NHL changes for next year

KrazyHorse

And for those saying this will turn them off of hockey: I guess you were never really hockey fans anyway.

There's a difference between being turned off of hockey and turned off of the NHL.

But feel free to drink some more of Gary Bettman's kool-aid.

I'm not going to let the marketing arms of Reebok and the NHL piss all over the tradition of the sport and expect me not to care or worse, go along with it and shell out $$$ to support it.

What would you say to Yankees fans who promised to give up rooting for the team if they switched to polka-dot vest jerseys?

1zgyd8w.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to hockey not needing magic uniforms to help the players, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that in the experiment at the Olympics, the Swedes won the gold despite being one of two teams not using "swift" uniforms. The other team, Switzerland, also had an excellent tournament.

I dunno about that. Raise your hands if you picked Finland to be in the Gold Medal Game. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

And to add to the Swedish Olympic win with the non swift jersey. I'll make it even more confusing. At the last World Champs in Latvia, every team minus Swtizerland, had a swift jersey. And who won the world champs? That's right Sweden with their new Nike Swift style jersey.

In response to hockey not needing magic uniforms to help the players, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that in the experiment at the Olympics, the Swedes won the gold despite being one of two teams not using "swift" uniforms. The other team, Switzerland, also had an excellent tournament.

I dunno about that. Raise your hands if you picked Finland to be in the Gold Medal Game. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :P

Well Finland did make it to the World Cup of Hockey final in 2004. So them being in the Gold Medal game was hardly surprising.

Well Finland did make it to the World Cup of Hockey final in 2004. So them being in the Gold Medal game was hardly surprising.

Where was Finland in your Olympic Hockey pool? :therock:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

My problem isn't the new material it's new designs. I don't see any reason why that can't update the material and keep the same designs. As Fred T. Jane ended up pointing out they have done it in the past why can't they do it know?

An excellent question.

The NFL tried this same line of bull when they unveiled the new refs uniforms. As if modern fabrics can't "do" even, vertical stripes....

So, a print like this is possible using old technology:

JERSEY-MIGHTY-DUCKS-S-1.jpg

But a print like this isn't possible using the new tecnology?

2f_1.JPG

If such a simple design is impossible, perhaps this new technology requires a little more work before it's ready to be adopted leaguewide

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I'll get bashed but I like the change. But I disagree with this if teams like Montreal, New York, and Chicago have to change their jerseys though.

There's got to be a way to incorporate new age fabrics w/o screwing w/ the design element.And we d@mn well know that there's a way that it can be done.

But it's Reebok, so that wont happen. :P

I'm not going to let the marketing arms of Reebok and the NHL piss all over the tradition of the sport and expect me not to care or worse, go along with it and shell out $$$ to support it.
Uniform designs, as well as the materials said uniforms are constructed of, have been in a state of flux throughout the history of professional sports.

I don't see any Major League Baseball teams taking to the field in baggy wool flannel anymore, National Football League teams sporting leather helmets or National Basketball Association clubs wearing satin shorts that resemble Speedo bathing suits. Believe me, if baseball survived such storied franchises as the Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs all succumbing to pull-overs and stretch waistbands during the 1970s and early-1980s, the NHL can deal with a more streamlined uniform being introduced. Those changes in uniforms didn't "piss all over the tradition of" their respective sports; neither will the NHL's changes.

Let's all just take a deep, cleansing breath and come back in from out on the ledge. Times change. The NHL will survive the evolution of the hockey uniform.

Where did this Fred guy come from and why is he being so in-your-face?

Nowhere you can find without a GPS. ;)

If such a simple design is impossible, perhaps this new technology requires a little more work before it's ready to be adopted leaguewide

The amusing thing is that it isn't impossible. Though I can't find an image of it, I have seen swift jersey designs (not concepts on this board) with horizontal stripes on the waist. I can't find them though. Perhaps I'm just delusional... :)

Uniform designs, as well as the materials said uniforms are constructed of, have been in a state of flux throughout the history of professional sports.

Just because "times change" doesn't mean this isn't a horrible idea. Look at those baseball TATC uniforms that we all chuckle about here. If MLB said, league-wide, those would be standard next year, would you dismiss the outrage over it as "oh get over it, get with the times, things change"?

Again, materials, I don't care. Jersey cut, I don't care. But radical changes to striping and logos, basically overnight? F that.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Look at those baseball TATC uniforms that we all chuckle about here. If MLB said, league-wide, those would be standard next year, would you dismiss the outrage over it as "oh get over it, get with the times, things change"?

Again, materials I don't car. Jersey cut, I don't care. But radical changes to striping and logos, basically overnight? F that.

First of all, we have absolutely no idea that the ultimate adjustments to be made to the vast majority of NHL uniforms will entail "radical changes to striping and logos", let alone approach the purposely envelope-pushing, one-off designs that constituted MLB's "Turn Ahead the Clock" promotion. Even raising the spectre of such wholesale changes being commonplace across the entirety of the NHL is - at best - highly speculative rumor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Simply put, just because management of the Buffalo Sabres chose to adopt a miserable new logo this season does not mean that each and every NHL franchise is about to introduce a miserable new logo. Just because the management of the Buffalo Sabres chose to roll out a new uniform template featuring a modern, rather than traditional, striping pattern this season does not mean that each and every NHL franchise is about to introduce a modernistic striping package to their uniforms.

Bottom line? The NHL has given no indication that graphics-wise a hockey equivalent of MLB's TATC uniforms are about to be introduced as the standard on-ice clothing in the league. Rather than allowing our collective imagination to run away with us, we should all wait to see what the "new" uniform designs actually look like before having a coniption about them.

Of course the simple designs are possible. It's all about the merchandising, my friend (isn't it always?). A league-wide change means 30 different markets will have to buy their favorite team/player's jersey all over again, with new stripes and logos. This is massive amounts of dollars for Reebok, and I'm convinced their sole motivation. I find it impossible to believe a need for such a change in the league other than that.

Then how come football kits are in the never-ending quest to be lighter, drier, and less wind-resistant than before? Need I bring up research regarding track and field uniforms and skin-suits in competitative swimming?

Because soccer players, swimmers, and runners

1. Do not wear bulky equipment

2. Do not wear skates

I'm not sure if you play hockey (I do). I'm not sure if you play football (I don't), a sport with similar bulky equipment that has seen considerable changes in uniform design lately for similar reasons, but I don't see anything wrong with trying to improve on the quality of playing equipment. By your reasoning, maybe goaltenders should go back to Jason masks (or baseball caps)?

Rather than allowing our collective imagination to run away with us, we should all wait to see what the "new" uniform designs actually look like before having a coniption about them.

This would mean deviating from the time-honored tradition of pre-emptive knicker-twisting amongst some of the rabid traditionalists here.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the actual changes in most team's jersey designs will be minimal, if at all. At most, maybe you'll see the bottom stripe disappear from the red Detroit jerseys and the Rangers use a logo crest.... That's nothing crazy, and I'm a life-long Wings fan.

Archived