Top 10 NFL Logos

plamenj

I would have the Saints in the top 10 and get rid of the horrible Falcons logo

Amen, and it's not just because I hate the Falcons more than Bill Gates hates Apple. The new bird looks like it's stumbling drunk. The old one was so much nicer.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams with good logos and helmets: Lions, Saints, Eagles, Cowboys, Seahawks, Bucs, Colts, Steelers, Dolphins, Redskins.

Teams with weak logos that still manage to translate into cool helmets: Chargers, 49ers, Packers, Vikings, Giants, Jets, Raiders, Rams, Bears, Texans

Teams that need help: Falcons, Ravens, Bills, Panthers, Broncos, Jaguars, Chiefs, Patriots, Titans, Cardinals

Teams whose helmets are cool in a way, yet lead to the horrible fashion faux pas of having large men in animal skin prints: Bengals

Teams who don't have a logo: Browns

I've never understood the hype for the Bucs' identity. I think the pirate ship and flag logos look too cartoony for football, the wordmark is jagged and gimmicky in a way that makes it look more suited to the arena league, and pewter might be one of the worst colors for sweaty-assed football players. Is it just because the old look had such an awful taste from all that losing that anything could be an improvement? It's a bad relic of the cartoony 90s not unlike the Panthers and Jaguars, who really just need better wordmarks; the rest is fine.

That Bengals "B" is a joke.

The problem I've always had with the Giants' "ny" logo is that the team is called the GIANTS! They could at least use capital letters.

Well that logo is also about 60 years old. Back then many teams used lower case lettering in their designs. Most have just updated since.

I completely disagree with most of the designer's (and voters) choices. They are missing simplistic (yet classic) designs such as the KC Chiefs (one of the best logos in the league) and the 49ers (even though the readers voted them low). The newest logoest aren't always the best.

Actually, when a couple of years ago Johnnie Walker scotch whiskey revamped their logo, they changed the direction Johnnie is walking - the brand consultancy flipped the left facing figure so that he now goes right and thus symbolizes forward movement*.

*the consultancy said

John Deere did something similar to that too. They went from a 'landing deer':

D670John-Deere-56-Logo-Posters.jpg

to a jumping deer:

John-Deere-Logo.gif

ucnu112sig.png

Actually, when a couple of years ago Johnnie Walker scotch whiskey revamped their logo, they changed the direction Johnnie is walking - the brand consultancy flipped the left facing figure so that he now goes right and thus symbolizes forward movement*.

*the consultancy said

John Deere did something similar to that too. They went from a 'landing deer':

D670John-Deere-56-Logo-Posters.jpg

to a jumping deer:

John-Deere-Logo.gif

Most people would think that is such a little thing to worry about, but so much thought is now put into that kind of stuff in design that its unbelievable. The NHL changed the direction of their letters from diagonal down to the right to diagonal up to the right for that same reason.

I've never understood the hype for the Bucs' identity. I think the pirate ship and flag logos look too cartoony for football, the wordmark is jagged and gimmicky in a way that makes it look more suited to the arena league, and pewter might be one of the worst colors for sweaty-assed football players. Is it just because the old look had such an awful taste from all that losing that anything could be an improvement? It's a bad relic of the cartoony 90s not unlike the Panthers and Jaguars, who really just need better wordmarks; the rest is fine.

O so you say?

Well...ok. Let me see can I help you out, my friend.

First of all, the "cartoony" element. There are WORSE offenders of that in the NFL (PRIME example: St. Louis Rams, which doesn't look even REMOTELY fierce). And I can can tell you front up that about two YEARS of planning went into their re-branding. One of their first ideas was to simply add black to the red and orange (if you look hard enough on the internet, there's an altered version floating around of an "updated" Bucco Bruce floating around with black trim, black hat, black eye patch, and a parrot on his shoulder--I can't find my example anywhere). That idea ain't fly too well, so they delved deeper into the "pirate" aspect of it--how to make them look fierce, intimidating, bold and scary. Well...what does one think of when they see a dark grey like that? STORMY. Appropriate, since the Tampa Bay area IS the lightning strike capital of the world (which is also how the Lightning hockey team got its name). Now when one thinks "pirate", more often than not two colors come to mind: black and red. Red is also the color of blood, which is something else often associated with a pirate.

Now, to the flag logo. Most people who know anything about battles know that most forts (or strongholds) were often marked with red flags (well, back in the old, old days). The skull & crossbones is another well-known association with pirates. So are swords. So whoever it was that thought up the idea to replace the flagpole with a sabre and the crossbones with cross-cutlasses was an absolute genius--especially since crossed swords are also a well-known iconic symbol of swordsmen (note the crossed sabres of the Virginia Cavaliers). Adding the orange football in there was just icing on the cake--and a perfect way to keep the "iconic" color of the Buccaneers in the fols some kind of way. The way the flag is designed is to show it waving in the wind, depicted as being "ripped", and against that pewter background, it looks as if that flag is waving in a storm, and on that helmet, it can be seen as waving through the storm. So, to wrap all that up, whereas Bucco Bruce, in all his orange glory, was seen more as a "gentleman" type of pirate, this new identity, the "pirate" is more of an action logo, and just looking at it gives one a sense of motion, of action, of...the Buccaneers.

As to the wordmark and choice of font, it makes sense to me, too. Again, it's more of an "action" type font as opposed to the old one, which looked more "cavalier" to me, and probably a lot of other people, too. The sharp edges and swooping curves all match up nicely with the pirate flag, in my opinion. Sharp, just like the tips of those swords. Swooping, just like the motion of the flag. All around, it's more active and more intimidating than in the past. And much, much bolder too. And I really can't think of any other branding package in the league that better fits its team than this one and the Buccaneers.

Now, having said all that, I do agree that those pants collect more sweat than anything I've seen seems like. But I think that's more because of the material they're made out of. (That'd be my guess.) And you gotta admit, that bold, bright red looks good against that stormy pewter. (One more thing I might add to that: for anyone who's ever cut themselves, ever noticed how sometimes the blood is bright and sometimes it's dark? Well, oxygenated blood--the blood that leaves the heart--is the bright vermillion color and travels via the ARTERIES throughout the body; deoxygenated blood--blood that's already been used by the body--is the darker red and travels via the VEINS back to the heart for more oxygen. Anyone in the know about this knows that arterial bleeding will kill you faster than a busted vein. That's why when comics and the Mortal Kombat people always go with the brighter red--when the bright red oozes...if it ain't stopped soon, you dead. I don't doubt some part of that went through the minds of the people who developed this branding package.)

Okay...that about does it for me and this commentary on the Buccaneers branding package...with a little bit of a bonus lesson in human anatomy thrown in.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

O so you say?

First of all, the "cartoony" element. There are WORSE offenders of that in the NFL (PRIME example: St. Louis Rams, which doesn't look even REMOTELY fierce). And I can can tell you front up that about two YEARS of planning went into their re-branding. One of their first ideas was to simply add black to the red and orange (if you look hard enough on the internet, there's an altered version floating around of an "updated" Bucco Bruce floating around with black trim, black hat, black eye patch, and a parrot on his shoulder--I can't find my example anywhere). That idea ain't fly too well, so they delved deeper into the "pirate" aspect of it--how to make them look fierce, intimidating, bold and scary. Well...what does one think of when they see a dark grey like that? STORMY. Appropriate, since the Tampa Bay area IS the lightning strike capital of the world (which is also how the Lightning hockey team got its name). Now when one thinks "pirate", more often than not two colors come to mind: black and red. Red is also the color of blood, which is something else often associated with a pirate.

Now, to the flag logo. Most people who know anything about battles know that most forts (or strongholds) were often marked with red flags (well, back in the old, old days). The skull & crossbones is another well-known association with pirates. So are swords. So whoever it was that thought up the idea to replace the flagpole with a sabre and the crossbones with cross-cutlasses was an absolute genius--especially since crossed swords are also a well-known iconic symbol of swordsmen (note the crossed sabres of the Virginia Cavaliers). Adding the orange football in there was just icing on the cake--and a perfect way to keep the "iconic" color of the Buccaneers in the fols some kind of way. The way the flag is designed is to show it waving in the wind, depicted as being "ripped", and against that pewter background, it looks as if that flag is waving in a storm, and on that helmet, it can be seen as waving through the storm. So, to wrap all that up, whereas Bucco Bruce, in all his orange glory, was seen more as a "gentleman" type of pirate, this new identity, the "pirate" is more of an action logo, and just looking at it gives one a sense of motion, of action, of...the Buccaneers.

As to the wordmark and choice of font, it makes sense to me, too. Again, it's more of an "action" type font as opposed to the old one, which looked more "cavalier" to me, and probably a lot of other people, too. The sharp edges and swooping curves all match up nicely with the pirate flag, in my opinion. Sharp, just like the tips of those swords. Swooping, just like the motion of the flag. All around, it's more active and more intimidating than in the past. And much, much bolder too. And I really can't think of any other branding package in the league that better fits its team than this one and the Buccaneers.

Now, having said all that, I do agree that those pants collect more sweat than anything I've seen seems like. But I think that's more because of the material they're made out of. (That'd be my guess.) And you gotta admit, that bold, bright red looks good against that stormy pewter. (One more thing I might add to that: for anyone who's ever cut themselves, ever noticed how sometimes the blood is bright and sometimes it's dark? Well, oxygenated blood--the blood that leaves the heart--is the bright vermillion color and travels via the ARTERIES throughout the body; deoxygenated blood--blood that's already been used by the body--is the darker red and travels via the VEINS back to the heart for more oxygen. Anyone in the know about this knows that arterial bleeding will kill you faster than a busted vein. That's why when comics and the Mortal Kombat people always go with the brighter red--when the bright red oozes...if it ain't stopped soon, you dead. I don't doubt some part of that went through the minds of the people who developed this branding package.)

Okay...that about does it for me and this commentary on the Buccaneers branding package...with a little bit of a bonus lesson in human anatomy thrown in.

Let me paraphrase for those with no attention span....

Bucs logo = Excellence

I also agree

^_^

O so you say?

So how do you really feel about the Bucs' look? :P

You make some valid points but this element is weak and needs to go. It's so small on the sleeves that most people have no idea what it is or is supposed to be.

bucanlogo.jpg

O so you say?

So how do you really feel about the Bucs' look? :P

You make some valid points but this element is weak and needs to go. It's so small on the sleeves that most people have no idea what it is or is supposed to be.

bucanlogo.jpg

I actually really like that logo. I even heard that somewhere in the early design stage they thought about that logo on the helmets. I still like what they eventually chose but the ship logo is tight!!!!

Tell that to the little bird on the Seahawks sleeves.

In other news, that ship logo is a nice alternate logo--a TRUE alternate logo. Not many NFL teams have one--or one that they actually use anyway. Plus, it's also a nice little nod to Buccaneer Cove at RJ Stadium. Pirates traveled and invaded in ships, so it makes perfect sense to me to have that ship logo. But hey...everyone's entitled to their opinions on this stuff. No ill will.

By the way, Mr. skyaa1 (American Airlines, no???), 5 November, it's ON! Daggone Reggie Bush...time for my boys to get some REVENGE!

(One CAN hope, can't he? Or maybe I ain't come down off that 62-yd high yet...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Agreed. As a Seahawks fan, the element of the new uniforms that I just can't stomach is the loss of the large, wrap-around logo on the jersey sleeves. Unforgivable.

In other news, that ship logo is a nice alternate logo--a TRUE alternate logo. Not many NFL teams have one--or one that they actually use anyway. Plus, it's also a nice little nod to Buccaneer Cove at RJ Stadium. Pirates traveled and invaded in ships, so it makes perfect sense to me to have that ship logo. But hey...everyone's entitled to their opinions on this stuff. No ill will.

By the way, Mr. skyaa1 (American Airlines, no???), 5 November, it's ON! Daggone Reggie Bush...time for my boys to get some REVENGE!

(One CAN hope, can't he? Or maybe I ain't come down off that 62-yd high yet...)

Couldn't agree more about Seattle's bird (Helmet to sleeve: "I will call you...mini-me."). As for Nov 5, that should be a real showdown. Sadly, I have to work so I'll be Tivo'ing it off DirecTV but I always follow along on nfl.com too.

There's something hilarious on the ground level tape/film of Reggie's punt return. If you have it, take a look on the Bucs' sideline. As Reggie turns the corner, a guy (#91 I think) slams both his hands to his helmet like he's saying "DOH!"

And yes, I worked for American Airlines for 14 years.

Some thoughts on what makes a good logo and what makes a bad logo in the NFL (or college football):

If the logo is separate from what's on the helmet, that's generally good. An exception, of course, is the Bengals' B.

If the logo has a mean look on its face, it's generally good.

If the logo is just of a football helmet, it's bad.

If the logo is unique lettering, it's good. If the logo is plain old lettering, it's bad.

If the logo is cluttered, it's HORRIBLE.

Archived