Tiki Barber to retire

TBGKon

So I guess the next question is does Tiki deserve a spot in Canton?

I'm leaning towards yes but I'm still on the fence.

Alright, let's take a look at Tiki's career.

The guy, at his current pace for the season, will easily end up cracking the 10,000 career rushing yards mark. Only 18 other backs have reached that milestone, most of whom are already enshrined, and the remainder of whom, with the possible exception of Ottis Anderson, probably will be eventually. Anderson took 12 seasons to reach 10,000 (two more than Tiki), and after playing two more seasons for a total of 14, still didn't end up with as many yards as Tiki will. Tiki should end up 17th all-time in rushing yards when he retires, and that's pretty damn noteworthy, considering he will have played only 10 seasons total.

I expect him to make another pro bowl appearance this season (he currently leads the league in rushing yards), for a total of three on his career, which doesn't seem like many until you consider that he's a running back, and the players he's had to contend with for a spot in the Honolulu game. He also made the All-NFL team last year, a feat he could easily repeat this season.

Even if the guy didn't win Super Bowl XXXV, he at least helped his team get there.

Ah, but here's the real kicker: at the pace he's going this season, he'll end up with 500-600 yards receiving on the year. That will put his career receiving yardage at over 5,000, making him one of (I believe) only three running backs to rush for at least 10,000 yards and receive for at least 5,000, along with Marcus Allen (who's been inducted) and Marshall Faulk (who will be).

If all of the above information doesn't convince you that Tiki Barber is going to Canton, I don't know what does.

Archived