Bama Hockey

Slammersman

CHA and division I are quite incompatible terms. The Frozen Four in Florida is asinine.

Um, tell that to Bemidji State (CHA) who went 4-3 vs. the WCHA (who's champ has won the national title the last four years). And as far as the Frozen Four in Florida, it's sold out well in advance anyway, why not put it in a "destination," instad of in some cold place like, say, last years spot Wisconsin?

Moose

Last year's WCHA Champion did not win the National Championship. Minnesota won the WCHA Championship and North Dakota won the WCHA Final 5 Tournament. Wisconsin won the Frozen Four National Title.

Anyway,

Today's CHA:

Alabama Huntsville

Bemidji State

Niagara

Robert Morris

Wayne State

1999's CHA:

United States Air Force Academy

University of Alabama-Huntsville

United States Military Academy

Bemidji State University

University of Findlay

Niagara University

Wayne State University

In 6 seasons they've lost almost 30% of their teams. They get an at large bid in the NCAA tournament, in which their conference has a frighetning 1-5 record. Why should I take them seriously again?

The Frozen Four should not be held in a state known for the price of orange juice going therough the roof everytime it does freeze. They don't deserve it. Serious college hockey is played in the north and in the east. States that have snow. States where ponds freeze and hockey can be played by anyone without buying ice time.

You can rattle on about the Lightning, Canes, and Stars winning cups and that's all super. But to expect your average Floridian to know what a Hobey Baker is laughable. By your logic, since they'd sell it out if it were held at the Eveleth Hippodrome, the real benficiaries of holding the sold out Frozen Four as far away as possible from their fanbase is becuase it's good for the airlines.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threads like this make me wish that Illinois had a facility that would allow them to be more than a club team.

Or that UIC hadn't dropped their hockey program the same day they gave Jimmy Collins an expensive contract to be their head basketball coach.

Though, with the new arena in Bloomington, are there any rumblings about hockey at Illinois State?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You would be suprised at how serious club teams are...I work for the West Virginia Univ. club team, and the only difference between them and a Div. I college varsity team is that they can't give out scholarships and they have to raise their own money for uniforms and such. They still take it pretty serious and still have rankings and national championships.

newsig.jpg

mlb_sh_kalasobit_134.jpg

CHA and division I are quite incompatible terms. The Frozen Four in Florida is asinine.

Um, tell that to Bemidji State (CHA) who went 4-3 vs. the WCHA (who's champ has won the national title the last four years). And as far as the Frozen Four in Florida, it's sold out well in advance anyway, why not put it in a "destination," instad of in some cold place like, say, last years spot Wisconsin?

Moose

Last year's WCHA Champion did not win the National Championship. Minnesota won the WCHA Championship and North Dakota won the WCHA Final 5 Tournament. Wisconsin won the Frozen Four National Title.

Anyway,

Today's CHA:

Alabama Huntsville

Bemidji State

Niagara

Robert Morris

Wayne State

1999's CHA:

United States Air Force Academy

University of Alabama-Huntsville

United States Military Academy

Bemidji State University

University of Findlay

Niagara University

Wayne State University

In 6 seasons they've lost almost 30% of their teams. They get an at large bid in the NCAA tournament, in which their conference has a frighetning 1-5 record. Why should I take them seriously again?

How about because Denver coach George Gwozdecki does? Bemidji State forces eventual national champ DU to overtime in 2005 in the NCAA regionals in Amherst, MA (the only team to even get nearly that clost to the Pioneers that year), and Gwoz realizes what kind of team he faced. Or how about because Scot Owens does? Same for Colorado College nearly getting outed by Wayne State the year before? Have you ever even seen a CHA game? Now, you're probibly going to go see Wayne play this weekend vs. the Gophers (WSU's down this year), and they'll struggle vs. one of the top teams in the nation, and you'll have all the "evidence" you'll need...

The Frozen Four should not be held in a state known for the price of orange juice going therough the roof everytime it does freeze. They don't deserve it. Serious college hockey is played in the north and in the east. States that have snow. States where ponds freeze and hockey can be played by anyone without buying ice time.

You can rattle on about the Lightning, Canes, and Stars winning cups and that's all super. But to expect your average Floridian to know what a Hobey Baker is laughable. By your logic, since they'd sell it out if it were held at the Eveleth Hippodrome, the real benficiaries of holding the sold out Frozen Four as far away as possible from their fanbase is becuase it's good for the airlines.

Yeah, because Eveleth is such a desitnation... You're such a dope...

Moose

You would be suprised at how serious club teams are...I work for the West Virginia Univ. club team, and the only difference between them and a Div. I college varsity team is that they can't give out scholarships and they have to raise their own money for uniforms and such. They still take it pretty serious and still have rankings and national championships.

Plus the talent level...

Moose

Moose

I didn't say it was. I put it on par with Florida. Maybe slightly better than Florida. Bemidji State can think they've arrived against the WCHA when they get their 5th championship. Or when all 4 Frozen Four teams are from the CHA. That will never happen, but the WCHA did it just over one season ago.

The personal insult shows my posts are having the desired effect.

Moose

I didn't say it was. I put it on par with Florida. Maybe slightly better than Florida. Bemidji State can think they've arrived against the WCHA when they get their 5th championship. Or when all 4 Frozen Four teams are from the CHA. That will never happen, but the WCHA did it just over one season ago.

The personal insult shows my posts are having the desired effect.

Better destination? :rolleyes:

Your comedy posts have had their "desired effect", I'm rolling in laughter right now.

I'm honestly surprised to see your not in Canada with your "doesn't deserve it" trash.

The Frozen Four in Florida is asinine.

Why?

Not mentioning the fact that Florida is a much more attractive vacation destination than North Dakota for students and families, I don't think you quite understand how many snowbirds there are here. Tons of Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. fans in my neighborhood alone. And it's not just snowbirds. I have native Floridian friends that happen to be fans of some of those schools too. I have quite a few Cornell fans as friends for example.

And I'm included in there too. Although I have no connections to BC at all, I love me some BC Eagles hockey. I started watching college hockey around the time they were dominating and fell in love with them.

If I'm still living in the area in 2012 I'll definately try to get to atleast one game. I've never been to a college hockey game before. Although I'm trying to get some friends to go to the Lightning College Hockey Tournament in Tampa this month. I'd like to see Air Force and Army play. Maybe see a Notre Dame game too since they're the "big name team" and hosts.

You can rattle on about the Lightning, Canes, and Stars winning cups and that's all super. But to expect your average Floridian to know what a Hobey Baker is laughable.

Fine... go to an NHL game anywhere outside the Sunbelt and poll the fans. I'll wager no more than HALF could correctly answer the question "What is the Hobey Baker Award?"... I'm not talking about the general population of North/Northeast states... I'm talking NHL fans, the same ones that can't differentiate between the Selke and the Smythe.

You know, the Hobey Baker, that award that a kid from the Sunbelt (Dave McKee, Irving, TX) almost won a couple years ago while he was busy breaking all of Ken Dryden's records at Cornell. There is some very real talent coming out of the Sunbelt these days.

I get so sick of this geocentric crap. Folks better accept it pretty soon that hockey has to continue to grow in the Sunbelt as a matter of survival. The game has struggled for too long because of your sort of thinking. You're too busy wanting to retain that role of being in the center of the hockey universe to realize your universe is a tiny, tiny little pond, err... planet.

I guess by your same logic, the only serious college football is out of the SEC and Big 12 (South Division). I mean, that's where the best teams and talent are, right?

Marc

Are they still only a club team which they were while I was attending Alabama? I never liked the stylized A, I figured they'd look better with Alabama going down the front like the Rangers do.

Here's a crimson version of the style you describe, though it's not Alabama... I suppose you could place either the script "A" or the elephant head logo on the shoulders...

redjersey.jpg

Marc

Man, what the hell is with all the hating of Eveleth, MN? Especially from you, "Moose", who is in the waste of space known as Bemidji. Are you effing kidding me?

That said, he was using Eveleth as a comparison point as having a large hockey fan base, you moron. I'm sure that at least one of you Eveleth haters has noticed that there is an Eveleth native on here (hint: look at my screen name). Think before you post insults to someone's hometown next time. Dolt.

Man, what the hell is with all the hating of Eveleth, MN? Especially from you, "Moose", who is in the waste of space known as Bemidji. Are you effing kidding me?

That said, he was using Eveleth as a comparison point as having a large hockey fan base, you moron. I'm sure that at least one of you Eveleth haters has noticed that there is an Eveleth native on here (hint: look at my screen name). Think before you post insults to someone's hometown next time. Dolt.

Simmer down there, Francis - all I was saying is that Tampa, FL is more of a destination than Eveleth, MN. Hell, it's more of a destination than Bemidji, or Minneapolis - especially in early April. Hockey fans are going to go to the Frozen Four regardless of where it is - the Sports Illustrated #1 NHL rink Xcel Center in hockey mad St. Paul, MN, or at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, RI (2000). All I'm saying, is why not go somewhere the average high is 82 in April, as opposed to 57 in St. Paul?

Moose

Uhh... It may just be me, but something seems off with this jersey.....

First off, it looks like a Phoenix Coyotes jersey, minus the logo....

Secondly, it looks like the A was done by a 7-year old. Look at how choppy the edges are. I don't even know if the shape looks right (maybe some of the points should stick out more - I don't really know)

I like the overall simpleness, but I think they still could have done better

You can rattle on about the Lightning, Canes, and Stars winning cups and that's all super. But to expect your average Floridian to know what a Hobey Baker is laughable.

Fine... go to an NHL game anywhere outside the Sunbelt and poll the fans. I'll wager no more than HALF could correctly answer the question "What is the Hobey Baker Award?"... I'm not talking about the general population of North/Northeast states... I'm talking NHL fans, the same ones that can't differentiate between the Selke and the Smythe.

You know, the Hobey Baker, that award that a kid from the Sunbelt (Dave McKee, Irving, TX) almost won a couple years ago while he was busy breaking all of Ken Dryden's records at Cornell. There is some very real talent coming out of the Sunbelt these days.

I get so sick of this geocentric crap. Folks better accept it pretty soon that hockey has to continue to grow in the Sunbelt as a matter of survival. The game has struggled for too long because of your sort of thinking. You're too busy wanting to retain that role of being in the center of the hockey universe to realize your universe is a tiny, tiny little pond, err... planet.

I guess by your same logic, the only serious college football is out of the SEC and Big 12 (South Division). I mean, that's where the best teams and talent are, right?

Marc

Why don't you work up a map for of DI hockey teams and then look at where they are located. Then tell me why on earth you'd hold the Championship of DI hockey in a state no where near the fanbase of any of those teams? It'd be like having the NCAA LaCrosse finals in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Damn near every state in the US has a DI football program. Damn near every state in America has a DI basketball program. Those sports have full national appeal. I would love it if the Frozen Four got the same love as the Final Four, but it ain't gonna happen. Hockey is a niche sport with niche fans in niche locations.

Take last year. How many UW students would have been able to go to Florida to see their team win the Championship. Zero. Granted it was held in Milwaukee, but even Denver and Boston are easier for them to attend a game at than Florida. All by itself, the fact that the host team is 1/4 the way across the country from the venue is laughable. (and 'Moose', that's the only comedy here - besides your 3rd grade debate/playground insult style.)

Why don't you work up a map for of DI hockey teams and then look at where they are located. Then tell me why on earth you'd hold the Championship of DI hockey in a state no where near the fanbase of any of those teams? It'd be like having the NCAA LaCrosse finals in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Except that there are no redeeming features if it were to be held in Cheyenne, no slight intended to them.

There are more junior and professional hockey teams in Texas than there are in Minnesota, should I mock Minnesota for this? Nope...

Damn near every state in the US has a DI football program. Damn near every state in America has a DI basketball program. Those sports have full national appeal. I would love it if the Frozen Four got the same love as the Final Four, but it ain't gonna happen. Hockey is a niche sport with niche fans in niche locations.

Think small, stay small...

Take last year. How many UW students would have been able to go to Florida to see their team win the Championship. Zero.

Really? So how do students get to bowl games? Were there no Badger students in Orlando for the Capital One Bowl last year?

Marc

Except that there are no redeeming features if it were to be held in Cheyenne, no slight intended to them.

There are more junior and professional hockey teams in Texas than there are in Minnesota, should I mock Minnesota for this? Nope...

Minnesota cannot be mocked for much of anything when it comes to hockey.

Think small, stay small...

Think Global, Act Local.

Whatever the :censored: that means

Really? So how do students get to bowl games? Were there no Badger students in Orlando for the Capital One Bowl last year?

Marc

You are trying to compare the Capital One Bowl to the Frozen Four? Apples and Oranges. Kohl Center attendance vs. Camp Randall attendance. Big House attendance vs. Munn Attendance. Metrodome attendance vs. Mariucci attendance.

You are trying to compare the Capital One Bowl to the Frozen Four? Apples and Oranges. Kohl Center attendance vs. Camp Randall attendance. Big House attendance vs. Munn Attendance. Metrodome attendance vs. Mariucci attendance.

Let me make sure I understand... comparing 10,000 Badger students seemingly incapable of making it to a Florida-based Frozen Four when 20,000 Badgers make it to a Florida bowl game is an unfair comparison?

My point was, if it's a big enough event, the students/fans will find a way, regardless of location. Big schools with big programs travel with their fanbase.

Something else I left out... you seem to think it's easier and/or cheaper to get to Boston than to Florida, right? I find this difficult to believe considering more tourist destinations have reduced/subsidized airfare as a promotional tool, Florida and Vegas primary among them.

Marc

Archived