Royal Blue Chargers fans, rejoice...

Sodboy13

Watching the Bolts in the throwbacks tonight, and wearing my powder blue jersey, I got inspired to do a little window shopping. And, lo and behold, Reebok has finally gotten the late '70s/early '80s royal blue Chargers jerseys done up properly.

Dan Fouts

Kellen Winslow

The Fouts one is also available at nflshop.com and chargersstore.com for $125.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Watching the Bolts in the throwbacks tonight, and wearing my powder blue jersey, I got inspired to do a little window shopping. And, lo and behold, Reebok has finally gotten the late '70s/early '80s royal blue Chargers jerseys done up properly.

Dan Fouts

Kellen Winslow

Except that they should not have the NFL shield logo on the collar. They last wore those unis in 1985 and the NFL logo on the collar did not start until 1987. Also, the numbers should be screened on, not the phony tackle twill.

Except that they should not have the NFL shield logo on the collar. They last wore those unis in 1985 and the NFL logo on the collar did not start until 1987. Also, the numbers should be screened on, not the phony tackle twill.

Well, yeah, but that's what Reebok does on this product line. There are '60s Packers Hornung and Starr jerseys, and they've got the shield. But last year, Reebok really went the half-arsed route, and trotted out a powder blue Kellen Winslow throwback with yellow numbers. That's what I meant by them finally getting it right.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, yeah, but that's what Reebok does on this product line. There are '60s Packers Hornung and Starr jerseys, and they've got the shield. But last year, Reebok really went the half-arsed route, and trotted out a powder blue Kellen Winslow throwback with yellow numbers. That's what I meant by them finally getting it right.

Yes, they got the colors correct, but they got the details wrong. I don't know why it is so hard to do these things correctly.

Except that they should not have the NFL shield logo on the collar.

Also, the numbers should be screened on, not the phony tackle twill.

I have the same complaint about Reebok's replicas of the '76 Patriots uniforms.

WOW. :blink:

I'm glad I bought my Fouts home and away jerseys back in the early 80's. They were around $45 each.

That reminds me: completely off-topic, but does anyone know the best way to clean jerseys that are over 25 years old? They've been in hangning in my closet for a long time and are musty. I was worried about the painted-on numbers melting or disintergrating. Anyone have advise on this? Thanks

While I'd still put the powder blues first among Charger jerseys, the royal blues are a close second. Too bad that when they had that color scheme they usually wore white at home. I guess they wanted to separate themselves from the Rams, who had the same colors and usually wore blue.

WOW. :blink:

I'm glad I bought my Fouts home and away jerseys back in the early 80's. They were around $45 each.

That reminds me: completely off-topic, but does anyone know the best way to clean jerseys that are over 25 years old? They've been in hangning in my closet for a long time and are musty. I was worried about the painted-on numbers melting or disintergrating. Anyone have advise on this? Thanks

I don't know the status of the numbers as they are now, but if it were me I wouldn't risk washing them and ruining them.

On topic: Yeah, I saw these a few days ago on the Chargers online store. They're also selling the white versions for both players, the versions worn must of the time when they had the royal/yellow scheme.

I wouldn't mind seeing them go with these full time, but they would have to add a second outline to the bolts on the blue jerseys and pants.

I don't understand the "love" for the 70/80's SD uni's.

They powder blues's are cool, but way over appreciated. Bringiing them back once a year is fine.

But keep those disco era uni's in mothballs!

While I'd still put the powder blues first among Charger jerseys, the royal blues are a close second. Too bad that when they had that color scheme they usually wore white at home. I guess they wanted to separate themselves from the Rams, who had the same colors and usually wore blue.

They wore white at home because Don Coryell believed in giving his players every advantage at home. The white reflected the sun and heat, so he had them wear white at home. True story.

Archived