Triple-A Lehigh Valley Unveils Team Name Finalists...

Brian in Boston

Awful. Just awful. They pass up Thunderhawks and Ironmen for this list of garbage? Vulcans makes sense, but I think people will always associate the term with Star Trek, no matter of the actual reasoning. I guess Keystones is the best, but only if they use the royal blue and yellow color scheme from the flag, license plates, etc. It is a unique color palette in baseball, sports in general it seems, and could produce a classy set of logos and unis.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this on a Phillies MB, FWIW: (credit to mrburns over there)

Not to be a too much of a conspiracy person, but don't be shocked if the "fan voting" turns out to be much ado about nothing. All done in an attempt to generate interest.

I strongly believe the team name has already been decided. Turns out that the website "LehighValleyPhillies.com" has already been registered by Skiltech,Inc.

Skiltech does the WebRing for the ReadingPhillies, and is the domain company for Lehighvalleyaaabaseball.com

Interestingly, the domain name was registered on June 16, 2006.

Much ado about nothing

So don't hold your breath on any other team names...

More "ammo" that the AAA Phillies may already have their team name, and that this contest to "Name the Team" is just smoke-and-mirrors:

As I mentioned in my previous post, the domain name LehighValleyPhillies.com has already been registered through Skiltech.com. Interestingly, there is no name for the Registrant of the domain name. It is just listed under Skiltech, Inc and a P.O. Box.

And as I also mentioned, LehighValleyAAABaseball.com is also registered through Skiltech. The Registrant? Gracie Baseball, the owner of the Lehigh Valley club.

The common thread? Both domain names were registered on the same day, June 16, 2006. Coincidence?

Need more of a common thread? Try shopping for some Reading Phillies merchandise online, and as you do, note the website address. Yep, Skiltech.com:

Smoking gun for the smoke-and mirrors?

By the way, isn't there something illegal about running a contest where the outcome is already determined? Sort of like having a lottery where the ping-pong balls have been picked before the contest even starts? Just wondering out loud....

For those that have searched through USPTO and discovered logos/names long before they were announced, is this a normal part of the process or is the name pretty much decided already?

Looks like LehighValleyVulcans.com was registered yesterday by a Robert Michener. No idea if he is associated with the team in any way, or just someone looking to make a buck if that name is picked.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lehigh Valley Knob Gobblers

:blink:

I'm sorry I don't know why that popped into my head.

I had a "Monty Python Meets Bevis & Butthead" moment.

More like, Monty Python Meets Beavis & Butthead Meets Bill Murray since Knob Gobblers (heh, heh) is similar to Gobbler's Knob, where they pull Punxatwny Phil out of his stump on Groundhogs Day. Gobblers-> Knob Gobblers-> Gobbler's Knob ->Groundhogs->Woodchucks. I have no idea what this means, other than Gobblers and Woodchucks are terrible names for a baseball team.

Edit: Wow, I just re-read this. I think this is more of a stream of conciousness than anything else. I just can't believe I am going to be attending and rooting for a team with one of these names.

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Iron Pigs works for me, and its quite clever. Screams minor league, but hey that's what they are, so why not roll with it.

I dislike this stance. I can see it for maybe Single-A or the Independent League, but this is going to be the top affiliate for the Phillies. Second only to the majors. You shouldn't use some bush-league name at the AAA level like the "Iron Pigs."

Seriously, the Iron Pigs? This sounds like a Disney movie about a youth football team at a fat camp in which a motley assortment of losers put their differences aside, and with the help of their coach with a heart of gold, are able to beat the rich kids at football camp with their hard-nosed determination and unorthodox gadget plays that would be illegal if it wasn't some dumb movie.

I had this same problem with the Milwaukee Admirals. You'd think minor league teams would want to look major league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I disagree TCR, why should minor league teams emulate major league teams with regard to nicknames. The best nicknames are the ones that tie into the area in which the team plays. Just having "professional" or generic nicknames takes away that sense of ownership. Iron Pigs is a fine name. It's too bad that the contest seems to be a facade if Phillies is already the winner.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Yeah, I agree with TCR. Iron Pigs sounds like a low A team. So did my suggestion of Lehigh Valley Scrapple. But now that I think of it, Scrapple wouldnt be a bad name. It's a Pennsylvania thing, and the thing with the goofy food nickname isnt exactly unprecedented (Montgomery Biscuits)

Anyway, I gotta go with the Lehigh Valley Keystones

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

I'd rank the eight finalists selected by team management as follows:

1) Lehigh Valley Vulcans (by a wide margin over...)

2) Lehigh Valley Keystones (by a wide margin over...)

3) Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (by a mid-sized margin over...)

4) Lehigh Valley Crushers (by a wide margin over...)

5) Lehigh Valley Woodchucks (by a slim margin over...)

6) Lehigh Valley Phillies (by a wide margin over both...)

7T) Lehigh Valley Gobblers

7T) Lehigh Valley Phantastics

I live in Allentown. Almost everyone I talked to (including myself) hates most names on here. One that everyone seems to like, strangely, is Iron Pigs. As for me, I like Keystones...it's classy, and it screams baseball to me.

Pretty much, the consensus is, it'll come down to Iron Pigs, Keystones, or Phillies.

Meh, take my small sample size for what it's worth. That is, if this fan voting is legit.

I disagree TCR, why should minor league teams emulate major league teams with regard to nicknames.

Because you should emulate your superiors?

The best nicknames are the ones that tie into the area in which the team plays. Just having "professional" or generic nicknames takes away that sense of ownership.

This can be and is done in a professional manner without resorting to stupid cartoons and ugly uniforms. The San Antonio Missions have a classy identity, and they're just AA.

Iron Pigs is a fine name.

No it's not. What's the logo, a hog in a suit of armor using an axe as a bat? Lou Gehrig on a McDonald's diet? "Pig" is an insult. Nobody wants to be called a pig, even if it's of the ferric variety. It connotes laziness and gluttony. Now yeah, here's where you go "great then it's perfect for ballplayers hahaha john kruk," but I question the effectiveness of "Iron Pigs."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hope that the registering of the name LehighValleyPhillies.com is only a smoke and mirrors sort of thing. Not that sports is full of names that make sense, however being Phillies is used to define a Philadelphian, it just wouldn't make sense to call a team from Allentown the Phillies.

Perhaps it's blind hope, but I'm really liking the name Iron Pigs. I also think Keystones has a decent ring to it, and the others except Crushers (which leads me to think of some crappy professional wrestling moniker) or Phantastics (which just sucks on it so many different ways).

Crushers would conjure up memories of the old "SNK Crushers" of Baseball Stars. I can't tell you how many pencil / paper concepts I have drawn up for them and the other teams.

Archived