Dallas Cowboys helmet identification

Survival79

The Cowboys don't have the player's number posted on the helemt. I guess you have to have some way to tell what helmet is yours.

Couldn't they just sharpie the names on the inside? :P It really is redneck putting labels on the back, stripe (no less) of the helmets. Funny I never noticed before.

The Cowboys don't have the player's number posted on the helemt. I guess you have to have some way to tell what helmet is yours.

Couldn't they just sharpie the names on the inside? :P It really is redneck putting labels on the back, stripe (no less) of the helmets. Funny I never noticed before.

i live in, and grew up in dallas, and never noticed.

Actually I read somewhere when I was a kid that they were there for the benefit of the equipment crew.

Why they didn't just go with the players number like everyone else is beyond me though.

at least the labels are consistent with the rest of the uniform in that none of the blues match. It does look cheap, but I think if they stopped doing it at this point, it would be killing a tradition.

yeah i noticed that on sunday, as long as they have been doing it for a while i am fine with it. it kind of does go with their uniform, mismatching blues, different silvers, very amatueur. in those pictures they have a warning sticker, is that really needed, i mean the guys using the helmets use them at least 3 times a weak, i think they know.

heh, how could one not notice that little extra "stripe" on there, especially seeing as the other 31 teams don't do it? long as I can recall, they've had those. reminds me of when I was in high school, we had small name stickers on our helmets, though ours were clear and printed. I think we had em on the back like the Boys for one year, and on the lefthand front my last two years there

To tell you the truth, I just noticed it when they were playing against Jacksonville earlier this year. And the only way I noticed it was by the stunning clarity of HDTV. But yeah, I noticed, and I thought it was kinda Pop Warner-ish and something that Bill Parcells put in just for the hell of it. Never would've guessed that they've been using this for decades.

To tell you the truth, I just noticed it when they were playing against Jacksonville earlier this year. And the only way I noticed it was by the stunning clarity of HDTV. But yeah, I noticed, and I thought it was kinda Pop Warner-ish and something that Bill Parcells put in just for the hell of it. Never would've guessed that they've been using this for decades.

It's not unique to the Cowboys. I've been around a number of locker rooms where teams label helmets this way. It's primitive but it works.

But it did use to drive me nuts seeing that blue stripe and not knowing why it was there.

Archived