Tigers advance to the ALCS

ROCHitman

How come no one made a topic on Oakland making it to the ALCS for the first time since 1990? That seems like a pretty big story, two teams who haven't come close to making it into the 2nd round in 16 years.

It's funny that all the media and A's "fans" seem to forget that they made it to the ALCS in 1992.

I don't blame them for wanting to forget it tho.

AlomarlCSMVP.JPG

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come no one made a topic on Oakland making it to the ALCS for the first time since 1990? That seems like a pretty big story, two teams who haven't come close to making it into the 2nd round in 16 years.

It's funny that all the media and A's "fans" seem to forget that they made it to the ALCS in 1992.

I don't blame them for wanting to forget it tho.

AlomarlCSMVP.JPG

Tell that to ESPN, the bottom line said "advances to ALCS for the first time since 1990." But after doing some research it's fixed.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

my turn,

I have to say this is one of the greatest moments in my life. I already have tickets for when they play in Oakland on Tuesday. I really don't say anything as I let the Tigers do the talking and as far as the ALCS, well i'll let them do the talking as well. Good luck Tigers go to the World Series and make us proud

It's over! Cards defeated Padres.

2006 NLCS = Cards vs Mets

2006 ALCS = Tigers vs A's

That's nice!!!

If the World Series were among...

...Cards vs Tigers: Oooooohhhhh... those '30s World Series, the Gashouse Gang... Gehringer and Greenberg...

...Cards vs A's: Agaaaaain the '30s!!! The Mackmen took two WS and the Redbirds took 1 WS aborting a three-peak dynasty of the A's...

...Mets vs A's: The New Yorkers will take a shot to complete the revenge of the 1974 World Series.

...Mets vs Tigers: No previous history here! But those current teams will give us a good World Series that (hopefully) lasts more than 4 games since 2003.

Very nice thing is the Yankees not playing now. It's like early '90s or 2002, or 2005.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Mets - Tigers

or

Cards - Tigers

Either one is fine with me! :D

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

i didn't want to do it, but i actually shed tears in the ninth inning when joe buck was talking about "maybe you were 10 or 11 years old in 1984 and you've been a fan since. maybe you've gone through the lean times with the hope that they'll pull through it. maybe you're 32 or 33 years old now and have a son who's watching the game with you right now. this is for you, you've been waiting a long time."

yes, i paraphrased, but that's the gist of what he said. i was 11 in 1984. my 3 1/2 year old boy was sitting on my lap right when buck made that statement. the tears came out, and i couldn't do anything about it. my son asked me what was wrong and i said "nothing, buddy, everything is right in the world at this moment. you'll understand one day, hopefully."

saturday evening was truly the best day in my sports fan "life". the celebration with the fans was such a great thing to witness and made me wish i was back home to be a part of it.

...Mets vs A's: The New Yorkers will take a shot to complete the revenge of the 1974 World Series.

1973. The Dodgers already avenged 1974 with the upset in 1988, but we knew what you meant. :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

i didn't want to do it, but i actually shed tears in the ninth inning when joe buck was talking about "maybe you were 10 or 11 years old in 1984 and you've been a fan since. maybe you've gone through the lean times with the hope that they'll pull through it. maybe you're 32 or 33 years old now and have a son who's watching the game with you right now. this is for you, you've been waiting a long time."

yes, i paraphrased, but that's the gist of what he said. i was 11 in 1984. my 3 1/2 year old boy was sitting on my lap right when buck made that statement. the tears came out, and i couldn't do anything about it. my son asked me what was wrong and i said "nothing, buddy, everything is right in the world at this moment. you'll understand one day, hopefully."

saturday evening was truly the best day in my sports fan "life". the celebration with the fans was such a great thing to witness and made me wish i was back home to be a part of it.

I hear ya bro!

I was 8 when I watched the 1984 series from my living room with my pops and younger borthers (6 and 4 at the time) in Kalamazoo, MI.

Funny thing, Jeter was 10 and probably watching with his dad across town.

Yes, we have waited an eternity for our team to do what they are about to do.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

Yeah thats my biggest gripe. I mean I know its a big achevement, for The Tigers especially, but it would be so refreshing for a manager to disallow that.

For the most part I agree. It seemed like teams were celebrated for just clinching a playoff spot (the Cardinals epecially shouldn't have celebrated because they stumbled into the playoffs). However I'd make an exception for the Tigers. They had just come off 12 straight losing seasons and then beat the yankees in the playoffs. After all the suffer their fans have gone through it was nice to see the team celebrate with them.

After seeing the celebration I jumped on the bandwagon (only for the playoffs of course then its back to the O's). I can only hope the Orioles one day make it back to the playoffs and they do the same (could have been last season if not for that collapse).

it would be so refreshing for a manager to disallow that.

No, screw that. I liked watching the Tigers celebrate. It makes for good TV. It's better than the Cardinals just kinda awkwardly high-fiving each other and going "YEEEAAH" now and then. It's even worse when they clinch on the road, like the White Sox winning in Houston. A bunch of guys in grey and black high-fiving each other in silence. This is my last memory of baseball until next spring?

the A's havent quite been the ALs version of the Expos

Actually, they have, in that when you look around the league at great players, many of them were A's. It wasn't until 2004 that the Expos were terrible, and MLB planned it that way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hear ya bro!

I was 8 when I watched the 1984 series from my living room with my pops and younger borthers (6 and 4 at the time) in Kalamazoo, MI.

Ah hell I was 3 when the Tigers last won the World Series, but when I heard that it did bring a tear to my eye. Being a Tigers fan that you will always remember young or old, this is something you can share with your kids today. I had my daughter next to me as we watched and this was one of the greatest days as the Tigers are back in the ALCS.

I hear ya bro!

Man am I old... I was AT game 5 in 1984 when Gibby hit the two home runs...and I was plenty old enough to drink. (I was 23.) Here's some reference for you all. My series ticket cost 10 bucks. Granted I was in the lower deck in Center Field but still 10 bucks to see The World Series. Now 10 bucks can't get you a parking spot within 5 miles of a stadium at a World Series game. When I lived in Toledo we used to go to Tigers games for 5 dollars and sit in pretty decent seats. Those were the days. Anyone remember "Bless You Boys?"

I'd love to see the Tigers bring it home again.

BB52Big.jpg

Bleacher seats at ol' Tiger Stadium were cheap as hell.

I saw many a games there.

I saw a few on school outings.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Commissioner of

Anyone remember "Bless You Boys?"

I'd love to see the Tigers bring it home again.

i still have my copy of "Bless You Boys", the book that was published after the '84 season (Sparky's account of the season in a game by game diary format)....i crack it open every now and then....also, i still have the entire collection of Detroit Tigers placemats from Elias Bros. Big Boy restaurants from that season. as a matter of fact, they are in rotation at the dinner table at my son's spot!

Archived