Early unveiling of logos

whitedawg22

Their right to profit exists because they own the trademark. They have the legal right to profit from it (and for those owned by public companies, the legal obligation to profit from it).

You have no legal right "to not get ripped off". If you don't follow the news releases that a club will be unveiling a new logo, if you don't ask the salesperson why the Diamondbacks jerseys are on clearance, then you didn't get "ripped off."

Perhaps you are legally correct, but still, I do not give a crap. Let them do a better job of protecting the information. What, do you represent big business or something? I think my take best represents that of the "average consumer". The general public really could care less if a company's logo unveling doesn;t go exactly as planned.

The CD comparison is interesting... and valid. CDs get released on Tuesdays, but years ago in my hometown, a mom-and-pop record store couldn't compete with Best Buy/Wal-Mart whatever. He sold the CDs for 13-14 bucks and they'd drop 'em to 10. BUT, shipments arrived on Saturday but were to be sold on Tuesdays. The guy started selling them as soon as he got them, word spread and people started showing up on Saturdays for the new music and had it a few days early (wow, the things that seemed important in high school...)

Now, the CDs were there, the store was selling them and I bought them. Does that make me a criminal? I say no. The store owner was at fault. The average consumer probably doesn't know the specific release dates... just as they don't for logos. Therefore, I say again that there's nothing wrong with us *looking* at leaked stuff here.

And as an aside... that owner turned the record store into a martini bar and seems to be doing just fine.

Their right to profit exists because they own the trademark. They have the legal right to profit from it (and for those owned by public companies, the legal obligation to profit from it).

You have no legal right "to not get ripped off". If you don't follow the news releases that a club will be unveiling a new logo, if you don't ask the salesperson why the Diamondbacks jerseys are on clearance, then you didn't get "ripped off."

Perhaps you are legally correct, but still, I do not give a crap. Let them do a better job of protecting the information.

They do protect the information. They require people with a legitimate reason to have the logos befor unveileing to sign contracts with confidentiality clauses in them. People being people, some will fail to honor the contract, so the companies must go after anyone who posts such information. That is them protecting it. You cannot then complain about it.

What, do you represent big business or something?

Nope, I'm just amused at watching selfishness and impatience dressed up in some bizarre defense of "the little guy."

I think my take best represents that of the "average consumer". The general public really could care less if a company's logo unveling doesn;t go exactly as planned.

So what? Law and ethics are not decided by democratic vote. The issue here isn't what the general public thinks about the issue - they think we're all geeks just for being here....

What, do you represent big business or something?

Nope, I'm just amused at watching selfishness and impatience dressed up in some bizarre defense of "the little guy."

Maybe so, but nobody likes people on the Internet who act all high and mighty about leaks and file sharing and all of that. It's just bizarre. It's like showing up to a party and yelling at people for drinking.

Personally I have no problem with someone finding a leaked logo and posting it here. The person who was given the logo originally shouldn't have leaked it, but IMO once it's leaked the damage has been done, we might as well get a look at it.

What's really comical is that half of the people on this thread are against a leak, yet when a thread clearly labeled, "New Diamondbacks look" pops up, it gets a ridiculous number of views and replies. If everyone really is against a leak, then why do they look. That's like saying I know a crime is being committed, I won't participate, I'll just watch. If these people really believe a heinous crime is being committed, then why don't they alert the copyright owner when it's posted here. Any time someone steals one of our designs, everyone contacts the copyright owner to alert them. How many people called the Diamondbacks to tell them sportslogos.net had illegally posted their copyrighted material.

It's a very convenient morality to say that you are completely against something but secretly you hope someone else posts it so that you can look and comment.

What's really comical is that half of the people on this thread are against a leak, yet when a thread clearly labeled, "New Diamondbacks look" pops up, it gets a ridiculous number of views and replies. If everyone really is against a leak, then why do they look. That's like saying I know a crime is being committed, I won't participate, I'll just watch. If these people really believe a heinous crime is being committed, then why don't they alert the copyright owner when it's posted here. Any time someone steals one of our designs, everyone contacts the copyright owner to alert them. How many people called the Diamondbacks to tell them sportslogos.net had illegally posted their copyrighted material.

It's a very convenient morality to say that you are completely against something but secretly you hope someone else posts it so that you can look and comment.

It's generally interesting if someone posts something but it doesn't mean that someone should leak something they agreed not to leak just because a couple people show interest when it's posted. It doesn't mean they think it's right. A lot of people are intrigued when a murder story comes on the news, doesn't mean they support killing somebody.

It's generally interesting if someone posts something but it doesn't mean that someone should leak something they agreed not to leak just because a couple people show interest when it's posted. It doesn't mean they think it's right. A lot of people are intrigued when a murder story comes on the news, doesn't mean they support killing somebody.

Most people who "agreed" not to leak something don't. They're not that dumb. leaks mostly come from the people those people hand things off to. Messengers, mail room etc. people who never signed anything at all. So why is so bad for them to say "OH my god guess what I saw!'

Also everyone is always concerned about illegal, prosecuted, sued, but someone forward me one story of when a website was shut-down or a person prosecuted for leaking artwork. If I'm wrong and you can forward me a link to that type of story, I'll eat my hat. Otherwise I just think it's the culture of fear and the fear of a fake litigious society.

Most people who "agreed" not to leak something don't. They're not that dumb. leaks mostly come from the people those people hand things off to. Messengers, mail room etc. people who never signed anything at all. So why is so bad for them to say "OH my god guess what I saw!'

It's ok to say "guess what I saw." There is a big difference between that and posting artwork in a public forum for people to see. Nobody in the mail room is getting their hands on vector artwork.

Also everyone is always concerned about illegal, prosecuted, sued, but someone forward me one story of when a website was shut-down or a person prosecuted for leaking artwork. If I'm wrong and you can forward me a link to that type of story, I'll eat my hat. Otherwise I just think it's the culture of fear and the fear of a fake litigious society.

But wait! According to Blackjack, someone's gonna get SUED and is guaranteed to have to answer pointed questions from MLB's big mean lawyers!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Nobody say anything! Everybody stop talking!

We'll all get hauled off to jail!

I feel faint!

What's really comical is that half of the people on this thread are against a leak, yet when a thread clearly labeled, "New Diamondbacks look" pops up, it gets a ridiculous number of views and replies. If everyone really is against a leak, then why do they look.

why do people slow down in their cars around a car crash? same idea here I guess.

Archived