Both teams in colored uniforms

bigwalk

I agree, this is obviously Illinois' fault. By the way, since when was orange a "light" color? Basketball teams often wear yellow or gold in the place of a white uni, but orange?? It is especially bad in the Big Ten, when IU, Wisconsin, and Ohio State all wear red on the road in Champaign.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, this is obviously Illinois' fault. By the way, since when was orange a "light" color? Basketball teams often wear yellow or gold in the place of a white uni, but orange?? It is especially bad in the Big Ten, when IU, Wisconsin, and Ohio State all wear red on the road in Champaign.

aunoonan, orange can be, if it's light enough, like Tennessee. But Illini, Syracuse or Florida orange is far too red-tinged to get away with it. I know Tennessee wore orange home and away in the '60's, which was fine for dark reds like Alabama. I'd like to know if they did the same vs. say, Georgia.

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

I remember watching that U of I v. Wisc. game at a bar in Champaign. It was ridiculous. But sort of fun in a weird way. I can't remember how many times we thought some guy was shooting at the wrong basket on a rebound.

Oh, and OF COURSE the guy from Madison blames Illinois for the situation. Maybe Wisconsin should have been more prepared, huh?

Why wouldn't you blame Illinois for the situation? Is it incumbent on the road team to bring home, road and alternate uniforms on every road trip to bend to the whim of the home team? The only exception is if Illinois informed Wiscosin ahead of time that they planned on wearing orange. If that was the case, then Wisconsin should have brought their normal home uniforms (or come up with an alternate black one - not that I'm advocating any more black alternates). That is why the NFL sets the uniform schedule up ahead of time and forces the teams to stick to their schedule, like Kansas City wearing white in Week 1 this year even though the heat wave broke 2-3 days prior to the game.

I thought I had heard that Illionis wanted to wear the orange becasue they did so well in orange but did not tell Wisconsin because Wisconsin did so well in the whites (which is about being at home, not about the whites). I can't confirm it, but if it is so, it is stupid. Either wear the whites or let UW do so.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I remember watching that U of I v. Wisc. game at a bar in Champaign. It was ridiculous. But sort of fun in a weird way. I can't remember how many times we thought some guy was shooting at the wrong basket on a rebound.

Oh, and OF COURSE the guy from Madison blames Illinois for the situation. Maybe Wisconsin should have been more prepared, huh?

Why wouldn't you blame Illinois for the situation? Is it incumbent on the road team to bring home, road and alternate uniforms on every road trip to bend to the whim of the home team? The only exception is if Illinois informed Wiscosin ahead of time that they planned on wearing orange. If that was the case, then Wisconsin should have brought their normal home uniforms (or come up with an alternate black one - not that I'm advocating any more black alternates). That is why the NFL sets the uniform schedule up ahead of time and forces the teams to stick to their schedule, like Kansas City wearing white in Week 1 this year even though the heat wave broke 2-3 days prior to the game.

I thought I had heard that Illionis wanted to wear the orange becasue they did so well in orange but did not tell Wisconsin because Wisconsin did so well in the whites (which is about being at home, not about the whites). I can't confirm it, but if it is so, it is stupid. Either wear the whites or let UW do so.

Yep. It was my junior year at U of I. The game before, they thrashed Michigan State on "Paint the Hall Orange" night. Of course, the orange jerseys were easily distinguished from MSU's green. Illinois did so well in orange that the players wanted to wear the orange jerseys again, but they couldn't figure out how to do it. Weber considered telling Wisconsin to bring their white unis, but decided against it because they played so well in them (at home). Illinois even considered wearing orange jerseys with white shorts. :o In the end, they decided that the orange was different enough from the red to pull it off. They were wrong, and hilarity insued.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Gopher basketball team often wears gold at home. I think Michigan and Iowa do this less frequently.

I forgot when, but I could have sworn I saw highlights of a game between the San Francisco Giants and (I think) the Colorado Rockies, and BOTH teams wore black. It was back when the Giants were relevant, and the game was played at whatever SF's park is called now, so it had to be between 1999 and 2002.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

The Gopher basketball team often wears gold at home. I think Michigan and Iowa do this less frequently.

I forgot when, but I could have sworn I saw highlights of a game between the San Francisco Giants and (I think) the Colorado Rockies, and BOTH teams wore black. It was back when the Giants were relevant, and the game was played at whatever SF's park is called now, so it had to be between 1999 and 2002.

Colorado didn't have black jerseys until 2005.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't have the pic to back it up, but in the World League (escuse me, WLAF) one year (not that that matters...), in the game between NY/NJ Knights and the Orlando Thunder at NY (really the NJ Meadowlands), the Knights were in their away black jersey w/silver pants and Orlando had their Lime Green Jello tops with white pants. There was absolutely no mistaking whose team you were on that fateful day......

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Yeah, what Old Roman said happened is what happened. I was being facetious. Quite obviously, if you tell someone you're wearing white and you don't, then it's your fault. That was MY junior year at U of I, too. But since it was about 7 thousand other people's, I doubt I know you.

Colorado didn't have black jerseys until 2005.

likely, Firearm must be referring to the Rocks' purples, for as is common knowledge the Giants ditched the black alts long before Colorado had black gamers.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I doubt anyone agrees with me, but i HATE white jerseys. They should only be used when two teams have similar colors

For example: Chiefs vs. Patriots: Chiefs in red/red/white, Pats in silver/blue/silver

Chiefs vs. Cardinals: Chiefs in red/red/white, Cards in white/white/red

Why do they use white jerseys if two team's colors dont conflict at all?

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

I know the University of Illionis basketball has worn their orange alternate uniforms at home of frequent occassions while the visiting team comes in wearing their colored road uniforms. Its ok unless the other team wears a varient of red when it gets confusing.

Don't quote me on this, but I swear in a pre-season game around the time of both teams modifying their unis, the Bucs wore red and the Ravens wore purple. I'm going to investigate this more.

Edit: Don't know what brain cells I destroyed, but according to the Raven's website, they've never played TB in pre-season.

UCLA and USC used to each wear their colored jerseys when they played each other.

Man oh man I really do miss those Patriots Red Unis, Please oh please Mr. Kraft, bring those back, maybe just for home games, I love those unis. Here to Old Pat Patriot

I doubt anyone agrees with me, but i HATE white jerseys. They should only be used when two teams have similar colors

For example: Chiefs vs. Patriots: Chiefs in red/red/white, Pats in silver/blue/silver

Because when you're playing at game speed, it's a lot easier to distinguish between white and some color in a flash than it is to distinguish one color from another. It's why most predators see in black and white.

Of course, this logic is muddled when a team like Georgia Tech wears extremely light gold against a white-jerseyed team. Maybe that's why Reggie Ball can't complete 50% of his passes.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Because when you're playing at game speed, it's a lot easier to distinguish between white and some color in a flash than it is to distinguish one color from another. It's why most predators see in black and white.

Of course, this logic is muddled when a team like Georgia Tech wears extremely light gold against a white-jerseyed team. Maybe that's why Reggie Ball can't complete 50% of his passes.

Good point about predators seeing in black and white. I know the NFL mandated that all teams had to have a white jersey in 1957 because it was hard to tell teams apart on those old B&W TVs. Up until that year, the Rams only had a yellow jersey.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• 4 weeks later...

Archived