The Univ. of Louisville to wear all black for the first time...

JayMack23

For the first time in school history, The University of Louisville will be wearing all black (both uniforms and helmet) against top 5 ranked West Virginia. I know that the University at one time wore black helmets, but I don't think they have worn them in the past 30 years. The fans are also strongly urged to wear the official "Blackout" shirts being sold around town, or a black shirt in general. This is much like the Miami Heat's "white out" fans.

Honestly I think it's a very cool concept and will look great on ESPN. I just can't wait to see how these black Helmets are going to look.

UofL-West Virginia Football Game Designated as "Black Out Thursday"

WVU-blacked-out-300.gif

Official black out shirts available at the Neutral Zone in Louisville

Sept. 20, 2006

The official black out shirt is available at the Neutral Zone.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville has designated the West Virginia game on Thursday, Nov 2 as "Black Out Thursday." All Cardinal fans are encouraged to wear black for this nationally televised game. The "official" black out t-shirt is available exclusively at the Neutral Zone for only $10.00 while supplies last.

The ONLY place the official t-shirt is available is at the following two Neutral Zone locations: 8003 Shelbyville Rd. (across from Oxmoor Mall) & 117 Blankenbaker Parkway in Blankenbaker Plaza.

Contact information:

Shelbyville Road location, 502-412-0156

Blankenbaker Parkway, 502-489-5300

www.theneutral-zone.com

The Cards and Mountaineers will meet on Thursday, Nov. 2 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium and the game will be televised by ESPN.

I know that the University at one time wore black helmets, but I don't think they have worn them in the past 30 years.

1983: 1983bm1.gif

1984: 1984eh8.gif

For better or for worse, a black helmet would complete the look of the all black uniforms.

2005:

111105yw2.jpg

2006:

090306gg1.jpg

Why, why, why?? Cha-ching is right, that's the only reason. It's stupid when they do that - it looks terrible, unless it's your school colors. Damded traitors. :cursing:

That's exactly why Louisville can get away with this.

The official colors of the University of Louisville are PMS 485 red and black (Van Son Sonaglass royal black or comparable).

http://php.louisville.edu/advancement/ocm/...tity/colors.php

Having just moved away from Louisville, I feel a little left out. There's no doubt in my mind that the city will be VERY into this. I can't say that the Cards will look especially attractive, but if they feel switching everything up will get them over last year's implosion (and possible best game of 2005) at WVU, so be it.

The one Cards game I went to featured Louisville in their all-reds. I think some schools can pull off the monochromes -- WVU comes to mind -- but U of L isn't one of them. I am excited, however, that they're changing the helmet too. It'd be fun if the helmet were to be all black without a logo. That'd show 'em.

Having just moved away from Louisville, I feel a little left out. There's no doubt in my mind that the city will be VERY into this. I can't say that the Cards will look especially attractive, but if they feel switching everything up will get them over last year's implosion (and possible best game of 2005) at WVU, so be it.

The one Cards game I went to featured Louisville in their all-reds. I think some schools can pull off the monochromes -- WVU comes to mind -- but U of L isn't one of them. I am excited, however, that they're changing the helmet too. It'd be fun if the helmet were to be all black without a logo. That'd show 'em.

First FSU, now Louisville. Of course, black is an official school color, plue red and white lend themselves much better to an all-black look than does garnet and gold--unless it's done the right way. As we've all seen, the Swoosh's design of the "special all-black" tribute uniforms aint exactly awe-inspiring, but FSU could take a lesson from Louisville the next time they roll out hte tributes and go to a black dome themselves.

At least Louisville's all-blacks look natural for the team as is...

I know that the University at one time wore black helmets, but I don't think they have worn them in the past 30 years.

1983: 1983bm1.gif

1984: 1984eh8.gif

For better or for worse, a black helmet would complete the look of the all black uniforms.

2005:

111105yw2.jpg

2006:

090306gg1.jpg

While the black works with the Cards current uniform set, every time I see them in black I have bad flashbacks to my years as a student there - we switched to black jerseys when I was a Sophmore and added the black helmets when I was a Senior (no black pants back then; just white with black/red/black stripes). For me the black is firmly tied to 5-6 seasons and losses to I-AA teams; so they'll need to win vs. WVU to fully exorcise those memories.

I don't know if the following is big enough, but they could at least auction this stuff off afterwards for charity. That way everybody wins: the school makes money on their 10 buck t-shirts, the fans get to tell all their friends that they survived the blackout of 06, the charities get some cash, and most importantly, West Virginia wins handedly and climbs to #2 in the rankings!

I don't know if the following is big enough, but they could at least auction this stuff off afterwards for charity. That way everybody wins: the school makes money on their 10 buck t-shirts, the fans get to tell all their friends that they survived the blackout of 06, the charities get some cash, and most importantly, West Virginia wins handedly and climbs to #2 in the rankings!

WVU's defense is pathetic and they won't even sniff number 2 this year even if they get by the cards. Florida, USC, Michigan and Ohio State all have greater claims to number 2 at this point in the season then does WVU who struggled with a team such as ECU. On the note of the black helmets whatever helps them beat the hillbillies I am all for it. I hate WVU and their stupid highlighter yellow striped white pants.

Not crazy about those t-shirts, but personally, I think the black uni's with the 1982 "full body" Cardinal logo would look real sweet...only draw back is not having Michael Bush run through the WVU defense.

Archived