Only the big boys

lilgump

As I was reading through an article on gohuskies.com I noticed this section, which I found interesting.

Only the Big Boys: Washington is one of just eight NCAA Division I-A programs that has never faced a non-Division I-A opponent since the current division setup was established in 1978. Coming into this season that club included nine programs, but Colorado dropped out of that group after opening the 2006 season against Montana State. The seven remaining schools that have yet to play a non-Division I-A opponent since the advent of the current format are Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, UCLA and Washington.

http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/.../100906aab.html

Thoughts? Personally I dont mind these big D1 schools playing smaller ones. If I played at a small school like that I think it would be a dream to be able to play some of the big boys. Even if most the time they get crushed, there are the times when a team gets beat.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

D-1 should never play D-1AA its a joke, its an easy win and shoudl not count for bowls or ranking or anything.

Tell that to Colorado, Northwestern, Duke and the other 1-A teams that have lost to 1-AA teams this year.

Maybe everyone could just try to play Temple instead.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

But...many times the D1's will PAY GOOD MONEY to have the D1AA's come to play in their house for like a homecoming or a season opener. It's in the 1AA's best interest to go get slaughtered for the paycheck.

Indiana State University's football program was (still is) 1AA, and I can remember in the school newspaper that my sophomore year ( i think ), Oklahoma paid us some ung-dly amount (I'm thinking close to $500,000) to come and be their fodder for their home opener. Iowa State, Kansas State, IU, and most recently Purdue all do the same. ISU couldn't turn down good money like that...as 99% of our athletics budget is poured into our feeble basketball program. Coming off an 0-11 season...the 1A's don't choose us for our talent...or how our horrid uniforms.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

the 1A's don't choose us for our talent...or how our horrid uniforms.

Maybe so, but the few 1-AA teams that have played at Mizzou have actually had some very nice uniforms - Northwestern State (LA) and Murray State stand out in my mind.

In my opinion, the best D-1AA teams are better than the worst D-1A teams.

Agreed. The top teams in the A10 and Southern Conference can hang with a lot of 1-A teams. That might even go for the Gateway and the Big Sky.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

D-1 should never play D-1AA its a joke, its an easy win and shoudl not count for bowls or ranking or anything.

...and Texas playing Rice isn't?*

*and don't give me any lip about the old Southwest Conference, either. Texas hasn't played SMU or TCU since the SWC dissolved, and only got around to playing Houston in 2000. Rice, on the other hand, is now a nearly yearly easy W for the Longhorns.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Agreed. The top teams in the A10 and Southern Conference can hang with a lot of 1-A teams. That might even go for the Gateway and the Big Sky.

Gateway teams are historically pretty good, and usually do put up good fights (if they don't win.)

Also Colorado's loss is even funnier because the team that beat them went on to lose to a Division II team. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Furman took Pitt to overtime in Pittsburgh the year the Panthers went to the Fiesta Bowl.

These games benefit both sides, and has nothing to do with the game's result.

For the big schools, it's an opportunity to get another home game and sell tickets. Football is the big money-maker at most, if not all, schools.

For the small schools, playing these big schools not only gets them a nice-sized paycheck, but the opportunity for their players to say "We hung with this big-name program into the second quarter!". It also helps with recruiting if they get some TV exposure.

I don't think one game against a lower division will do anything a football standpoint. I have faith in the methods of the NCAA and the writers to determine an undisputed national champion. :)

Sarcasm noted

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

As I was reading through an article on gohuskies.com I noticed this section, which I found interesting.

Only the Big Boys: Washington is one of just eight NCAA Division I-A programs that has never faced a non-Division I-A opponent since the current division setup was established in 1978. Coming into this season that club included nine programs, but Colorado dropped out of that group after opening the 2006 season against Montana State. The seven remaining schools that have yet to play a non-Division I-A opponent since the advent of the current format are Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, UCLA and Washington.

http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/.../100906aab.html

Thoughts? Personally I dont mind these big D1 schools playing smaller ones. If I played at a small school like that I think it would be a dream to be able to play some of the big boys. Even if most the time they get crushed, there are the times when a team gets beat.

I'm having trouble with the math here...

The article says WASHINGTON is one of just 8 NCAA Division I-A programs, etc. It says Colorado was the 9th, but dropped off the list. Then it says the 7 remaining schools are Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, UCLA, and WASHINGTON. So is it 8 or 7?

wow... good find... Someone forgot to not count washington twice... Maybe thats supposed to be washington state? Have they played a IAA team?

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

i personally don't like this cupcake schedule concept because as a general fan of college football, it makes for a really boring first 4-5 weeks of the season.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Archived