5 reasons to HATE the Buffalo Sabers!

josh_cat_eyes

I also hate the Buffalo Sabres. Here's why:

1. They have ridiculously great scouts - the amount of young, speedy talent they have flying through this organization is absurd. Especially their european scouts. Absolutely unreal...the Rangers should take a page out of their book.

2. The 1999 Stanley Cup fiasco - I have no problem at all with Brett Hull's "illegal" goal...that rule was stupid and didn't deserve to be a rule. However, it was a rule, and when they lost, it was like no one on Buffalo's side even cared. They were so damned gracious about losing the Cup, that it made me sick.

3. They are going to be the President's Trophy Winners - and that means no home-ice advantage for the Rangers. It is also going to be hard for the Rangers to get into the Cup final, seeing as the Sabres will pretty much hand whatever team they face in the playoffs their own asses.

4. The Blue and Gold - does anyone else think the Sabres old uniforms suck? I certainly like the new ones better than the crap they wore through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Why bring that retro garbage back?

5. The Buffaslug - not because I really hate the logo. I think it's bad, but not as bad as it's made out to be. I hate it because it gives Buffalo a publicity edge, something that makes the players work harder. It also allows them to sell a TON of new merchandise that, in turn, allows them to stay in Buffalo longer than they should, continuing to beat the Rangers all the time.

And that's why I hate the Buffalo Sabres.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, given Southern Ontario's population, prosperity, and passion for hockey, combined with the challenge an average person faces trying to get tickets to a Maple Leafs game, I don't see why a franchise in that region couldn't be viable.

There's also the Sabers [sic!] and Red Wings to look after in addition to the Syrup Trees. Adding in the stranglehold the OHL has on the region, I'm not sure it would be that sure of a shot. For example, would Guleph Storm season ticket holders drop their tickets in droves in order to get season tickets for a team in London/Hamilton?

I think you're making more of the Buffalo/Detroit presence than it deserves. Why would the average person want to drive farther away, endure long, slow lines at border checkpoints, and either find a hotel or make the return trip late at night if you had an NHL team near home? I'd wager that for most Canadians outside of Windsor or the Niagara region, visits to American rinks are rare, and those trips are due less to fan loyalty than they are to the unavailability of any better option, NHL-wise. If you gave most of those people the option of attending NHL games in their own backyard, not only would they attend those games instead, but they'd probably attend more often, as well. Even discounting those regions close to Buffalo and Detroit, you're still left with a sizable chunk of Ontario's population in the southwest, and it's a prosperous region where hockey is the number one sporting concern.

You've got the OHL-NHL situation backwards, Fred - the NHL is the big dog in that fight. However, there's no reason to worry about either league detracting from the other. As entertainment, the OHL and NHL are more complimentary than they are competitive. The OHL is, in combination with the WHL and LHJMQ, the premier developmental league in the world, and the NHL is the premier professional league. Both leagues feature excellent-calibre hockey, but they're at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as ticket prices go. Junior players, except for a small weekly allowance, are unpaid, so ticket prices for OHL games are significantly cheaper than NHL ticket prices, making junior hockey a great show for a low price, while NHL hockey is a first class show, but not a cheap one. Consider one Shakespeare in the park, the other opera - it's all theater, and people will pay to see both.

There were worries here about the 67's chances for survival against the Senators, but they've proven to be unfounded. Even in a relatively small market like Ottawa, there's room for both the NHL and OHL to survive. It's not uncommon to have the NHL's Senators, the OHL's 67's, and the LHJMQ's Gatineau Olympiques all fill their buildings on the same night. In fact, NHL cities Calgary and Ottawa have both recently seen record-breaking junior attendance.

Far from being a detracting factor, the OHL's success in Southern Ontario should be viewed as an indicator of the likely success of a possible NHL franchise.

I'll buy what your saying, but I'll toss this out: would a team succeed based on a region rather than a city? Where would we put it? Hamilton (Big city, close to Toronto)? Kitchener (a bit further out, and not as connected to the Toronto MSA as Hamilton)? London (Would service the entire region, equidistant between Detroit and Toronto, and bigger than Kitchener)?

I know Canada and the NHL is different than the US and the NHL, but I'm not sold on putting a team for a region without a clear MSA to tie it to. The closest analogy I could think of would he the Carolina Hurricanes, but even then, Raleigh has a population of about 1 million and the MSA is about 1.6 million and growing.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I know Canada and the NHL is different than the US and the NHL, but I'm not sold on putting a team for a region without a clear MSA to tie it to. The closest analogy I could think of would he the Carolina Hurricanes, but even then, Raleigh has a population of about 1 million and the MSA is about 1.6 million and growing.

New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders... perhaps not what you were meaning, but about the same.

Southwestern Ontario has a substantial population spread out over several cities all within 1 - 1½ hours of each other (Hamilton - 714,000; London - 464,000; Kitchener/Waterloo 458,000; St Catherines/Niagara - 398,000; Windsor - 332,300; that's a total of 2.36 million -- not too shabby), not to mention the gigantic masses known as Toronto (5.3 million), Detroit (4 million), Buffalo (1.1 million) within 2-2½ hours away (combine all those big areas + the larger southwestern ontario cities and you got a potential market of 12.76 million hockey fans within 2½ hours of this central location)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The only potential problem I see in that is the problem I have with basing a team on a region compared to a city (make no mistake, the Devils and Isles are tied to the New York market...and the Devils still manage to struggle in the attendance department despite all of the success and the Isles are, well, the Isles) is what happens when the region's economy take a plunge, there isn't a big enough central population to keep the team afloat.

Then there's the distance thing. Do you think enough people will want to travel from say Windsor to London (100 miles) for a hockey game 41+ times in a six month period? Even Toronto (120 miles)? or Hamilton (80 miles)? We went over this when discussing an MLB team in North Carolina. The idea of putting a team in Raleigh in order to get both Raleigh and Charlotte's populations into ticket sales won't work because the distance is too far for so many games. I think that would play into the scenario unless you put the team in Mississauga or even Kitchener to get the Toronto fanbase. But if you do that, you're essentially losing SW Ontario in terms of season ticket sales because of the distances involved.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I watched the sabres beat the flyers last night 9-1 and it lead me to do this.

I was never really a big fan of the sabres but now I HATE them. Here is 5 reasons why!!

#5 The city is not very big and i would much rather see a team playing in Kansas City, Huston, Seattle, Portland or basicly any Canadian City.

You honestly think there'd be a bigger hockey fanbase in Kansas City or Houston?

#4 They have never won a Stanley Cup and IMO in order to be excepted (I think you mean "respected" there, buddy) in the hockey world that is something that you need.

#3 In 1997 when they adopted the "Goat Head" they took the wrong path. They should have done a retro Modernization ex: Calgary - 1995, Boston - 1996, Edmonton - 1997, St. Louis - 1999, L.A. Kings - 1999,

N.Y. Rangers (Alts) Even the Islanders...when they screwed up in 1996-97 they knew it and then did a retro Modernization for the 97-98/98-99 season.

So, you're saying you hate the organization as a whole based on their logo? That's just ridiculous.

#2 The unprofetionalisim they are using this season. Unprofetional Jerseys, Logos, and Team Play. The first four games of the season they had a GPG average of 3.5. The next two (games 5-6) they had a GPG average of 8. There is no need of that other than to show off...show off what? We already know they are talented because they are 5-0...well 6-0 now but other than talent what do they have? logos? NO, jerseys? NO, City...? Not overley sooo I dont know what that team is thinking but they have a serious issue going on there. I will be glad when they loose there first game!!

U-N-P-R-O-F-E-S-S-I-O-N-A-L If winning is unprofessional, then I don't want to be professional. And calling the city as a whole untalented: classy, jackass. Learn to spell before you criticize a city (which you've probably never been to) of being untalented.

#1 And finally the #1 reason to hate the sabres is basicly THE BUFFLASLUG and their lack of knowing what a "SABRE" really is. Basic Definition - Sword. Not a Buffalo, not a Slug with horns. The team is called the SABRES not the buffaloes. And besides buffaloes are not yellow nor are they blue. and they dont look like slugs with great big horns on them either. Soo even if the team was called the Buffaloes...that doesn't give them any reason to use the "Bufflaslug"

We all know the Sabres logo is hideous, we all hate the logo. To hate the team and the organization because of the emblem which represents it, is ridiculous and goes to show how poorly thought out this whole post was. I guess some people aren't happy unless they have something bitch about.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

A team in Hamilton (and honestly, that's the only place you could put a second southern Ontario team) could easily survive.

Lets take a look at the competition:

1) The Toronto Maple Leafs-The Leafs would be a Hamilton franchise's biggest hurdle when it comes to gathering a fan base. More then likely people in Hamilton would root for their home town team most of the time, but cheer for the Leafs when they play Hamilton. This could be a problem as a Hamilton team would probablly share a division with the Leafs.

Still, breaking away from the Leafs' shadow would happen. First off, I'll barrow a talking point from our friends in "non-traditional" hockey markets: it's going to take time. Once the team has been established the younger fans will take to them and perfer them over the Leafs. Also, they may even win over some excisting Leafs fans.

Tickets to a Leafs game are impossible to get. If there's a team in Hamilton Leafs fans wanting to attend NHL hockey have a cheaper and more available alternative. After a few seasons of Leafs fans going to Hamilton to catch NHL hockey, a few may even turn after becomming familiar with the Hamilton team and its players.

2) The Detroit Red Wings and Buffalo Sabres-Yes, hockey fans in southern Ontario sometimes travel to Detroit or Buffalo to catch NHL hockey, primaraly due to very elusive Leafs tickets, but that compeition wouldn't be an issue with a Hamilton team.

I had a discussion with a friend of mine about a team in Hamilton. He's a big Martin Brodeur fan, and hence a Devils fan. He was saying how he wanted to get tickets to the next Devil-Sabres game in Buffalo. He said if there was a team in Hamilton he wouldn't bother with Buffalo, he'd wait until the Devils came to Hamilton.

Crossing the border is a very annoying process, belive me. If there was an avilable alternative to Leafs hockey on this side of the line, no one would bother with the Red Wings or Sabres, except those who lived in border towns like Windsor or Niagra.

A team in Hamilton would not only survive, but it would flourish. Not to mention the rivalry with the Leafs. That would greatly benefit both teams.

I watched the sabres beat the flyers last night 9-1 and it lead me to do this.

I was never really a big fan of the sabres but now I HATE them. Here is 5 reasons why!!

#5 The city is not very big and i would much rather see a team playing in Kansas City, Huston, Seattle, Portland or basicly any Canadian City.

You honestly think there'd be a bigger hockey fanbase in Kansas City or Houston?

#4 They have never won a Stanley Cup and IMO in order to be excepted (I think you mean "respected" there, buddy) in the hockey world that is something that you need.

#3 In 1997 when they adopted the "Goat Head" they took the wrong path. They should have done a retro Modernization ex: Calgary - 1995, Boston - 1996, Edmonton - 1997, St. Louis - 1999, L.A. Kings - 1999,

N.Y. Rangers (Alts) Even the Islanders...when they screwed up in 1996-97 they knew it and then did a retro Modernization for the 97-98/98-99 season.

So, you're saying you hate the organization as a whole based on their logo? That's just ridiculous.

#2 The unprofetionalisim they are using this season. Unprofetional Jerseys, Logos, and Team Play. The first four games of the season they had a GPG average of 3.5. The next two (games 5-6) they had a GPG average of 8. There is no need of that other than to show off...show off what? We already know they are talented because they are 5-0...well 6-0 now but other than talent what do they have? logos? NO, jerseys? NO, City...? Not overley sooo I dont know what that team is thinking but they have a serious issue going on there. I will be glad when they loose there first game!!

U-N-P-R-O-F-E-S-S-I-O-N-A-L If winning is unprofessional, then I don't want to be professional. And calling the city as a whole untalented: classy, jackass. Learn to spell before you criticize a city (which you've probably never been to) of being untalented.

#1 And finally the #1 reason to hate the sabres is basicly THE BUFFLASLUG and their lack of knowing what a "SABRE" really is. Basic Definition - Sword. Not a Buffalo, not a Slug with horns. The team is called the SABRES not the buffaloes. And besides buffaloes are not yellow nor are they blue. and they dont look like slugs with great big horns on them either. Soo even if the team was called the Buffaloes...that doesn't give them any reason to use the "Bufflaslug"

We all know the Sabres logo is hideous, we all hate the logo. To hate the team and the organization because of the emblem which represents it, is ridiculous and goes to show how poorly thought out this whole post was. I guess some people aren't happy unless they have something bitch about.

OK we get it. Dude can't spell. It's really his arguments that made him the goat anyways. His spelling errors just added to it.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Oh, okay. I thought maybe it was gulf because the OHL team is the Storm. Gulf Storm. Haha.

Are they affiliated with the Florida Panthers? If so, then I understand your mistake B)

It's hard to support your reasonings for Hamilton housing a team, when you aren't even aware that junior teams don't have affiliations. <_<

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Oh, okay. I thought maybe it was gulf because the OHL team is the Storm. Gulf Storm. Haha.

Are they affiliated with the Florida Panthers? If so, then I understand your mistake B)

It's hard to support your reasonings for Hamilton housing a team, when you aren't even aware that junior teams don't have affiliations. <_<

You obviously didn't get the joke.

The only potential problem I see in that is the problem I have with basing a team on a region compared to a city (make no mistake, the Devils and Isles are tied to the New York market...and the Devils still manage to struggle in the attendance department despite all of the success and the Isles are, well, the Isles) is what happens when the region's economy take a plunge, there isn't a big enough central population to keep the team afloat.

Then there's the distance thing. Do you think enough people will want to travel from say Windsor to London (100 miles) for a hockey game 41+ times in a six month period? Even Toronto (120 miles)? or Hamilton (80 miles)? We went over this when discussing an MLB team in North Carolina. The idea of putting a team in Raleigh in order to get both Raleigh and Charlotte's populations into ticket sales won't work because the distance is too far for so many games. I think that would play into the scenario unless you put the team in Mississauga or even Kitchener to get the Toronto fanbase. But if you do that, you're essentially losing SW Ontario in terms of season ticket sales because of the distances involved.

I suppose the best location would be as close to Toronto as possible, without actually being in Toronto.

Kitchener-Waterloo or Hamilton seem like the best possibilities, to me. Build an arena on the east side of Kitchener-Waterloo, towards Guelph, and you'll probably draw people from the west side of the GTA, as well. (Halton, Peel, Brampton) Hamilton's probably the better choice, though, because it has the larger population, and despite the fact that they would also draw from the west side of the GTA, I wouldn't want to be too dependent on people frequently driving into the city on winter roads.

I suppose the best location would be as close to Toronto as possible, without actually being in Toronto.

Kitchener-Waterloo or Hamilton seem like the best possibilities, to me. Build an arena on the east side of Kitchener-Waterloo, towards Guelph, and you'll probably draw people from the west side of the GTA, as well. (Halton, Peel, Brampton) Hamilton's probably the better choice, though, because it has the larger population, and despite the fact that they would also draw from the west side of the GTA, I wouldn't want to be too dependent on people frequently driving into the city on winter roads.

Agreed there on all counts. But sticking a team in Hamilton wouldn't be creating the generic "southern Ontario" team originally envisioned, but I agree it would work in Hamilton.

Agreed there on all counts. But sticking a team in Hamilton wouldn't be creating the generic "southern Ontario" team originally envisioned, but I agree it would work in Hamilton.

Hey, from where I'm sitting, everything west of Toronto is "Southwestern Ontario". :D

The Sabres were very profetional tonight- the score was only 4-1.

Drury's goal was absolutly beautiful...I'm not a Sabres fan by any means, but he picked that corner like noone's buisness

For those unfamiliar with Noone's business, here's what he looks like picking.

Peter_Noone.jpg

Drury's goal most have been something good.

The Sabres were very profetional tonight- the score was only 4-1.

Drury's goal was absolutly beautiful...I'm not a Sabres fan by any means, but he picked that corner like noone's buisness

For those unfamiliar with Noone's business, here's what he looks like picking.

Peter_Noone.jpg

Drury's goal most have been something good.

I hope it was, because something tells me I'm into something good.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 4 weeks later...

so joshie...explain to me how almost every single home game is sold out, and the ones that aren't only have single seats avaliable? yeah...im sure that'd happen in houston. there's absolutely no fan base in buffalo...

Archived