Ottawa Lynx moving to Allentown in 2008, what name do you forsee the team using?

Brock

Allentown Pianomen :P

Maybe something in regards to the steel industry (yes I know that's more up Bethlehem's alley.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Boy, didn't see that reference coming.

Allentown Phillies sounds the best, though if you think about it, "Allentown Philadelphians" doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense, does it? Allentown Pennies?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

According to all the info I have seen in the local media they will be using Lehigh Valley, not Allentown.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I submitted:

- Railers (the railroad industry is huge in this area because it transports much of the steel and iron produced at Bethlehem Steel, the company that once provided the backbone of that community. Also it links the team to the Reading Phillies who also uses trains in their logo package)

- Bucks (there are a ton of deer in this area)

- Ironmen (again a tribute to the steel mills of the area and the overall character of the people)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

I submitted:

- Railers (the railroad industry is huge in this area because it transports much of the steel and iron produced at Bethlehem Steel, the company that once provided the backbone of that community. Also it links the team to the Reading Phillies who also uses trains in their logo package)

Okay, trust me, "Railers" is not the best name. Always consult Urban Dictionary before topics like this.

I submitted:

Okay, trust me, "Railers" is not the best name. Always consult Urban Dictionary before topics like this.

true, I was thinking about that afterward. I just couldn't come up with a better railroad themed name. Also, I submitted Lehigh Valley Thunderhawks, named for the famous Dorney Park rollercoaster.

You know, it's hard to keep the Phillies down, but they won't be getting up today.

Because they missed the playoffs, you see.

And it's another "Allentown" reference, you see.

(dodges tomato)

Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds

(named after the anthracite coal the Lehigh Valley Railroad used to carry)

Great name, but unlikely. It was already the name of the failed Atlantic League team that was supposed to play in the never-completed stadium near Easton. I don't think anyone will want any association with that fiasco.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I submitted the following names. My favorites are in bold print.

Inspired by the Region's General History

Lehigh Valley Industrials

Lehigh Valley Triplets

Inspired by the Founder of Allentown, Chief Justice William Allen

Lehigh Valley Chiefs

Lehigh Valley Justice

Inspired by the Iron/Steel Industry

Lehigh Valley Forge

Lehigh Valley Ironmen

Lehigh Valley Steel

Lehigh Valley Steel Barons

Lehigh Valley Steel Sox

Lehigh Valley Vulcans

Inspired by the Coal Industry

Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds

Lehigh Valley Coal Barons

Lehigh Valley Miners

Inspired by the Lehigh Valley Railroad

Lehigh Valley Express

Lehigh Valley Locos

Lehigh Valley Steam

Inspired by the Transit/Trucking Industry (Mack Truck Headquarters is in Allentown.)

Lehigh Valley Bulldogs

Lehigh Valley Haulers

Lehigh Valley Longhaulers

Lehigh Valley Truckers

Lehigh Valley Wheels

Sounds like it should be a Diamondbacks affiliate, or a Twins affiliate. (Good song by the Replacements.)

Wasn't that originally a KISS song that The Replacements covered?

I kinda like Lehigh Valley Vulcans myself.

QPR%20Sig.png

I kinda like Lehigh Valley Vulcans myself.

Vulcans?

63.JPG

78.JPG

79.JPG

:D

One of the funniest episodes ever. ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Vulcan

No, Vulcan from Roman mythology, ya dingus :P

Assuming that to be what he means :P , I like that one too. I also like Triplets (which I assume comes from the cities of Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton).

I already mentioned why I don't think Black Diamonds will happen, even though I like it. I also like Steam (despite my general distaste for singular/s-less plural names), but it may be similarly doomed because it is the name of a defunct minor league soccer team.

Speaker of defunct soccer teams, that may be the answer -- let's hear it for the 2nd incarnation of the Pennsylvania Stoners. Wikipedia -- Pennsylvania Stoners :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived