D.C. United Sold

Mac the Knife

MLS' D.C. United are apparently being sold to an outfit based in Durham, NC, known as "Blue Devil Ventures." Price tag? $ 33 million.

WTF? An MLS franchise is worth $ 33 million?

MLS teams are a license to lose money. Why the hell anyone would pay $ 33 million for one is beyond me.

Rumor down here is that the team might undergo a name change to the "D.C. Devils" for 2007 or 2008. I kid you not.

nav-logo.png

MLS' D.C. United are apparently being sold to an outfit based in Durham, NC, known as "Blue Devil Ventures." Price tag? $ 33 million.

MLS teams are a license to lose money. Why the hell anyone would pay $ 33 million for one is beyond me.

Rumor down here is that the team might undergo a name change to the "D.C. Devils" for 2007 or 2008. I kid you not.

Blue Devil Ventures is the name of the firm founded by former Duke teammates Brian Davis and Christian Laettner. They first made headlines earlier this month when they plunked down $360 MILLION to buy the Memphis Grizzlies.

Of course, when you are acquired by anyone associated with Duke you are bound to eternal failure.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I highly doubt that would ever happen. Maybe "Devils" would come on as a nickname, but I forsee the club always being known as DC United.

The tide is turning in MLS with soccer specific stadiums poping up, the league doesn't have to pay rent to some of the NFL teams, and with these stadiums they get revenue from other events. In Los Angeles at The Home Depot Center they have concerts year round and they also host the X games. Thats all revenue for the owners AEG. So as long these teams have their own stadiums they are mostly in the red, or are going to get there soon. Los Angeles, Dallas, Columbus, Chicago have their own, and Dever, Salt Lake, New York and soon The DC area will have one.

Maybe that's why Brian Davis and his partners are investing in DC United. IMO 33 million is a bargin, Red Bull drink bought the Metrostars (New York) for 100 million.

And, Yes this team is worth 33 million.

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Maybe that's why Brian Davis and his partners are investing in DC United. IMO 33 million is a bargin, Red Bull drink bought the Metrostars (New York) for 100 million.

I was just about to ask that very question...thanks xxjdm66...btw, how much was the Toronto FC franchise purchased for? I'm just trying to get a baseline of how valuable MLS franchises are.

I was just about to ask that very question...thanks xxjdm66...btw, how much was the Toronto FC franchise purchased for? I'm just trying to get a baseline of how valuable MLS franchises are.

This is from CBC Sports,

Toronto's city council voted 25-13 to approve $9.8 million in funding for the construction of the $62.8-million stadium. Ottawa will contribute $27 million, while Queen's Park will chip in another $8 million. MLSE (Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainmnet) will commit $8 million and naming rights are expected to account for another $10 million plus the 20 million expansion fee.

The new stadium was the key to Toronto gaining admittance into MLS.

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

This is from CBC Sports,

Toronto's city council voted 25-13 to approve $9.8 million in funding for the construction of the $62.8-million stadium. Ottawa will contribute $27 million, while Queen's Park will chip in another $8 million. MLSE (Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainmnet) will commit $8 million and naming rights are expected to account for another $10 million plus the 20 million expansion fee.

The new stadium was the key to Toronto gaining admittance into MLS.

$20 Million for an expansion franchise? Wow...that's like...what...$5.74 American...right? :flagusa::flagcanada:

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

A team called United with a devil as a mascot? That's absolutely ridiculous. It'll never take hold in the soccer world.

That's just as bad as the former Renegades mascot "The Gade". "The Gade" was an alligator. Now, with the new 'Gades logo featuring a pirate. I think an alligator may work decent as the mascot. But, hopefully we use a pirate. Yeah, I got off track.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

i believe you are referring to Man u correct Vh?

Excellent work, Holmes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The last I heard of DC United's stadium plan, the location was actually on federal land and must be transferred to the district of columbia in order for it to go through. The location was close to the Nationals ballpark. Regardless, the neighborhood was not too keen on teh plan, and it was in a lower income area of D.C. The Davis/Laettner venture may include development of housing, in an attempt to make sure that a transfer of the land takes place. Best efforts were to have it open by 2009. That is probably now a reach.

The last I heard of DC United's stadium plan, the location was actually on federal land and must be transferred to the district of columbia in order for it to go through. The location was close to the Nationals ballpark. Regardless, the neighborhood was not too keen on teh plan, and it was in a lower income area of D.C. The Davis/Laettner venture may include development of housing, in an attempt to make sure that a transfer of the land takes place. Best efforts were to have it open by 2009. That is probably now a reach.

They should build the stadium here in Herndon,or Loudoun County.

How the hell did Brian Davis (and Christian Laettner) accumulate that much dosh to purchase TWO franchises?

Laettner is obviously the princile in BDV. His initial contract with Minnesota was for $21.6 million over six. His next contract with Atlanta was for $18 million over three. That is a lot to invest.

A team called United with a devil as a mascot? That's absolutely ridiculous. It'll never take hold in the soccer world.

0% chance that happens. And you can take that to the bank.

Manchester-United.png

Good call, champ.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived