NHL changes for next year

KrazyHorse

Because soccer players, swimmers, and runners

1. Do not wear bulky equipment

2. Do not wear skates

I guess hockey players don't sweat either, nicht wahr?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soccer kits need to be dryer because players are on the field nonstop and can never towel off. They also run WAY more than an American football player.

American football uniforms are getting smaller and tighter so that no opposing players have extra fabric to hold on to when making a block or a tackle.

Swimming, track, etc. are more aerodynamic because a fraction of a second can be the difference between winning and coming last.

Hockey, on the other hand, doesn't really have any of the above concerns.

Soccer kits need to be dryer because players are on the field nonstop and can never towel off. They also run WAY more than an American football player.

American football uniforms are getting smaller and tighter so that no opposing players have extra fabric to hold on to when making a block or a tackle.

Swimming, track, etc. are more aerodynamic because a fraction of a second can be the difference between winning and coming last.

There's no clutching or grabbing in hockey? Amazing.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Has anyone answered yet how this fancy "wisking" material is supposed to do that when it's held off the skin by one or more sets of pads? If it can't do it's job, doesn't that negate the need for the fancy material?

If it works like other moisture-wicking materials (Dri-FIT, Gore-Tex, OmniTech, etc.), the undergarments transport the moisture up each layer, and in the case of a hockey player, it will wick out to the jersey in areas where the there are no pads covering. As those areas dry out, moisture is drawn to those areas from areas covered by pads.

Look, I'm not a fan of Swift jerseys by any stretch, nor do I think performance-enhancing materials are a panacea, but the overreaction by some is just silly. Let's put it this way. Without enhancements in jersey materials, we'd be stuck with this:

1170b.jpg

or even this:

0887840787.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If you think moisture retention is bad in jerseys now, try wearing a good old-fashioned wool sweater.

The final version of next year's jerseys will be at this year's All-Star game.

These jerseys have been in development for almost 2 years?? I think it took NASA less time to build space suits.

:hockeysmiley:

Probably because they kept :censored:ing it up with crappy designs that distract from any technological advancements in the jerseys.

As for "wicking away moisture", don't most players wear UnderArmor? Doesn't that do the exact same thing?

As for "wicking away moisture", don't most players wear UnderArmor? Doesn't that do the exact same thing?

Yes, but it either goes to the pads on onto the jersey, where it just sits there because of the material and weave of the fabric. New pads channel the moisture they receive to the open (i.e. no padding covering it) areas of the body to be wicked out. Ostensibly, the new materials are breathable enough to allow the moisture to evaporate off from there much quicker than previous fabrics, allowing players to not be weighed down with sweat and water from the ice as the game progresses.

Of course, regarding pads, I wish materials scientists would listen to me and bond leather to neoprene on goalie pads to eliminate Soggy Pad Syndrome. You'd think they would have thought of that already...

There's no clutching or grabbing in hockey? Amazing.

the clutching and grabbing in hockey is VERY different than grabbing a jersey in football...

football players aren't wearing those oversized gloves. i couldn't grab someone's jersey with my gloves on, if i tried.

clutching and grabbing in hockey is when you grab someone's LIMB. you grab an arm, or a shoulder, or put your stick in their armpit. it's not taking your fingers and grabbing the material of the jersey, so they can't get away.

i can promise you that i'd just as easily be able to obstruct someone wearing a "swift" jersey, as opposed to a current hockey jersey.

the clutching and grabbing in hockey is VERY different than grabbing a jersey in football...

football players aren't wearing those oversized gloves. i couldn't grab someone's jersey with my gloves on, if i tried.

clutching and grabbing in hockey is when you grab someone's LIMB. you grab an arm, or a shoulder, or put your stick in their armpit. it's not taking your fingers and grabbing the material of the jersey, so they can't get away.

i can promise you that i'd just as easily be able to obstruct someone wearing a "swift" jersey, as opposed to a current hockey jersey.

You may need to work on your dexterity then, as I can do it just fine, as can most NHL players.

In response to hockey not needing magic uniforms to help the players, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that in the experiment at the Olympics, the Swedes won the gold despite being one of two teams not using "swift" uniforms. The other team, Switzerland, also had an excellent tournament.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Yes, but it either goes to the pads on onto the jersey, where it just sits there because of the material and weave of the fabric. New pads channel the moisture they receive to the open (i.e. no padding covering it) areas of the body to be wicked out. Ostensibly, the new materials are breathable enough to allow the moisture to evaporate off from there much quicker than previous fabrics, allowing players to not be weighed down with sweat and water from the ice as the game progresses.

Of course, regarding pads, I wish materials scientists would listen to me and bond leather to neoprene on goalie pads to eliminate Soggy Pad Syndrome. You'd think they would have thought of that already...

Fair enough. I'm just not convinced that making the players a little drier and lighter during the game (of which I have heard no complaints, ie: no player has made a big deal about it, seeing as that's how they've played hockey their whole lives, wet and heavy) is worth compromising the look of the NHL.

Fair enough. I'm just not convinced that making the players a little drier and lighter during the game (of which I have heard no complaints, ie: no player has made a big deal about it, seeing as that's how they've played hockey their whole lives, wet and heavy) is worth compromising the look of the NHL.

I agree there. I see no reason why the new materials can't be cut in the same pattern as the current jerseys, though when I played I had my mom take a bit out of the body of my jersey so there would be less flapping around for someone to grab, so maybe the slimming down of the jersey body may be of some use to some. The speed advantages aren't that significant when compared to say speed skating or track and field, but I say we clone Geoff Courtnall, then go back in time and have the clone do a fastest skater competition with the original Courtnall after playing for 2 periods to see what the difference is. It's the only way to be sure. ;)

I agree there. I see no reason why the new materials can't be cut in the same pattern as the current jerseys, though when I played I had my mom take a bit out of the body of my jersey so there would be less flapping around for someone to grab, so maybe the slimming down of the jersey body may be of some use to some. The speed advantages aren't that significant when compared to say speed skating or track and field, but I say we clone Geoff Courtnall, then go back in time and have the clone do a fastest skater competition with the original Courtnall after playing for 2 periods to see what the difference is. It's the only way to be sure. ;)

I'll get on that right away :D

Has anyone answered yet how this fancy "wisking" material is supposed to do that when it's held off the skin by one or more sets of pads? If it can't do it's job, doesn't that negate the need for the fancy material?

If it works like other moisture-wicking materials (Dri-FIT, Gore-Tex, OmniTech, etc.), the undergarments transport the moisture up each layer, and in the case of a hockey player, it will wick out to the jersey in areas where the there are no pads covering. As those areas dry out, moisture is drawn to those areas from areas covered by pads.

Look, I'm not a fan of Swift jerseys by any stretch, nor do I think performance-enhancing materials are a panacea, but the overreaction by some is just silly. Let's put it this way. Without enhancements in jersey materials, we'd be stuck with this:

1170b.jpg

or even this:

0887840787.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If you think moisture retention is bad in jerseys now, try wearing a good old-fashioned wool sweater.

The diffrence was that when we updated then, it really was an improvement. How much do you really think these new form fitting sweaters will really improve the game? Will Team A really have more of an advantage over Team B just because Team A has the new form fitting sweaters, and Team B doesn't? This is just RBK changing things up for the sake of change, at the expence of traditional jersey designs.

The diffrence was that when we updated then, it really was an improvement. How much do you really think these new form fitting sweaters will really improve the game? Will Team A really have more of an advantage over Team B just because Team A has the new form fitting sweaters, and Team B doesn't? This is just RBK changing things up for the sake of change, at the expence of traditional jersey designs.

Er, I wasn't referring to the form fitting properties, but rather their moisture-wicking properties. In fact, that was the entire point of the post you just quoted.

Then how come football kits are in the never-ending quest to be lighter, drier, and less wind-resistant than before? Need I bring up research regarding track and field uniforms and skin-suits in competitative swimming?

Because soccer players, swimmers, and runners

1. Do not wear bulky equipment

2. Do not wear skates

Speedskaters wear skates.

Football players wear bulky equipment. And football uniforms are probably the most tight fitting uniforms of the major sports.

And for those saying this will turn them off of hockey: I guess you were never really hockey fans anyway. Sounds to me like you were uniform fans if something that simple would turn you off of the entire game. Although this board may be dedicated to sports, people partake in athletics usually for other reasons. But if logos and uniforms are really your reason for following sports... well... I guess everyone has different reasons. Just seems like a silly reason to me. I, however, like the actual sport of hockey. They could play in cooperalls and wife beaters and I wouldn't care. Hockey is hockey.

Hopefully they make them in the traditional fit too for fashion jerseys so people who like them baggy can still wear them like that. Although I like the tighter fitting uniforms much more for wearing on the street. They fit alot better (the swifts anyway, these might be different) and don't look like you're trying to be ghetto or wearing a dress. I get tired of hearing "isn't that jersey alittle big for you?" when I wear my high school uniform. Baggy uniforms look ugly anyway.

I'll get bashed but I like the change. But I disagree with this if teams like Montreal, New York, and Chicago have to change their jerseys though.

There's got to be a way to incorporate new age fabrics w/o screwing w/ the design element.And we d@mn well know that there's a way that it can be done.

Archived