New Colorado Rapids Logo?

Brian in Boston

Colorado does mean reddish in Spanish, so maybe it has something to do with that.

Actually, the word colorado means "colored" in Spanish, without any reference to a specific color.

The Spanish word for "reddish" is rojizo, derived from the Spanish word for "red"... rojo.

From Wikipedia:

"The word "Colorado" was selected by Congress in 1861 as the name for the territory that is today a state. The name has its origins in the Spanish language, where it is directly translated as "colored," and is often taken to mean "reddish colored." "

Yes, I know wikipedia isn't a great source but it's quick and easy. Just because a translator says it means "colored" doesn't mean that's the only meaning for it.

From Wikipedia:

"The word "Colorado" was selected by Congress in 1861 as the name for the territory that is today a state. The name has its origins in the Spanish language, where it is directly translated as "colored," and is often taken to mean "reddish colored." "

Yes, I know wikipedia isn't a great source but it's quick and easy.

Yes... and Wikipedia quickly and easily reveals that colorado is directly translated as "colored", while only taken to mean "reddish colored".
Just because a translator says it means "colored" doesn't mean that's the only meaning for it.

Well, in this case the translator in question is my cousin. She happens to have spent ten years living, studying and working in Spain. Further, she served as an interpreter with the Spanish Consulate in Boston for five-and-a-half years. I'm going to go with her educated assessment of just what the word colorado actually means in the Spanish language.

Bottom line, the word colorado does not mean "reddish" in Spanish. Further, the vast majority of folks who have taken it to mean "reddish colored" are people ignorant of its true meaning in Spanish.

From Wikipedia:

Yes, I know wikipedia isn't a great source but it's quick and easy.

Yes... and Wikipedia quickly and easily reveals that colorado is directly translated as "colored", while only taken to mean "reddish colored".
Just because a translator says it means "colored" doesn't mean that's the only meaning for it.

Well, in this case the translator in question is my cousin. She happens to have spent ten years living, studying and working in Spain. Further, she served as an interpreter with the Spanish Consulate in Boston for five-and-a-half years. I'm going to go with her educated assessment of just what the word colorado actually means in the Spanish language.

Bottom line, the word colorado does not mean "reddish" in Spanish. Further, the vast majority of folks who have taken it to mean "reddish colored" are people ignorant of its true meaning in Spanish.

Well, you got me there.

Archived