis and Oakland Raiders in L.A.):

(after a roughing the passer penalty): Personal Foul, unnecessary roughness, he had the quarterback down and was givin' him business (with gesture of punch coming from above)...15 yards, first down."

I miss Ben Dreith.

I remember that call well. My friends and I still use it on each other from time to time for various indiscretions.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived