Ottawa Lynx moving to Allentown in 2008, what name do you forsee the team using?

Brock

Lehigh Valley Express sounds good, but there's already a AAA team called the Express (Round Rock) albeit in the PCL.

Lehigh Valley Scrapple, anyone?

*ducks*

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

I submitted the Lehigh Valley SteamWrights. Now, what's a steamwrights? A person that makes something with or of steam, like a cartwright makes carts. It can imply both the steel industry, with the steam pouring off the hot metal, and the railroad....

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I really like jkorkie's suggested name and am going to throw my own vote towards that nickname.

Thunderhawks pays homage to a piece of Allentown's past/current history and it also ties in with the Hawk moniker that Lehigh uses.

I also like the name Justice suggested by another poster.

Thunderhawks pays homage to a piece of Allentown's past/current history and it also ties in with the Hawk moniker that Lehigh uses.
I thought of entering Lehigh Valley Thunderhawks as one of my suggestions, but ultimately ruled it out for a three reasons.

First and foremost, I felt that the name would come off as less of a nod to a Lehigh Valley landmark than as an advertisement for a ride at Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom. In a sports world that grows increasingly commercial, I felt that naming the team after a thrill-ride at an existing commercial venture would seem a bit crass.

Second, the landmark ride in question - an 83-year-old roller coaster at the aforementioned park - has been known as the Thunderhawk for less than a quarter of its existance. It was known as "The Coaster" for 65 years, from 1923 to 1988. It's only been "Thunderhawk" since being re-named in 1989; just 18 years. As a result, the latter name hardly struck me as "historic".

Finally, I figure that management of the new Triple-A ballclub wants to establish a unique identity within the region. Given the existance of the Lehigh University Mountain Hawks, I figured that Lehigh Valley Thunderhawks would come off as a bit derivative.

One more reason not to use it, besides the ones Brian in Boston gave. :cursing::cursing::cursing:

Besides most Lehigh grads hate the name Mountain Hawks anyway, so you're not necessarily appealing to them.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I spoke to someone from their front office today & they confirmed that the name will be Lehigh Valley, NOT Allentown. The also advised that the team will NOT use the name Phillies for purposes of selling merchandise. They reminded me of the Clearwater Phillies (A ball) changing to the Clearwater Threshers for this same reason.

I submitted:

Lehigh Valley Bears

I know it is simple & unoriginal but sometimes simple & familiar is what they want & PA is full of Black Bear... although the urban sprawl in the Lehigh Valley is pushing them farther north.

dave@phillysportsteams.com

Supposedly they don't want anything with cats or dogs in the name.

The Lehigh Valley is also famous for having hot dog restaurant chains. Too bad they already have the Pennsylvania Valley Dawgs.... :D

I kinda like Lehigh Valley Vulcans myself.

Vulcans?

63.JPG

78.JPG

79.JPG

:D

Is that a bicycle horn for a logo?

I propose two names:

The Allentown Pennsylvanians

or

Allentown!

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Not to be all geeky, but it's an IDIC, which stands for Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.

Archived