Hand warmers part of the jersey itself?

Geoff

111105yw2.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like Brian Brohm has a hand warmer built into the stomach area of the jersey. It's either that or a random red panel.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Wouldn't surprise me - it's common for QBs in cold climates to have a jersey with a built-in handwarmer.

Funny detail - Brett Favre continued to wear his old one - with the extra sleeve stripes - for two or three years after Nike took over the Packers contract. Apparently nobody bothered to replace his cold-weather jersey....

Gothamite beat me to Brett's built-in warmer...and I could swear on my mama he broke it out one more time against Minnesota or somebody about 3-5 years ago, though they likely made him take it off before the second half of that game. I know what I saw, and I can't recall the other team being anybody BUT the Vikes. Stuck out like a sore thumb cus he was the only guy with five stripes, and one of the few Packers at the time who could have had an old five striper on him. Shoot, now he's damn near the only Packer who hasn't always worn three stripes.

I remember the fanny pack warmers, hell, nowadays they're plain black or white, but they used to have striping and logos on em, like Jim Kelly's for instance: two stripes near each hole and the buffalo and BILLS in the middle. Brett had a plain white one with simply the G, and then I remember Elway having one, among others.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I recall quite a few QBs having the built-in pockets back in the old days. It always looked cool, so as a kid, I would pretend that my replica jersey had hand warmers on those 20 degree days when I would be out in the backyard playing football.

In the 70s, most NFL players had hand-warmers built into their jerseys.

I always remember Bernie Kosar with one built in to his jersey like pockets where his hands/arms would go on top of each other- so that if the pockets weren't there he would look like a RB faking a carry on a play action.

359239.jpg

fade.gif

That one is a little different - I've never seen one with a contrasting color inside the pocket...kinda cool, actually.

My question is are they just pockets, or do they have the actual hand warmers that you can heat up and rub together inside?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 4 years later...

Hi, I'm new to the community after looking up some more information on hand-warmers on jerseys and came across this forum. Do any of you know, for these sewn on hand-warmers, does the team custom sew these onto the jersey when the jersey is fitted to the player's specifications (including additional cropping, hemming, sleeve adjustments), or are these hand-warmers affixed onto the jersey when the jersey itself is manufactured(for example, if an NFL game jersey, is the hand-warmer created in the Berlin, WI factory?). I recently purchased a quarterback jersey that has something similar shown in the photos above and wanted to get some more information on this. Thanks for the help!

I know that's something I've been curious about for a while. I would assume that the answer today would be different than the answer 10 or 15 or 20 years ago.

I know nothing (in general - not just related to this topic) but I always thought that the team's equip guys (or team seamstress) modified the jerseys to add these pockets. I would guess that it's more standardized now and the teams can order the modifications from the manufacturer (which I guess would mean that they come from Wisconsin - Ripon, right?).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Apparently they didn't have the "option" if Reebok didn't offer them. So that would imply that it's a custom job by the team's equip staff.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Funny story :) biggest game of the year this year and our second string safety (who actually plays in most games) breaks out his hamdwarmer as always but stuffs fruitsnacks and cheese its and other snacks in it. Biggest game of the year by far

This doesn't happen to be your buddy, is it?

Jamarcus-Russell-Skittles.jpg

I believe Paul Lukas wrote an article about this and IIRC, the conclusion was that it is the team equipment staff that make these, not the mfg.

Thanks, was the article posted here or another website?

Also, I noticed on my jersey there is a zipper is that also a common feature on the hand-warmers?

I believe Paul Lukas wrote an article about this and IIRC, the conclusion was that it is the team equipment staff that make these, not the mfg.

Thanks, was the article posted here or another website?

Also, I noticed on my jersey there is a zipper is that also a common feature on the hand-warmers?

uniwatchblog.com

Archived