North Dakota sues over mascot

mfoster

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2615396

President Charles Kupchella had a statement on UND's website earlier today, but it's since been removed. It was very brief, just a couple of sentences. The punch line was "The issue is now in the hands of the courts."

Marc

Here's a statement by the AG of North Dakota

http://www.ag.state.nd.us/documents/10-06-06.pdf

(acrobat warning)

I have one question and flame me, if you must, if it's a stupid one. What's to stop the NCAA from just kicking out UND from it's association?

President Charles Kupchella had a statement on UND's website earlier today, but it's since been removed. It was very brief, just a couple of sentences. The punch line was "The issue is now in the hands of the courts."

Marc

(acrobat warning)

I have one question and flame me, if you must, if it's a stupid one. What's to stop the NCAA from just kicking out UND from it's association?

Because other schools might react negatively to such an authortarian move?

Here's hoping UND wins too, because Illinois, Bradley, and a couple of other schools might follow up with suits of their own if this works.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Marc

(acrobat warning)

Really? You think one school would make that big of a difference? A school that is only D1 for ice hockey? While I could see where there would be a lot of school presidents and AD's who might be upset, what options would they have if they did leave the NCAA in protest?

Since no one's said it yet...

I really hope the NCAA wins. Using American Indians as mascots is exploitive, no different than using a white owner using an African to market his chicken restaurant chain.

And no I don't have a problem with the Fighting Irish because there are actually Irish people on that football team.

sf.png

I really hope the NCAA wins. Using American Indians as mascots is exploitive, no different than using a white owner using an African to market his chicken restaurant chain.

And no I don't have a problem with the Fighting Irish because there are actually Irish people on that football team.

And what if there is anyone with Sioux ancestry on any of North Dakota's athletic teams?

since no one said it... thats the dubest logic ever... "because there are actually irish on the team"... oh come on... if they ban one for being racially sensitive you got to ban them all... dont get wrong i can understand with braves, savages, etc etc... but seminoles, Illini, and Sioux... give me a break all of those are actual names of tribes and have been given the ok by the native groups in their area... if the Native Americans make it an issue it should then be an issue not some white guy pushing their we need to be PC agenda... they want to be PC name a team the honkeys... there problem solved

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

since no one said it... thats the dubest logic ever... "because there are actually irish on the team"... oh come on... if they ban one for being racially sensitive you got to ban them all... dont get wrong i can understand with braves, savages, etc etc... but seminoles, Illini, and Sioux... give me a break all of those are actual names of tribes and have been given the ok by the native groups in their area... if the Native Americans make it an issue it should then be an issue not some white guy pushing their we need to be PC agenda... they want to be PC name a team the honkeys... there problem solved

Rather "dubest" logic as well. I, as a Native American, haven't given too much to one side or the other here. You can examine my past posts on the topic if you like. I will say that there's no way that naming a team the "honkeys" can undo the history that exists between caucasians and native americans in this country. If you want to boil it down that simplistically, you are more than welcome to. I, though, would be unable to take you seriously again in regards to this topic.

Anyway, we've had this discussion a million times here. Is it possible to discuss UND's lawsuit, the merit of it, and the role of the NCAA without bringing up Notre Dame, or any other college not involved, or made up nicknames that would also be "appropriate" given the standards used?

Marc

(acrobat warning)

Really? You think one school would make that big of a difference? A school that is only D1 for ice hockey? While I could see where there would be a lot of school presidents and AD's who might be upset, what options would they have if they did leave the NCAA in protest?

The Big Boys have thought about pulling out before-mainly over football.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know if this has been asked before, and I hope I don't come across as ignorant, but the use of a nickname for a school could it be classified under Freedom of Speech even though it might make you sound ignorant? It crossed my mind. I just find it interesting that the NCAA has banned "Indian" nicknames, and yet the use of Seminoles, and Utes are being allowed because each tribe allows it. To me it sounds contradictory if that's a word, either ban them all or don't. I just personally HATE the NCAA because they seem to worry about things such as team nicknames and yet seem to have this stupid idea that it's okay to allow violent criminals to represent them on the field of play. Oh I forgot, the nicknames aren't putting green into their pocket, that's the real reason they "allowed" Florida State to keep their name. I guarentee you that FSU had to have payed the NCAA a "fee" to keep the nickname. I just find it interesting that we use terms like "fight", "warrior", or "brave" as being courageous and yet if you the use of a native american (is the term Eskimos banned?) as a logo, it's a no-no in the NCAA's eyes. I'm as white as can be, and always have looked at the Native Americans as being screwed over. I've always had a love for Native Americans and through college sports learned what a Huron, Chippewa, Ute, etc. was. I just don't see why the NCAA can't get together with each school and have them have classes about each tribe to teach about these wonderful people. I'm just really afraid that we are heading towards a mono-view society where everything is the same. Don't believe me, look at all the aggresive-childish minor league logos that are created now adays. My view on this might be different as a native american, but I'm not.

I think the most accurate simile to American sports teams being using native american nicknames would be a German team called the fighting jews...pretty tasteless given history and the benefit of the doubt should be given to groups that are offended

I was hoping for some language baiting on behalf of the University. Had the AD said something like "Just like the government soldiers once came into North Dakota and attempted to eliminate the Sioux nation; today the NCAA comes in and tries to destroy their history," we would would have had a good fight on our hands.

And it is totally arbitrary. This mascot is in, this one is out, this one is offensive, this one is not.

Englestad made it financially impossible to remove the logo and name from his rink(the best arena in all of sports, and I'm a Gopher fan)

Analogy vs simile? an analogy certainly seems like a form of a simile. x is to y as a is to b is an analogy; that's the same as a simile saying the relationship of x and y is like the relationship of a and b. and that's clearly a simile.

the USA massacred Native Americans; Germany masacred Jews; fundamentally what is the difference?

Archived