U. of Wisc. stomps on Iowa HS W

cranium

Link to any of the High School Helmet Projects out there and you will see THOUSANDS of high schools that use other teams/schools logos. If Wisconsin wants to pick on one of them, what about the others? Either hit them all (which is really low on their part) or leave them alone! They're not exactly cashing in on the use of their logo.

Since some of you are "local" to this issue I thought I would post the logo for Urbandale J-Hawks, another Des Moines area high school that appears to have an inspired logo:

jhawkcountry.jpg

That's just the athletics logo. I recently saw them on TV and they trotted out a blue helmet with a red and white version of Miami of Florida's 'U' logo.

Southeast Polk, another school in the Des Moines area, uses the current St. Louis Rams logo on their helmets as well.

My HS uses the Philly Eagles logo, but recolored.

from about 97 to 03, my school's football team also used some form of Philly's eagle on either the jersey or helmet; and from our first team back in the late 60s to 98, we used Philly's eagle wings (shoot, the original helmets were almost identical to the Eagles' 69 helmets). the only other team in the school that I recall using the same eagle was the girls' tennis team (their version was solid green with a gold beak...and a very slight modification of it is now our main athletic logo)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm sorry, but the Waukee logo is quite far from a knockoff of the Wisconsin W. Sure they said they used it, but it's not the exact same thing.

NOW then these are the logos for my alma mater's athletic program...

WL%20REDO%20copy.jpg

viking.gif

What's your thoughts on these? :rolleyes:

I'm also a grad of this high school...the Athletic Director told me once that Wisconsin complains to him every year during the state football playoffs (since the color version of the "WL" is used on our team's helmets and we've made it to the finals in Madison the last few years). He said there is some sort of law that states that you can use someone else's logo as long as the original logo is changed by 33% or something weird like that. He said we've always been covered because we add the "L" and change the colors and that's enough of a change. I don't know if that law only applies in Wisconsin or whatever, but I think what UW is doing is pretty bogus. There are high schools in the state that don't make any changes at all to the W (West Bend West and Waupun come to mind) and they haven't been forced to change.

People ask why pick on this school and not another. We don't know under what agreement these other schools are operating under. Wisconsin is doing what it must. I think this is a good thing anyway. First off, schools should encourage their students to create something unique. Second, this is an opportunity for sports equipment suppliers to create marks to license. Third, it creates jobs for budding logo artists on this board.

And if none of what I've posted is done, then the traditionalists who think Penn State has a perfect uniform will get their wish -- hundreds of schools looking just like them.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I don't see what the big deal is. If you look at the side where the comparison is, the logo isn't even the same. I can probably find at least 200 schools in the country that use the same exact logo and their telling them to get rid of a similar logo. If it was the same I could understand but I think the school should fight this case.

yankees-1.png

Archived