NFL Blackout Policy

Sproullie03

Just to stir the pot a little:

Imagine this scenario: Chiefs vs. Raiders. Raiders kick off to start the overtime, Hall takes the kickoff and is streaking down the sideline for a sure touchdown. Suddenly, one of the Raiders comes off the sideline and clobbers Hall at the 20.

The ruling - and it happened in the 1951 Cotton Bowl, when Tommy Lewis tackled Dicky Moegle - is that it is a "palpably unfair act" and the officials can award a touchdown. Can you imagine that - nobody scores and yet the game is over? You'd hear about that one for YEARS.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

It is absurd and insulting to blackout games in publicly funded stadiums, sold out or not.

Totally agree. The original logic behind blacking out games was to sell additional tickets. But in a day where the NFL game experience runs at least $100 a pop and most bars have satellite TV, that logic is ridiculous. In the last 10 years, has anyone ever gone to a game they were planning on watching on TV because it was blacked out?

Also, Bills2005, why should the NFL overtime rule be like the NCAA? The NCAA's rule is less fair (defense first has a HUGE advantage), leads to longer games, eliminates the importance of special teams, and skews statistics. All logic indicates that, despite providing for equal posessions, it's a far worse system.

Each team has a equal chance to win. Unlike the NFL the reciving team just has to get to the 40 yard line and has a chance to win. Yes, the team who starts on defense first has an advantage but it is not as big of an advantage as the NFL. Each team gets a possession. The coin flip does not determine the game if not the season. I would make it like the NCAA but a little different. Start at the 50 not the 25. Have a 2 min game time limit (not real time) on each possession. Give each team 2 time outs a possession, and you have a much better system.

And to your point on if I ever went to a game because it was blacked out. Yes, I have. I didn't buy the tickets but my uncle got tickets, I planned on not going because it was against Arizona, It was supposed to be cold and rain, and I had a report to write. I was going to watch the game on TV and write my essay. When I saw it was not sold out I called my uncle and asked if he still had the tix. He did so we went. I did not buy the tix because it is was blacked out, But it gave them $30 extra or soon food and drinks. So it gives them some business. I bet many people go to games if they are not on TV.

saBS.png

It is absurd and insulting to blackout games in publicly funded stadiums, sold out or not.

Totally agree. The original logic behind blacking out games was to sell additional tickets. But in a day where the NFL game experience runs at least $100 a pop and most bars have satellite TV, that logic is ridiculous. In the last 10 years, has anyone ever gone to a game they were planning on watching on TV because it was blacked out?

Also, Bills2005, why should the NFL overtime rule be like the NCAA? The NCAA's rule is less fair (defense first has a HUGE advantage), leads to longer games, eliminates the importance of special teams, and skews statistics. All logic indicates that, despite providing for equal posessions, it's a far worse system.

Each team has a equal chance to win. Unlike the NFL the reciving team just has to get to the 40 yard line and has a chance to win. Yes, the team who starts on defense first has an advantage but it is not as big of an advantage as the NFL. Each team gets a possession. The coin flip does not determine the game if not the season. I would make it like the NCAA but a little different. Start at the 50 not the 25. Have a 2 min game time limit (not real time) on each possession. Give each team 2 time outs a possession, and you have a much better system.

And to your point on if I ever went to a game because it was blacked out. Yes, I have. I didn't buy the tickets but my uncle got tickets, I planned on not going because it was against Arizona, It was supposed to be cold and rain, and I had a report to write. I was going to watch the game on TV and write my essay. When I saw it was not sold out I called my uncle and asked if he still had the tix. He did so we went. I did not buy the tix because it is was blacked out, But it gave them $30 extra or soon food and drinks. So it gives them some business. I bet many people go to games if they are not on TV.

This is off topic now but if your team makes a tackle then the other team doesn't get to the 40 yard line (they actually have to get closer than that for a realistic field goal attempt not a 50 somehting yarder). Also you can score on defense by returning a interception or fumble for a touchdown (btoh those a defense can cause) or getting a safety. My question is why is it unfair that your teams defense sucks and could get a stand in Overtime. If a team losses on the first possesion in overtime they have no one but themselves to blame.

Archived