Mistakes in Logo Facts

goforbroke

Random Logos Fact

Oakland Oaks

(1968 - 1969)

My husband and I belong to a MODEL A car club and this is exactly the logo our club uses.the club name Acorn A's...When I was a child I remember going to the Oakland Oaks in Emeryville....

Fact submitted by Larry & Katherine Lund

what the :censored: does this have to do with a logo fact

the thing i said about the devils is true but this is crazy

I think you may be reading to much into the Devils logo. Yes, you can see a lower case "d", but like the "M" in the Mets' "NY" I think you're looking at something that's just there by chance and was never intended.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of my favorites.

Based in Kentucky, home to the world famous Kentucky derby horse race, team ownership decided to use "Men O' War" as a tribute to "Man O' War", a horse which won the Kentucky derby on many occasions. An image of a Norse warrior was thought to give the team a tough image. The Lexington Men O' War folded after one season in the ECHL.

Fact submitted by Christian Tobin

OK...Man O' War was never in the Kentucky Derby. Second you can only win it once since it is a race for 3 year olds. That is what Derby means. Now I do believe it was a tribute to Man O' War as he was foaled in Lexington, Ky.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

This isn't a mistake really. But were is there a logo fact. The logo didn't help them to the NBA Finals game.

This logo helped gain worldwide notoriety for the Jazz. They won 2 consecutive NBA Western Conference titles in 1997 & 1998, making the NBA Finals both years. Unfortuantely, they didn't win the NBA Championship, losing to the Chicago Bulls both years.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Philadelphia Eagles

(1996 - Pres)

There is an upside-down thunderbolt on the top of the eagle's head.

Fact submitted by Bleujayone

and you saying my logo facts are just guesses

Did you even LOOK at the logo before posting this?

And yes the thunderbolt in the feathers is intentional as it was mentioned the day they introduced it and the new uniforms. It was put in the logo to subtly suggest speed. Sorry I don't have the article to prove it- it was a decade ago after all.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Ottawa 67s

(1999 - Pres)

Actually, the "67" refers to the year in which Ottawa joined the Ontario Hockey League. Coincidentally, 1967 was also the 100th anniversary the founding of Canada.

Fact submitted by Peter Wilson

I find this one hard to believe...

Oakland Oaks

(1968 - 1969)

My husband and I belong to a MODEL A car club and this is exactly the logo our club uses.the club name Acorn A's...When I was a child I remember going to the Oakland Oaks in Emeryville....

Fact submitted by Larry & Katherine Lund

what the does this have to do with a logo fact

I think you may be reading to much into the Devils logo. Yes, you can see a lower case "d", but like the "M" in the Mets' "NY" I think you're looking at something that's just there by chance and was never intended.

i didnt post anything on the mets i olny posted the fact about the devils

ATL

Ottawa 67s

(1999 - Pres)

Actually, the "67" refers to the year in which Ottawa joined the Ontario Hockey League. Coincidentally, 1967 was also the 100th anniversary the founding of Canada.

Fact submitted by Peter Wilson

I find this one hard to believe...

The Dominion of Canada (known as the Confederation) was formed on 1 July 1867 through the enactment of the British North America Act, and is considered to be the Birthday of modern-day Canada.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

"Clipper ship in red lines- dashboard of boat veryt visible above word Clippers"

-Andrew, October 18, 2006

I'm pretty sure the Clippers logo is nothing more then a Lakers rip-off; just a basketball, motion lines, and the team wordmark. I don't see anything in there resembling a clipper.

what the does this have to do with a logo fact

i didnt post anything on the mets i olny posted the fact about the devils

He was saying that that logo fact was similar to the one about the M in NY, not that you said anything about it.

^What he said.

The lowercase "d" in the NJ Devils logo is just there by chance. It wasn't intended to be there.

Bear fans claim Papa Halas designed the C on the Bears helmets but it was, in fact, used first by the University of Chicago's football team.

And they're still using it:

It's clear from this photo:

fb-coach-maloney-2.jpg

the football team is, at least, still using the Bears wishbone "C," however, the rest of the University appears to be using a more traditional wishbone "C:"

facts-feats.gif

I'll get folks telling me all the time that so-and-so school uses the Bears "C." Then I point out how it is different that that schools, with the top higher than the bottom... Most have never noticed that, and just assumed all wishbone "C's" are alike.

As far as when Chicago started up football again, they've had it since 1969... It only went away for about 35 years. You can find the entire U of Chicago Athletic Department history, here.

Moose

The current St. Louis Rams logo might have been based off the old Rams logo, which was an old ram head, which might have been remade as a sleeker, newer logo.

Fact submitted by Ka-Ris

How is this a fact? Might??

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

This is getting embarrassing. On the front page of the site today we have this little gem (for the XFL logo):

This was a marketing ploy football and wrestling got together and tried to make a football league. It only lasted one year though

The XFL was not a marketing ploy. It was a business. Yes, marketing was an integral part, but no more so than any other business. It wasn't created to draw attention to the WWE but to make the WWE money.

Second, "football" didn't "get together" with anybody. The XFL was not a joint venture with any existing football organization, much less the NFL (which is the clear inference). It was a joint commercial venture between the WWE and NBC.

Barry did get the "one year" reference right, though. But that's about it.

Come on, we either have to subject these submissions to more scrutiny or scrap the program altogether. It was a great idea, but some of the results are shocking.

• 1 month later...

I've written Chris at least two times on this. The font used on the Leafs' 1967 logo (Stanley Cup) is WRONG!!!!! The logo shown uses the font from what is now the Leafs' alternate logo. The correct font for the '67 Cup logo that was used through 1969-70 has a more rounded font with the "M" and "N" letters resembling the printed style we used in grammar school before we learned to write in longhand (that's CURSIVE to you Gen-Xers). When I see such an obvious mistake on a logo like the Leafs, and from someone who is closely aligned to the Blue & White, well, it makes me look at everything you present with a wee bit of aprehension.

As far as when Chicago started up football again, they've had it since 1969... It only went away for about 35 years.

There's hope for University of Wisconsin baseball, yet!

Of course... Milwaukee is the only D1 school in the state that has baseball and we all know how UW feels about Milwaukee having things that they don't. :cursing:

One of the reasons I transferred is because I realized how much of a slave Milwaukee (and the rest of the UW schools) are to Madison. Milwaukee tried to get an Africology doctoral program and needed approval from all the other UW schools to do so. But one school decided to vote against it... care to guess who that one school was? (So much for Madison being a liberal and open-minded oasis...)

But yea... the least they could do is let Milwaukee have the one f***in' D1 baseball team in Wisconsin. Especially since they don't have a football team thanks to UW.

Come on, we either have to subject these submissions to more scrutiny or scrap the program altogether. It was a great idea, but some of the results are shocking.

After seeing some of the crap posted in this thread, I think maybe I need to start taking it personally that none of my submissions have ever been posted :D

brew.png

Archived