Why is Boomer Esiason not in the Hall?

rebelx

And "***" remains on the board? I'm surprised.

I think the mods are all still sleeping. (sleepz)

As for Boomer, as a Maryland fan, I like the guy, but he doesn't have that HOF "feel", for lack of a better word. When you think of the QBs of his era, he isn't generally at the top of the list of people you think of, so it is hard to elevate him to HOF status. In fact, until this thread was posted, I never gave this issue a second's thought.

I got it

THe Mods dont have time to read all posts but theres a button now that says report post that any one can use and we get a message.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

boomer's a fagot and a whiner, hes over-rated and i hate him..... Thats just my Opinion if anyone cares. ^_^

Wow, this stays but my sig comment game get graveyarded? :therock:

Maybe they objected to the "spam thread" aspect of it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He never won a Super Bowl, I would think. I know Marino never won a Super Bowl either, but his numbers are way better than Esiason's.

Not winning a Super Bowl should never be a reason for not putting someone in the HOF. It's a ridiculous argument. Allow me to illustrate.

A. QBs who have won a Super Bowl

Trent Dilfer

Brad Johnson

Jeff Hostetler

Jim Plunkett

Joe Theisman

Mark Rypien

Doug Williams

B. QBs who have not won a Super Bowl

Warren Moon

Jim Kelly

Dan Marino

Dan Fouts

Fran Tarkenton

Sonny Jurgensen

Who in their right mind would think that anyone from list A is more deserving of a place in the hall than anyone on list B? All of the list A guys have a Super Bowl ring. None of the list B guys have one. Before ESPN came along winning a championship wasn't a requirement for greatness. Apparently in some circles it's all that matters now. If a player is worthy he's worthy regardless of how many championships he's "won." Hell, Jim Plunkett won two Super Bowls and I don't know if he's ever even been up for serious consideration

I think Boomer is borderline and if he had won a Super Bowl it wouldn't change my opinion. He'd still be a borderline candidate at best.

You're probably right when it comes to this. None of those A list QB's are more deserving than the B list, but I was just saying that maybe Boomer isn't in the hall because he never won a Super Bowl. I think that if a guy is borderline HOF material, if he has a ring or not can play into whether he get's in or not. Anyone agree there, disagree? I don't think winning a championship is a requirement to get in, but it certainly helps and it gets rid of the title "Best (insert position they played here) to never win a championship. Also, one more thing. It's the PRO Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL Hall of fame. Do they allow players who only played in the CFL or Arena Football League into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no, but they should since it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the CFL and AFL are professional leagues. If not, then they should change the name from Pro Football Hall of Fame to NFL Hall of Fame IMO.

Well Warren Moon got in this year first ballot his CFL numbers certainly had to help.

Yes, but I mean do they allow players in that never played in the NFL? Moon played in both the CFL and NFL.

Wel the CFL is sorta of a lesser league to be honest, but perhaps players like DOug Flutie shoudl be given a long look.

Also I think Herschel Walker shoudl go in for his USFL days.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

While it is called the Pro Football Hall of Fame it is really the NFL Hall of Fame.

Also as tank alluded to the Arena League and CFL are pretty much unaffiliated minor leagues. For the most part players are in the league to try to get a shot at being signed by an NFL team. You wouldn't put a player that had great AAA numbers but had a alright major league career in the Baseball hall of fame would you?

boomer's a ***** and a whiner, hes over-rated and i hate him..... Thats just my Opinion if anyone cares. ^_^

Good for you. How old were you when he retired? Five? Exhibit #4379579393 why browns fans are the scum of the NFL.

He's my favorite player of all time, I can still remember crying when I heard he was being traded to the Jets. He has better numbers than Joe Namath, he has better numbers than a lot of hall of famers. He was the first quarterback to run the no huddle, and the best bootleg QB ever (thanks to Sam Whyche's interest in magic). With that being said, I don't think he is a hall of famer, he had several good years with the Bengals, but sort of fizzled out when he left.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I got it

THe Mods dont have time to read all posts but theres a button now that says report post that any one can use and we get a message.

The thing is some people quoted his worthless post before you got to it, so unless it is changed in all the subsequent quotes, it is still there for anyone to read.

As admin of my own private forum, I've made that oversight myself.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

boomer's a ***** and a whiner, hes over-rated and i hate him..... Thats just my Opinion if anyone cares. ^_^

Good for you. How old were you when he retired? Five? Exhibit #4379579393 why browns fans are the scum of the NFL.

He's my favorite player of all time, I can still remember crying when I heard he was being traded to the Jets.

You cried when he was traded??? Exhibit number one why Bengals fans are a bunch of whining babies.

Grow up, lay off the Browns fans, and get some professional uniforms. :P

Oh and by the way, I think the two-minute offense was in the league long before Boomer was.

BB52Big.jpg

He's my favorite player of all time, I can still remember crying when I heard he was being traded to the Jets. He has better numbers than Joe Namath, he has better numbers than a lot of hall of famers. He was the first quarterback to run the no huddle, and the best bootleg QB ever (thanks to Sam Whyche's interest in magic). With that being said, I don't think he is a hall of famer, he had several good years with the Bengals, but sort of fizzled out when he left.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there Mac. I don't think that you can lump in ALL Browns fans because LEWJ made a stupid comment. Esiason IS the Cincinnati Bengals IMO. Without those two Super Bowl appearances in the 80's, what has that franchise done? Pretty much close to nothing prior to last season. He's not a hall of famer though, but a good QB and not a bad analyst. And LEWJ, if he was OVERrrated, he'd be in the Hall. If anything, he might be under-rated, but I don't think he's overrated.

Whoa, whoa, whoa there Mac. I don't think that you can lump in ALL Browns fans because LEWJ made a stupid comment. Esiason IS the Cincinnati Bengals IMO. Without those two Super Bowl appearances in the 80's, what has that franchise done? Pretty much close to nothing prior to last season. He's not a hall of famer though, but a good QB and not a bad analyst. And LEWJ, if he was OVERrrated, he'd be in the Hall. If anything, he might be under-rated, but I don't think he's overrated.

No you don't understand. I grew up in Columbus, which claims to be 50-50 on Browns/Bengals fans but is more like 30-70 in the Browns favor. And I've always found that Browns fans tend to jump the gun on when is an appropriate time to talk trash. An example would be last week when I recieved 6 phone calls from browns fans because the Bengals lost (missing the fact that the Browns are 1-3). So my judgement on browns fans does not come from lew j's comment alone, but from years of observation. Secondly Ken Anderson, and Anthony Munoz to me are a bigger part of the Cincinnati Bengals history than Boomer. Boomer did not go to two super bowls, he only went to one. Thirdly, this franchise had a pretty good record going into the 90's. The only reason they were so bad in the 90's was because Paul Brown died and left the team to his jackass of a son.

Infrared, I was six years old when he was traded to the Jets. It's not like I was an adult crying over a player leaving, because if I ever did that now, I might need to re-evaluate my life.

PvO6ZWJ.png

No you don't understand. I grew up in Columbus, which claims to be 50-50 on Browns/Bengals fans but is more like 30-70 in the Browns favor. And I've always found that Browns fans tend to jump the gun on when is an appropriate time to talk trash. An example would be last week when I recieved 6 phone calls from browns fans because the Bengals lost (missing the fact that the Browns are 1-3). So my judgement on browns fans does not come from lew j's comment alone, but from years of observation. Secondly Ken Anderson, and Anthony Munoz to me are a bigger part of the Cincinnati Bengals history than Boomer. Boomer did not go to two super bowls, he only went to one. Thirdly, this franchise had a pretty good record going into the 90's. The only reason they were so bad in the 90's was because Paul Brown died and left the team to his jackass of a son.

Infrared, I was six years old when he was traded to the Jets. It's not like I was an adult crying over a player leaving, because if I ever did that now, I might need to re-evaluate my life.

6 phones calls is not a complete fan base and it's not like all Bengals fans are the classiest bunch in the league. Last time I checked no other teams felt the need to have a number to call during games to report fans that are acting like idiots. Actually every team has more than it's share of idiot fans. Steelers fans lead the pack at a ratio of about 50 idiots to every one normal fan. So let's all get off the high horse. We all have fans that we can be ashamed of...especially you Steelers fan. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Im very sorry for using the language i did in an earlier post. Please forgive me, and if i offended anyone, I'm sorry.

PLEASE EXCUSE MY INAPROPRIATE LANGUAGE.....IM SORRY.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Boomer did not go to two super bowls, he only went to one.

My bad, I thought he was there for the first one. I agree with you that anyone who calls someone to remind them that they lost when their team is 3-1 and their own team is 1-3 is a moron, but that's just a moron, an isolated portion of the fan base.

Archived